LegacyGT.com

Do we get the JDM key???

hey, look at this picture, focus more on the key. This key looks much nicer to me compared to what we have. I hate the one I have coz it keeps hitting my foot whenever I hit a pothole and that is annoying.

I asked kingofimports if he can get me one, hope he can!

key.jpg.c8ee1728d788b286e9f57e1e4c864f6b.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually they do get Canadian attention :P I dont really use it, if you want to locate ur car just press the lock botton 3 times and it beeps once so no need for panic, just hope the JDM key can be setup to the same frequencies we have.

Actually what we have here is a lot more than just a key.... The key inset in the first image is a high security key, common to many higher line vehicles that may only be cut by the dealer or licensed Locksmith (which I am). The fact that the car does not come with this feature (yet) will save us all $ today, as usually the purchase of one of these keys (from the dealer) costs upwards of $50. The actual security increase from 1 of these keys is negligable on our cars as it stops the very high lvl crime, crimes that start with VIN # ordered key codes that can be duplicated anywhere. Restricting the ability to duplicate the key makes it much harder for the wrong people to easily steal your car with an actual key. Obviously if you use a valet parker a lot this key would increase your security immensely but in my experience this upgrade is not as important as others I would like to see. (like 2 -3 memory seats). Parousia

[quote name='godwhomismike']I noticed with autos - in this great country we get the worst cars, the worst quality crap, and none of the fun options - I thought in this country we had deeper pockets than other countries - why do we pay more and get less? I dunno, example look at Aussie Fords like the Falcon and look then at the USA Ford line up - Aussie fords have all the high tech gadgets and stuff where usa Fords are lucky to get a cd player. Subaru - I believe the usa market was the only market not to get the navi as an option on the '05 Legacy, and we're also getting the crappy looking key. Plus a lot of cars that are imported in to the USA get lower set speed governers - especially the Audi's where they're set to now 130mph for all Audi's for the USA market. From an auto enthusiast view point - seems like the USA is the worst place to live if you like cars. - Mike edit: What about automakers that detune cars for the usa market? :evil:[/quote] Ask the JDM guys if they would rather have a fancy key, or an extra half-liter of displacement? :lol: There are things we don't get in this market because Americans are cheap, poor drivers and saddled with artifically low speed limits. Why have unlimited top speed in a car where most highways have a 55 mph speed limit? Why offer a $3,000 navigation system to people who were howling about the Legacy being already too expensive at $30K? Why offer a stiff Spec B suspension when the mass market (majority of car purchasers) doesn't understand why "this car rides so hard." In other markets, Subaru is an aspirational brand, particularly in the JDM. The market base and market share exists, which makes it easy for Subaru to justify offering nicer options, because they know people will gladly pay for them. Here, a Subaru is "inexpensive and built to stay that way." They will have a lot of work to do to overcome that. Here, people want everything, but cheap, please, which just isn't possible. Kevin

[quote name='B4_Maniac']See title!![/quote] This key is really long.... Just to get a feel of it, we could not find any key pouch that could hold the key as it keep stick out of the pouch. Maybe they will have a smaller version in future or a foldable one. In the meantime, u dun really miss much. :wink:

