LegacyGT.com

drivetrain swaps???

i'm wondering what motors and transmissions i can put into a 93 legacy wagon L. i would like to find something that i can do in a day. i've gotten pretty proficient at doing 2jz swaps with two ppl out and in and running with slight tune in 12hrs. i'm not sure if it will be easier or harder on subaru's tho, i've never worked on one. but i just want to see what my options are as far as what i can drop in with as little fabrication as possible. also wiring harnesses, are the basically universal for na's or not?

Depends on how much money you have. An EJ205T would probably fit (saying probably because most of the engines are swappable between these cars) but it would require also purchasing other components rearward of the ranch as well. It would also be fun to tune and make your car freakin fly! And with a black FMIC it'd be a perfect sleeper. I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure it could be done.

There's also the EJ22T which is the Legacy Turbo engine from the sport sedan. Harder to find, but affordable and should be a straight swap. It's not a ridiculously strong engine or anything, but it's still an upgrade.

Subaru engines all use the same transmission bolt pattern and engine mount locations. Theoretically, you can drop any Subaru motor right into that car with little hassle. Most exhaust manifolds can be made to bolt up with little hassle as well. Your only limited by the extent of your imagination and the electronic components you have on hand. The exception to the engine swap is the old Justy 3 cylinders, but your never going to find one of those and even if you did you wouldn't want to use it anyway. :lol:

Subaru engines all use the same transmission bolt pattern and engine mount locations. Theoretically, you can drop any Subaru motor right into that car with little hassle. Most exhaust manifolds can be made to bolt up with little hassle as well. Your only limited by the extent of your imagination and the electronic components you have on hand. The exception to the engine swap is the old Justy 3 cylinders, but your never going to find one of those and even if you did you wouldn't want to use it anyway. :lol:

Except for maybe that twin turbo from the JDM Legacy's. I think it'd get in the way of brake components ;)

so get this i call around to a couple salvage yards, and i find one that has subaru parts. i tell him i'm looking for an auto trans and a motor out of an impreza. and he keeps going on about what year? and im like from 93 and up. i tell him they r all the same if its auto trans and past 95 they r all the same. and he tells me oh ur one of those guys... and i'm like what guys? and he says one of those ppl who thinks everything is the same. and i tell him they are the same. they are all 4EAT's. and i'm also looking for any ej20 or ej22 motor. and yet again he gives me the what year thing. so i tell him they are the same, if it says ej20 or ej22 im looking for it. then he tells me he doesn't have time for this and hangs up. wtf man? arent the guys who works at the salvage yards supposed to be knowledgeable about cars? lol

LOL! What a faggot...just tell him you're looking for a 93, 94, 95 or 96. Then if he says he doesn't have any of those tell him you want a 97, 98 or 99 :D

Also...I believe the H6 will require some welding on the front bracings and adjusting some of the radiator and condenser and possibly the bumper. I'm not 100% but I'm assuming since it will be longer. Probably not worth it. You should get the twin turbo Legacy motor though. They're usually cheaper and have lower miles since most of them come from Japan ;)

TT for maybe $800-1000. Not sure how awesome they are, but still...awesome

If I'm not wrong the H6 do have chain driven cams instead, so it's a bit more compact on that part. So I suspect that it would be possible to make the H6 fit but that some parts like radiator hosing and other details may have to be rearranged.
453747.png

Archived