LegacyGT.com

Is the LGT really a 'sleeper'?

So I cruise over to one of the local golf courses to pick my step-father up a green fee for his birthday. I park the car and notice this guy in his late 50's carrying a driver, and he's kind of lingering around, eyeballing me. I thought that this was a little wierd, but I step out of the car, arm it, and then I started to head over to the pro shop.

The guy intercepted me and said "That's quite some hot-rod you have over there! What does it get - 275 horsepower or something like that?"

I couldn't help but smile. "Actually, it comes stock with 250 horsepower, and 250 foot-pounds of torque - but I modified my chip to give it 285 horse and 305 in torque."

He pointed towards this very well-kept mid-to-late 90s Cadillac Deville STS. "Yeah, I was thinking of trading that in for one of those Subarus. I get 280 horse out of that, and it's fun to drive as well, but I'm wanting something a bit more sporty."

We kept talking about our cars a little more, but I was just tickled by the fact that this guy knew about my LGT and what it was capable of. We got done talking and I went into the pro shop to get my step-father's birthday present.

As I leave, I noticed that there was a Red Bull promo going on, and so I drove right up to the Red Bull truck and ask if they were giving out free drinks - which they were. One of the Red Bull guys looked at my LGT, looked inside and all around, and said "Wow, that's quite some setup you got there!" I thanked him and he gave me a Red Bull, and then I drove off. He was eyeballing the car the whole time.

When I drove my last car (a 2001.5 VW 'New' Passat), I never got these kinds of comments. I find it amazing that this car gets so much recognition on the road, yet you don't see too many on the roads quite yet.

You learn something new everyday: you may think that you've got a sleeper, but there are more people out there that know more about this car than you might think. At least that's what I realized that day.

D.SCOTT

We got quite a positive reaction from a valet the other day after he returned our LGT wagon and this was at a restaurant with many cars priced well above the LGT. Of course, I'm not sure it's a good thing when valets are impressed by your car...it makes you wonder what they did with it to find out.

True. This is Denver, CO. There are plenty of Subarus around here. Just not as many LGTs yet. Let me emphasize 'yet'. I'm willing to bet that they'll 'quietly' catch up.

i believe there will be more wagons than sedans in CO, which is good. :D

This Space For Rent

Here in MN the OBXT is definitely a sleeper. Subie people know, but everyone else just sees it as a slow but able tree-huggin' mobile. I'm fine with that. The Eclipse I toasted at a highway stoplight yesterday was definitely shocked, especially with 2 kayaks and a bike up top. :)

my boss asked me why I bought a sedan instead of a sleek sports car like the other younger employees at my office (who just bought an STi, 350z, and '91 porsche 911)...

I just smiled and said i needed something more practical... didnt go on to mention how i could take 2 out of 3 of those in a race :)

so at least to some people, i'd say it counts as a sleeper.

ON the other hand --- I think the local rice boy population is aware of the LGT... i've gotten a few looks and revved at a few times.

I've gotten much less attention now that I've taken the spoiler off. I guess it looks like a Camry now. :lol:

Did get an older RX-7 to rev a little, but it was raining and he backed off when he took a little better look at my car. AWD is nice. ;)

If I could ditch the hood scoop I'd have the fastest 'Camry' in Washington!

tom

tom :)

I think the hood scoop makes people want to test it. my last car was more racer type and it had all the honda crowd wanting to race, now I'm getting more mature cars checking me out. The legacy puts you in a different class. I still think its mostly a sleeper but many are finding out the hard way, one stop light at a time. :)

The only thing I've got so far is good looks and when I'm getting gas people will tell me "nice car" or the like. But at school it's a total sleeper. The kid with the Sunfire still thinks he could blow my doors off. :lol:

Lose the hood scoop??? That is the best part.

If you really wanted to, though, I am thinking FMIC, and an Outback 3.0 Hood (with the raised lines, just a little more agressive than 2.5i hood)

Then you'd keep the turbo, and have no give-a-way hood scoop, and really suprise some folks.

I've gotten more people eyeing this car than my Modded WRX. I think the main reason would be because there are so few LGT on the road(especially up here in Toronto)as opposed to the WRX which is at every corner. Plus I noticed that it is not just younger people turning around, but middle aged people(30-40). Along with losing the hood scoop, the dual exhaust must go to make it look more sleeper like.

If you really wanted to, though, I am thinking FMIC, and an Outback 3.0 Hood (with the raised lines, just a little more agressive than 2.5i hood)

Then you'd keep the turbo, and have no give-a-way hood scoop, and really suprise some folks.

Exactly! Now you're talkin'! (except maybe the 2.5i hood is ultimate stealth) ;)

tom

tom :)

It seems that more and more people are noticing it. Word is starting to get out. Anyone know where I can get a Camry replica body kit for my LGT? It should only be a couple dollars to make up the difference....

I *like* being a sleeper. I've had mine about a month and haven't seen another one on the road yet!

Wait till the shopping cart guys at wally world start making nice comments.

Never thought anything about my 98 Contour SVT until the shopping cart

guys did the same as your guys at the golf course.

And I love catching the Mustang guys on a wet road!:lol:

Cheers, dave

Drive softly and carry big torque!

Archived