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='godwhomismike']I noticed with autos - in this great country we get the worst cars, the worst quality crap, and none of the fun options - I thought in this country we had deeper pockets than other countries - why do we pay more and get less? I dunno, example look at Aussie Fords like the Falcon and look then at the USA Ford line up - Aussie fords have all the high tech gadgets and stuff where usa Fords are lucky to get a cd player. Subaru - I believe the usa market was the only market not to get the navi as an option on the '05 Legacy, and we're also getting the crappy looking key. Plus a lot of cars that are imported in to the USA get lower set speed governers - especially the Audi's where they're set to now 130mph for all Audi's for the USA market. From an auto enthusiast view point - seems like the USA is the worst place to live if you like cars. - Mike edit: What about automakers that detune cars for the usa market? :evil:[/quote] Ask the JDM guys if they would rather have a fancy key, or an extra half-liter of displacement? :lol: There are things we don't get in this market because Americans are cheap, poor drivers and saddled with artifically low speed limits. Why have unlimited top speed in a car where most highways have a 55 mph speed limit? Why offer a $3,000 navigation system to people who were howling about the Legacy being already too expensive at $30K? Why offer a stiff Spec B suspension when the mass market (majority of car purchasers) doesn't understand why "this car rides so hard." In other markets, Subaru is an aspirational brand, particularly in the JDM. The market base and market share exists, which makes it easy for Subaru to justify offering nicer options, because they know people will gladly pay for them. Here, a Subaru is "inexpensive and built to stay that way." They will have a lot of work to do to overcome that. Here, people want everything, but cheap, please, which just isn't possible. Kevin[/quote] Kevin, Looking at it that way, I have to agree. Also, having seen my friend's VW key flob with the snap open key - I thought that was very slick - slicker than the JDM key. btw... It's been almost 4 months since I wrote that post, so long that I forgot I wrote it - what took ya so long to respond - lol - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='godwhomismike']I noticed with autos - in this great country we get the worst cars, the worst quality crap, and none of the fun options - I thought in this country we had deeper pockets than other countries - why do we pay more and get less? I dunno, example look at Aussie Fords like the Falcon and look then at the USA Ford line up - Aussie fords have all the high tech gadgets and stuff where usa Fords are lucky to get a cd player. Subaru - I believe the usa market was the only market not to get the navi as an option on the '05 Legacy, and we're also getting the crappy looking key. Plus a lot of cars that are imported in to the USA get lower set speed governers - especially the Audi's where they're set to now 130mph for all Audi's for the USA market. From an auto enthusiast view point - seems like the USA is the worst place to live if you like cars. - Mike edit: What about automakers that detune cars for the usa market? :evil:[/quote] Ask the JDM guys if they would rather have a fancy key, or an extra half-liter of displacement? :lol: There are things we don't get in this market because Americans are cheap, poor drivers and saddled with artifically low speed limits. Why have unlimited top speed in a car where most highways have a 55 mph speed limit? Why offer a $3,000 navigation system to people who were howling about the Legacy being already too expensive at $30K? Why offer a stiff Spec B suspension when the mass market (majority of car purchasers) doesn't understand why "this car rides so hard." In other markets, Subaru is an aspirational brand, particularly in the JDM. The market base and market share exists, which makes it easy for Subaru to justify offering nicer options, because they know people will gladly pay for them. Here, a Subaru is "inexpensive and built to stay that way." They will have a lot of work to do to overcome that. Here, people want everything, but cheap, please, which just isn't possible. Kevin[/quote] Kevin, Looking at it that way, I have to agree. Also, having seen my friend's VW key flob with the snap open key - I thought that was very slick - slicker than the JDM key. btw... It's been almost 4 months since I wrote that post, so long that I forgot I wrote it - what took ya so long to respond - lol - Mike[/quote] FCC-mandated delay. :lol: Kevin

I just put two and two together when I did the cust sat survey for my new GT.. They asked questions like.."What about your car would you like to change"? "Do you plan to modify your car..and if so what parts..?"...ect..ect.. So, it finaly hit me like a ton of bricks..SOA execs are probably reading this site and looking at those CUSTOMER SAT surveys and thinking to themselves.."Hey..since the people who buy these cars are going to change this particular part anyway..why should we ivest a ton of money in putting on the car.." So they figure they can skimp on features like the key..and the SAT NAV..and the aluminum control arms..bilstien shocks and struts..and a twin scroll turbo..Heck they even got away with not giving us a rear wiper.. Give them the extra half liter more of displancement..a imobilizer key..and bigger bumpers..and the Americans will be happy! :D I think that is utter B.S but, hey..I still bought the car like the rest of us.. :oops: When I interned at SOJ...oh so long ago..I felt that the company ran independently of the SOA..and for the most part it does.. But, when will they get the point that they can work together and add a sence of unity of their products world wide. Subaru's image would increase ten fold... B4..

[quote name='godwhomismike']ok back on topic... I think the key we have is ok. The JDM key is cooler, but the coolest key out there is the VW/Audi keys. - Mike[/quote] We are on topic...it's just the key is a small part in understanding the diffrences and the thinking that goes behind our cars..

[quote name='B4_Maniac'][quote name='godwhomismike']ok back on topic... I think the key we have is ok. The JDM key is cooler, but the coolest key out there is the VW/Audi keys. - Mike[/quote] We are on topic...it's just the key is a small part in understanding the diffrences and the thinking that goes behind our cars..[/quote] I wrote a whole off topic thing, then deleted it, but didn't remove "ok back on topic." - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike']I noticed with autos - in this great country we get the worst cars, the worst quality crap, and none of the fun options - I thought in this country we had deeper pockets than other countries - why do we pay more and get less? I dunno, example look at Aussie Fords like the Falcon and look then at the USA Ford line up - Aussie fords have all the high tech gadgets and stuff where usa Fords are lucky to get a cd player. Subaru - I believe the usa market was the only market not to get the navi as an option on the '05 Legacy, and we're also getting the crappy looking key. Plus a lot of cars that are imported in to the USA get lower set speed governers - especially the Audi's where they're set to now 130mph for all Audi's for the USA market. From an auto enthusiast view point - seems like the USA is the worst place to live if you like cars. - Mike edit: What about automakers that detune cars for the usa market? :evil:[/quote] The mass american public in general has very low standards for their cars. How else could GM and Ford stay in business stay in this country, if people didn't buy their shi*ty quality products. Also, love the hypocrosy of GM and Ford, when they sell higher quality products in Europe than they do right here at home. Which brings me back to my point, Europeans in general have higher standards than americans, hence the reasoning we get the short end of the stick most of the time. *Now this isn't the only reason, but you can't deny that this is a HUGE factor. ** american public (not including enthusiaist like ourselves who know ever product and option of foreign offerings)

[quote name='wukilla98'][quote name='godwhomismike']I noticed with autos - in this great country we get the worst cars, the worst quality crap, and none of the fun options - I thought in this country we had deeper pockets than other countries - why do we pay more and get less? I dunno, example look at Aussie Fords like the Falcon and look then at the USA Ford line up - Aussie fords have all the high tech gadgets and stuff where usa Fords are lucky to get a cd player. Subaru - I believe the usa market was the only market not to get the navi as an option on the '05 Legacy, and we're also getting the crappy looking key. Plus a lot of cars that are imported in to the USA get lower set speed governers - especially the Audi's where they're set to now 130mph for all Audi's for the USA market. From an auto enthusiast view point - seems like the USA is the worst place to live if you like cars. - Mike edit: What about automakers that detune cars for the usa market? :evil:[/quote] The mass american public in general has very low standards for their cars. How else could GM and Ford stay in business stay in this country, if people didn't buy their shi*ty quality products. Also, love the hypocrosy of GM and Ford, when they sell higher quality products in Europe than they do right here at home. Which brings me back to my point, Europeans in general have higher standards than americans, hence the reasoning we get the short end of the stick most of the time. *Now this isn't the only reason, but you can't deny that this is a HUGE factor. ** american public (not including enthusiaist like ourselves who know ever product and option of foreign offerings)[/quote] True, but what's also interesting is that for the most part, Europeans drive to their equipment, and for the most part, drive diesels, which are rarely performance-oriented. I was driving a Peugeot 307 wagon, which was an excellent car, and one that fit in perfectly with the roads and driving conditions there. I would, in KevinLand, make it much more difficult to get a driver's license, and tax the mess out of gas. Never forget how cheap gas allows us not to have to make choices about what we drive. In France, for example, $3.75 of the $5 per gallon gas price is tax. THAT is how it should be. Drive less, think more. And use the proceeds to fund usable mass transit. It isn't that Americans have low standards, its that they don't know any better. If you only have to drive 55 mph, you don't ever find out how bad your car is. If, as in France, the speed limit is 82 mph, then things begin to rear their ugly heads, people complain, and cars get better. The suspension firmness of the average new car sold in France would be unacceptable to most Americans here. It isn't that automakers conspire to give us less, but that we REQUIRE less. Europeans know how to drive, and they know when a car sucks, when it sucks, it doesn't survive. That's why American automakers have a hard time selling over there. I had a Ford Mondeo, and a Peugeot 406, both wagons, and about the same size. The Mondeo was regular, and wasn't that much faster than the 406, a diesel. But the 406 handled much better, and was more fun to drive. The other point is that Europeans know how to drive. They don't barrel up to a corner, slam on the brakes and putter around the corner. They downshift, choose an appropriate gear and keep on rolling. They demand cars that suit their conditions, and unfortunately, so does the mass market here. If people stopped buying crappy cars, automakers would stop making them. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'] Rather than assessing the USDM car according the the JDM car, evaluate the car that we get on its own merits. Looking at the grass in the other yard leads to permanent dissatisfaction, wee hopper. Kevin[/QUOTE] I did evaluate the car on it's on merits and ordered a LGT limited wagon w/ 5Sp. Then, I see this and feel like Subaru left my money on the table. I could (and would) ante up if this car were available here in some form. This car has the options to compete (17"F/15" disc brakes, 18" wheels, leather recaros, HID's, hi-end audio system available): [url]http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/wrlimited/index.html[/url] or translated, for those who don't speak japanese: [url]http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.subaru.co.jp%2flegacy%2fwrlimited%2findex.html[/url] Is Subaru trying to compete with the Camry/Accord segment or the 3 Series/Acura TL/Infiniti G35 crowd? IMHO, the reason the new Legacy hasn't sold well is that they missed the mark.....they should go toe to toe with the near-lux cars. They have the goods, they just didn't deliver for the USDM cars. The simple key we get is just one example.... I had the same immobilizer technology in the key to my '98 Accord.

