LegacyGT.com

Do we get the JDM key???

[quote name='agctr']The 2.5 GT will be in Oz sometime soon so this will mean that we have the good motor with the Key to go with it. Just totally unsure why the keys would be different anyway. Hmm so much for market research, this just shows it works..... Adam.[/QUOTE] Well, you just live in a magical land I don't want to hear about! ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='gtguy']But if Subaru had the same brand identity in the USDM as they have in Japan, I could understand the feeling that they are coming up short. But a $36K Subaru with nav, HIDs, etc, etc, nobody would have bought, including me. After Subaru does the homework to improve brand identity and perception thereof, then they can start to add goodies, and boost price. Personally, I'll take the 2.5-liter turbo motor over HIDs, fancy key and a navigation system. Japan is a very different market, one in which Subaru is an aspirational car. A $35K Subaru in the USDM, and people are running to their local Acura, Volvo or BMW dealer as fast as they can, laughing all the way. Yes, the Subaru would be a better, faster car, but it doesn't have the mojo to compete yet in that near-luxury segment...yet. But they should be ready to go in a few years, just in time for my next new Subaru wagon. :D Kevin[/QUOTE] From Subaru's US site (Outback VDC): Base MSRP $33,495 Transmission $0 $0 Accessories $0 Destination & Delivery $575 [b]Total $34,070 [/b] That price is before any small add-on's. The point is that Subaru sells a $34K SUV replacement, why not a similarly priced sport sedan/wagon (with more emphasis on sport) with features to match the price-point? They hit a home run with the WRX - sized like a Civic but priced like an Accord and performance on par with an M3. They didn't bring an underequipped car and try to change customer focus with marketing. They brought a kick-ass car that had no equal (at the time) and marketed the heck out of the performance qualities - this changes brand identity. Build it, and they will come. My point is that the current Legacy GT lacks identity. It is not going to steal sales from the Accord/Camry or the TL/G35(x) buyers. It is a niche car in relation to the midsize family car (w/ AWD, available turbo motor), and underspec'ed in relation to the near-lux segment (no HID's, NAV, or premium sound). Both Acura and Infiniti have found great success with building BMW 3 series competitors for 75% of the price - what is Subaru's target with their marketing and product mix? Next time I talk to a family friend, I will ask him and report back (marketing guy at SOA). [b]To quote Mr. Miyagi ...."Walk on left side of road? Safe. Walk on right side of road? Safe. Walk in middle? Get squished, just like grape."[/b]

Here's what we need to do. Start with the immobilizer key and the seperate remote. Get some duct tape. Place the transmitter on top of the key and tape it up. Cut out a hole for the trunk release button. The panic button will be covered, but the combination key didn't have that anyway. :)

All keys should be like the E46 key, I swear its the best key for any car south of Ferrari. Simple design easy to use, nice and small. I will need to find pictures. picture- BMW symbol is lock, above it is unlock, and trunk is the other.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Just remember not to bother ordering this key as it WILL NOT EVER fit in your ignition as it is a total different design. (even though yes it does look cooler) Funny how important looks become when you all of a sudden think that you are missing out on something :lol: :lol: Parousia.

[quote name='B4_Maniac']See title!![/QUOTE] Looks like my key, except for the boot opener (only for B4, not wagons). The JDM key is also immobilliser key, linked to the factory fit security alarm system.

05LegacyGT330Ci, yes have to agree the E46 key is very well designed. All funtional in the one easy to use and store key. The AUDI keys are even better, similar design but the actual key part flicks out at the press of a button. Would be better if that key fitted an M though! Adam.

I hate the Audi/VW keys I don't like how the flip out, looks cheesy to me and don't like the just block shape of the key. What do you mean better if that key fitted an M though, the same key is used for the entire E46 line. Well here in America atleast.

Personally, I think we have JDMitis. Had the JDM gotten a separate key fob with the locator and panic functions, while we got the single key, with buttons on the key, this thread would still exist, only it would read something like: Hey, the JDM gets a separate key fob with those cool features, while we just get them built into this one dinky key, that's too big in my pocket. We ALWAYS get hosed! :D Kevin

[quote name='agctr']I know I know, I was saying in your case, it would be better if your key fitted an M.[/QUOTE] Well poo on you atleast my engine didn't blow up.:)

[quote name='gtguy']Personally, I think we have JDMitis. Had the JDM gotten a separate key fob with the locator and panic functions, while we got the single key, with buttons on the key, this thread would still exist, only it would read something like: Hey, the JDM gets a separate key fob with those cool features, while we just get them built into this one dinky key, that's too big in my pocket. We ALWAYS get hosed! :D Kevin[/QUOTE] Riiiiiiiiight.

[quote name='patagonianwrx']I did evaluate the car on it's on merits and ordered a LGT limited wagon w/ 5Sp. Then, I see this and feel like Subaru left my money on the table. I could (and would) ante up if this car were available here in some form. This car has the options to compete (17"F/15" disc brakes, 18" wheels, leather recaros, HID's, hi-end audio system available): [url="http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/wrlimited/index.html"]http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/wrlimited/index.html[/url] or translated, for those who don't speak japanese: [url="http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.subaru.co.jp%2flegacy%2fwrlimited%2findex.html"]http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.subaru.co.jp%2flegacy%2fwrlimited%2findex.html[/url] Is Subaru trying to compete with the Camry/Accord segment or the 3 Series/Acura TL/Infiniti G35 crowd? IMHO, the reason the new Legacy hasn't sold well is that they missed the mark.....they should go toe to toe with the near-lux cars. They have the goods, they just didn't deliver for the USDM cars. The simple key we get is just one example.... I had the same immobilizer technology in the key to my '98 Accord.[/QUOTE]I'll keep the USDM key until the global "platform" system takes over like it has at Ford, GM and DC and standardizes the top level car "accoutrements" across the global mix. BTW and FWIW - Noticed that adding the Macintosh system to the WR Legacy B4 and Touring Wagon adds an addtional 10kg (22 more pounds) to it's overall weight. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='crapy']okay... not sure asked before, but can't we input the JDM key, and use it on the USDM? i know the cut of JDM is different from USDM, but can we "attach" the USDM into the JDM remote? (....seems to be a stupid question....)[/QUOTE] and probably my stupid answer...but isnt the metal part coded aas well in the immobiliser...otherwise would be too easy to copy keys

Yes both parts are coded.... Being that the keys are so different in design I think you could probably hack the blade from your current key into the JDM key-head but I dont think it would fit just right, you would probably have to glue the head in. Firstly you would have to get a locksmith or Subaru to order you in a headless key blank made of Brass or Nickel Silver its to kind you get for your wallet some times. Then you would have to order the JDM key top (which I am sure comes as a separate piece) then see if Subaru here can program it for your car. Sounds like a lot of work for no extra POWER :confused: Get a new up-pipe instead :D :D Parousia

[quote name='fbi012']and I just noticed that there's no panic botton on the remote, one side has unlock/;lock, trunk and the other has the subaru sign.[/QUOTE] Only time I use the panic button is when I forget where I parked my car.

Archived