LegacyGT.com

Went back to stock..oil leak?

Hey I need help with this one. I went back to stock from stage 2+. Took off my up pipe with external wastegate and replaced it with an sti catless up. Took my dp and cbe off and put on the stock one. About the stock, one of the mufflers had water in it (could be the problem?). While doing this, I had to take off part of the headers and I didnt put the upper part of the heat shield back in. I also did an oil change during this time. I went for a 10 minute drive and my car starts smoking. Smells like burning oil. I look into the hood and find oil on the front subframe...dripping. There is also smoke coming from the downpipe section, the turbo area, and in front of the engine. Of course when I went back to stock I unmarried the AP. Any suggestions?

Edit: one more thing, when I heat boost, I hear a high pitched sound, like a boost leak. Could this be it?

Edit again: my only guess is that the water is backing up the exhaust and not letting anything flow out and therefor clogging the whole exhaust system and the turbo.

Suggestion 1 - look for oil leaks :lol:

Some smoking is normal after an oil change if oil leaked form the filter area onto the heat shield. It should go away pretty quickly (although I have seen the smoke last for a while and the smell last for literally weeks, although on a decreasing basis). However, lots of smoke that doesn't stop or reduce is obviously a problem.

where could oil be leaking from? The only places that I touched that have to do with oil are the oil pan bolt and the filter. Did not touch the turbo at all during my uninstall. Hopefully it is just residue oil?

I'm not sure how you managed to replace the UP and the DP without touching the turbo. :confused:

Check the places you did touch. Make sure the filter is tight. Check the torque on your turbo/UP bolts, and your turbo/DP bolts. Did you use new gaskets? Did you get any oil on the exhaust at any point? One thing about UP installs... there is a plastic "half-moon" plug in the cylinder head where they perform the line-bore operation for the cam bearing surfaces. That plug can get knocked out of place if you are getting caveman with the UP.

after further investigation, I have found the oil leak to be from the passenger side around the front axle area. Could I have kinked something while taking out the up pipe? Checked the oil level, it is still Full.

Well, could be a couple things...

The turbo oil feed and drain are both directly above the passenger side front axle. If you tugged on the turbo you could have popped off the drain line, or fatigued and cracked the feed line.

The half-moon plug is on the back of the cylinder head, right near where the UP goes from the exhaust manifold to the turbo. I'll dig up a pic.

Here ya go... the green circle shows where the turbo oil return line connects to and the red shows the lower half-moon plug.

I'll check back in a few... (This is Rick/Underdog, I'm on two computers... sorry for the confusion :lol:)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6089/img7842h.jpg

Oh! the oil leak is def not from there. It is around the turbo somewhere I think. But I will check anyway. I REALLY REALLY appreciate the help. You have no idea how pissed I am right now. I spent all night trying to get every rusty bolt off. Even taking the downpipe off was a pain in the ass because the EWG took up so much room.

after a drive with a couple pulls, it is smoking again but I hope it is just the residue oil getting burnt off. I will leave my car on idle and see if there are drips of oil anywhere. There is also a boost leak but that is the least of my concerns right now. Thanks so much guys. Its weird seeing rao not leaking any sarcastic comments so far. :]

Shall we assume you'll soon be trading in this "bone stock" car?

Then some fool will end up buying an "untouched" SpecB because it's obviously in better shape than one that was modded and driven hard -- even though that's the exact plans of the new buyer!

No im not selling my spec b. I just decided to drive a stock car and have a designated track car. Why would you assume that 1) I would cheat the buyer and say my car is untouched and 2) I drove my car hard and abused my car? I dont know but somehow I read that as a very offensive comment.

Archived