[quote name='patagonianwrx']I did evaluate the car on it's on merits and ordered a LGT limited wagon w/ 5Sp. Then, I see this and feel like Subaru left my money on the table. I could (and would) ante up if this car were available here in some form. This car has the options to compete (17"F/15" disc brakes, 18" wheels, leather recaros, HID's, hi-end audio system available): [url]http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/wrlimited/index.html[/url] or translated, for those who don't speak japanese: [url]http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.subaru.co.jp%2flegacy%2fwrlimited%2findex.html[/url] Is Subaru trying to compete with the Camry/Accord segment or the 3 Series/Acura TL/Infiniti G35 crowd? IMHO, the reason the new Legacy hasn't sold well is that they missed the mark.....they should go toe to toe with the near-lux cars. They have the goods, they just didn't deliver for the USDM cars. The simple key we get is just one example.... I had the same immobilizer technology in the key to my '98 Accord.[/QUOTE] I just priced out the wrlimited on their site. Only options were the exterior stuff and dvd nav...came out to be 4493080 Yen, or $40,957.88. Imagine that, PLUS tax and terrifs, as well as all the other dealer markups, we'd probably be looking at about $45k+ in the US. I think I could do better with what we get and some nice aftermarket parts, and I'll just have to live with my key.

[quote name='patagonianwrx']I did evaluate the car on it's on merits and ordered a LGT limited wagon w/ 5Sp. Then, I see this and feel like Subaru left my money on the table. I could (and would) ante up if this car were available here in some form. This car has the options to compete (17"F/15" disc brakes, 18" wheels, leather recaros, HID's, hi-end audio system available): [url]http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/wrlimited/index.html[/url] or translated, for those who don't speak japanese: [url]http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.subaru.co.jp%2flegacy%2fwrlimited%2findex.html[/url] Is Subaru trying to compete with the Camry/Accord segment or the 3 Series/Acura TL/Infiniti G35 crowd? IMHO, the reason the new Legacy hasn't sold well is that they missed the mark.....they should go toe to toe with the near-lux cars. They have the goods, they just didn't deliver for the USDM cars. The simple key we get is just one example.... I had the same immobilizer technology in the key to my '98 Accord.[/QUOTE] But if Subaru had the same brand identity in the USDM as they have in Japan, I could understand the feeling that they are coming up short. But a $36K Subaru with nav, HIDs, etc, etc, nobody would have bought, including me. After Subaru does the homework to improve brand identity and perception thereof, then they can start to add goodies, and boost price. Personally, I'll take the 2.5-liter turbo motor over HIDs, fancy key and a navigation system. Japan is a very different market, one in which Subaru is an aspirational car. A $35K Subaru in the USDM, and people are running to their local Acura, Volvo or BMW dealer as fast as they can, laughing all the way. Yes, the Subaru would be a better, faster car, but it doesn't have the mojo to compete yet in that near-luxury segment...yet. But they should be ready to go in a few years, just in time for my next new Subaru wagon. :D Kevin

[quote name='NicoGamine']Hum... you sure? The only ones I saw at the test drive and in the brochure is the one in the picture SUBE555 posted, separate key and remote. Nicolas[/QUOTE] That's really weird, b/c my 2.5GT Limited didn't come with the all in one key, it's like the one that SUBE555 posted. Can any other Canucks confirm?

The 2.5 GT will be in Oz sometime soon so this will mean that we have the good motor with the Key to go with it. Just totally unsure why the keys would be different anyway. Hmm so much for market research, this just shows it works..... Adam.

Archived