The Weight Reduction Thread

dr_sharp

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm very interested, but I don't carry my scale around when modifying my car :(

Your information may well be very useful for others :)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 8 months later...
Those batteries are a total pain... If they go dead once (which is very easy to do) then you lose enough of the holding capacity to make it not worth your while. Instead, I bought the smallest 'normal' type of battery Walmart had, which IIRC is a 25 series. Noticeably lighter and smaller than stock, still a real battery. No issues with it going low and being charged back up either jumped or better yet with my Battery Tendor Junior. I still intend to move my battery to the trunk, but definitely not going to a AGM or any of those fancy types that either burn money or don't last, or thus both.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...

he also sells a battery with a circuit board, i would hope that can prevent the battery from fully draining, for another 100$ to lose 34lbs, off the front top of the car, seems like the best weight reduction investment, just have to be more careful about your battery

If my 6mt swap comes through, i will be weighing all those parts, my car currently weighs 3320 w/ 1/2 tank no driver

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very interested to see some interior pics. I'm taking everything out to reduce as much as possible to perpare for a track, unfortunately no pics in this thread.. you might laugh but I would like to have my car at 2600 Ibs. That would involve cutting not needed metals everywhere in the car.

Believe we need to include the wieght of the fenders, bumpers and doors. If you could replace them with FRP, you would reduce too much! same thing goes with the hood.. I would say around 50 Ibs or more would be lost for a hood. Mirrors, need to be added too :)

I doubt 2600 is doable without really gutting the car and rendering it uninspectable for the street. Here is what I did to get down to 2990 - and I manage to get an inspection sticker on it every year in NH. Your results may differ. All this is in addition to the obvious stuff mentioned in this thread (like remove rear seat, floor mats, strip trunk, and use 11 lb battery).

• removed both front and rear bumper beams
  • Replaced exhaust Y-pipe and mufflers with a 3" straight pipe (I can't tell you how great it sounds!)
  • Installed light weight driver's seat, of course, and replaced passenger seat with a drag race plastic shell from Summit
  • Removed all stock seat belts and velocity reel mechanisms - replaced with racing belts in front.
  • Removed AC pump
  • Light weight flywheel
  • Removed interior stuff like sun visors and glove box cover (left all door panels, etc., so car still looks pretty stock in that respect.
  • Removed fog lights
  • Lightweight underdrive engine pulleys
  • Aftermarket wheels with lightest track tires (BFG g-force R1)
  • Empty windshield washer bottle
  • Removed heat shielding under trunk
  • Replaced stock struts and springs with coilovers

I may have forgotten a couple of things.

To get more weight off, a biggie would be gutting the doors (getting rid of the power window mechanisms and replacing the side glass with plexiglass. A thin, flap-in-the-wind trunk and hood would help too.

Be carefull about cutting out "unnecessary" metal.

Be carefull about cutting out "unnecessary" metal.
yeah that's why I'm trying to find someone who has already done :)

+ the power window mechanisms and the side glass.. + the hood, fenders and doors.. hope to do all of this sometime..

• 4 weeks later...
stock glove box is very heavy due to a weight inside it to make it lower on its own when opened. I think the glove box door can be opened, and the weight can be removed.

Not sure if anyone has done this yet but I removed the weight today. SUPER easy. The weight is(according to my super accurate bathroom scale method) ~2.5lbs.

How to:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/removing-glove-box-weight-weight-reduction-183444.html

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So my braille died after 1 year of no use - not surprised, totally expected. I am putting serious consideration into Li-ion battery...

Anyone know of a quick/easy way to clean oil off of engine internals?

lol

Im unsure what you mean but if you mean clean internals that are not in the block you need to use a solvent. A molecular layer of oil will be left on the metal otherwise. Clean (oil free) metal is typically hydrophyllic not hydrophobic as the oil causes the beading of water on the surface. I know a few suicidal jackoffs that use gasoline to do it but I also know one who spent some time in the hospital with a melted arm (kid you not). I suggest something like mineral spirits (paint thinner). Please, please do not use gasoline. Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived