LegacyGT.com

New car time...Help Me Pick

This from Consumer Reports Best & Worst Automakers of 2009

(VW=Audi, Nissan=Infiniti etc...)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/resources/images/cars/new-cars/buying-advice/who-makes-the-best-cars/comparing-the-carmakers/best-cars-compare.jpg

Consumer Guides is the most biased car reviewing authority in existence. This is fairly common knowledge, even before this graph was posted. If you ever pick up one of their issues check out the car reviews. EVERY single American car gets the same scores, regardless of engine size, manufacturer, vehicle cost, or anything else important to potential buyers. They always get the lowest scores in everything. Even their 1 ton pickups don't score as well as Toyota Tacomas and Honda Ridgelines. Just the fact that Land Rover scored worse than Suzuki, and Mitsubishi scored worse than Toyota should tell you everything you need to know. Nevermind they just said that MB has the same reliability as Chrysler. Plus the fact that Chrysler scored dead last in test scores by leaps and bounsd is all the proof you need of their Japanese/import favoritism.

[threadjack]

If something does not line up with your view of the world - does not mean that this something is purposefully biased or wrong. I see nothing in this chart that wouldn't make sense to me on some level. And why should Mitsu score higher than Toyota?

And remember - a lot of their data comes from asking consumers directly.

[/threadjack]

Nevermind they just said that MB has the same reliability as Chrysler. Plus the fact that Chrysler scored dead last in test scores by leaps and bounsd is all the proof you need of their Japanese/import favoritism.

I too have thought this before....that is until I sat in a dodge avenger for a 2 hour road trip. The center console had at least 3 inches of travel that rattled and moved back and forth when driving down the highway, and the refrigerated glove box section was busted, (and broke in the 'ON' position) and leaked like a BP oil rig and froze my legs the whole trip. I would have turned on the radio to help me forget about it, but I couldn't hear any sound because the road noise was too loud. Chrysler makes some of the biggest pieces of garbage i've ever ridden in, and they deserve to be dead last IMO.

[threadjack]

If something does not line up with your view of the world - does not mean that this something is purposefully biased or wrong. I see nothing in this chart that wouldn't make sense to me on some level. And why should Mitsu score higher than Toyota?

And remember - a lot of their data comes from asking consumers directly.

[/threadjack]

http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

I know its a Mopar enthusiast website, but they do provide a very good amount of research, and the owner of the site (And the author of the article) actually does statistical research and consumer surveys as a day job. They provide independent research and news articles from other sources to back up their research. They also have quotes from journalists and people in the industry who all think that their car reviews and rating systems are vague, biased, and based on a small sample size. They also go into detail about peoples perceptions of issues with cars and manufacturers. Great article.

as "Grim" said,

[Regarding a comparison of the Acura TSX and Volvo S40], seeing them trash a car from a company I don't like confirmed their bias more than seeing them trash a car from a company I
do
like (where I might be biased myself). For example, in a one page review, they said
five
times that the Volvo had unacceptably tight rear legroom. This despite the fact that in the objective measurements published on the next page, the Volvo had as much legroom as any other car in the comparo (there were four) and more than most...They also call the Acura's gas mileage "good," while they call the Volvo's "acceptable." That's interesting, since they get the exact same mileage and the Volvo gets it on regular gas rather than premium like the Acura. They also ding the Volvo a couple of times for sluggish acceleration, despite the fact that it's only two-tenths slower to 60 than the Acura (which was "good" and "peppy"). Two-tenths falls well within the range of measurement error.

I stopped trusting them when I went over my GF's parents house and opened the CG that was sitting on their coffee table. I checked out the reviews and noticed that the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Honda Ridgeline got "Excellent" scores for towing and payload capacity, while the Ford F350 PowerStroke Diesel, Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, and Chevy 3500 Duramax Diesel got below "Below Average" scores. That's just BS any way you slice it. Not only did the small Jap pickups get better scores in every category including PAYLOAD and TOWING CAPACITY, but they all were in the same page of comparisons. They actually compared the one ton Yank pickups to compact Jap pickups, and still got beat. There was at least a $20K difference in the price of those trucks, but they still compared them and the small pickups still won. Obviously someone needs their head examined.

Now, back on topic. I'd personally go with the G37, but that's just me.

Look, I'm sure there are lots of statistical issues with their procedures, sample self-selection, data etc. As with any other voluntary response survey measure. But that does not amount to a purposeful bias.

And as a side note: I do not believe in any "independent research" unless it is coming from the academia, and even then I'll think about believing it only if it's published in a reputable peer-reviewed outlet.

CR to me is just a data reporting unit (I generally disregard their 'testing' stuff). Sure they probably could design a better survey, but switching to a different measure will de-value their existing data.

If you tried to buy it at Tim Dahle you can go back and forth on the trade. They low balled me on my trade but then I threatened to walk and they hooked me up big time.

It was Dahle...they weren't too interested when I left, but i'm thinking i'll try again at the end of the month when someone needs numbers:lol:

probably don't want to deal with another modified subaru trade. mine was an 08 sti :p lol

I returned mine to stock 100%...only modifications are Subaru ones (short shifter, etc.). Clean title, etc....is $8500 a typical trade offer? That seems ridiculous to me for a car with 65k on the clock.

I returned mine to stock 100%...only modifications are Subaru ones (short shifter, etc.). Clean title, etc....is $8500 a typical trade offer? That seems ridiculous to me for a car with 65k on the clock.

they offered me 25k for my 08 STi, not sure what a LGT would fetch. My 06 LGT traded in for 17k (back in 08 when I got my STi)...

Sounds a couple thousand short to me.

Archived