LegacyGT.com

Prelude - any contest?

Guest JessterCPA

Guest JessterCPA

Hey all.

At my new office is a guy with a Last Generation Honda Prelude. Not sure if its an SH or not.

He has 18's on it, a big exhaust tip, clear corners, and a body kit. Actually, it's a real nice looking car. Very shiny. Looks like he takes a lot of care with it.

What my question is, lets just say we both are bolting out of here at 5pm.

Lets just say we both had a real bad day & are looking to take some frustration out on our cars.

Lets just say we both meet up at the local stoplight.

Lets just say we both had the same idea about what to do when the light turns green.

Is this any contest? I have NO mods done to my 2005 5EAT GT.

Thanks.

Jesse

Hey all.

At my new office is a guy with a Last Generation Honda Prelude. Not sure if its an SH or not.

He has 18's on it, a big exhaust tip, clear corners, and a body kit. Actually, it's a real nice looking car. Very shiny. Looks like he takes a lot of care with it.

What my question is, lets just say we both are bolting out of here at 5pm.

Lets just say we both had a real bad day & are looking to take some frustration out on our cars.

Lets just say we both meet up at the local stoplight.

Lets just say we both had the same idea about what to do when the light turns green.

Is this any contest? I have NO mods done to my 2005 5EAT GT.

Thanks.

Jesse

i'd say with honda being notorious for lack of teh torque, you could beat him in neutral:D

old gen VTEC ludes were mid 6 cars. the last gen got more power (all had the VTEC motor), but more weight too. they were high 6 - low 7 cars. Figure a few bolt'ons would offset the heavy rollers. Call it a draw, unless he sucks as a driver.

stock H22 = 145-ish whp/135-ish tq

I had one. Well ... mine had a blower. But that's a stock setup.

The VTEC gives it a little punch but you'll catch up if you slipped into a coma off the line. SH model includes the ATTS system which basically auto-levels the car in hard cornering. Active suspension if you will. It works but it's really intrusive and is about the size of a lawnmower engine.

stock H22 = 145-ish whp/135-ish tq

I had one. Well ... mine had a blower. But that's a stock setup.

The VTEC gives it a little punch but you'll catch up if you slipped into a coma off the line. SH model includes the ATTS system which basically auto-levels the car in hard cornering. Active suspension if you will. It works but it's really intrusive and is about the size of a lawnmower engine.

i thought the 99 VTECs were putting out 190hp? perhaps i've been misinformed:eek:

SH model includes the ATTS system which basically auto-levels the car in hard cornering. Active suspension if you will. It works but it's really intrusive and is about the size of a lawnmower engine.

ATTS is Honda's substitution for a limited slip differential. Instead of responding to outside wheel slip and transferring torque to the inside wheel, it responds to steering angle input to predictively transfer torque to the inside wheel and decrease the tendency for the nose heavy FWD car to push.

Has nothing to do with the suspension, per se. It's just another interaction factor in cornering.

Guest JessterCPA
ATTS is Honda's substitution for a limited slip differential. Instead of responding to outside wheel slip and transferring torque to the inside wheel, it responds to steering angle input to predictively transfer torque to the inside wheel and decrease the tendency for the nose heavy FWD car to push.

Has nothing to do with the suspension, per se. It's just another interaction factor in cornering.

If my memory serves me correctly, it had a Yaw sensor that the system used to re-distribute power in times of need. Thats all I remember. I also remember asking "What the heck is a Yaw Sensor?"

SH = more weight and slower. Your advantage.

Stock for stock you'd probably have him, especially if he had the SH.

With his mods = Driver's race at 2,000 feet in elevation and below.

Obviously if you are higher up in elevation, you have advantage.

I should say, "driver's race if he's a manual"

If it's auto to auto, you'll take him without a problem.

Couple buddies and I formed a Prelude group down here in MD. So all the original members were like "omg i got mad hp .. we _HAVE_ to go on a dyno". Correct. 190 on paper/at the engine. It's a honda. If you legitimately want to go stinkin' fast in it, buy a S2K or a NSX.

I think mine was:

I/H/E, SC and my numbers were 195whp/175tq. One of the guys I still talk to put a turbo kit on his and pushed it to 215 and 180+. I forgot what psi he was running. My pulley was for 6. Most of the people that I've read online that have their hp beyond the 210-215 usually kill the motor a couple months later.

VTEC kicks in at about 2800-3k but it build to about 3500-4k. If it's sudden, the ecu takes a second or 2 to kick in the other cam lobs. Sort of like the "ohhh wait the driver wants to go fast ok hang on switching over". For the LGT, the turbo's already in full rinse cycle =P. The power is very linear compared to the honda. The blower made it worse because jackson racing timed the blower to when the vtec kicks in so I've almost lost control a couple times just pushing the gas. It was fun though.

from my old dusty 2000 issue of Sport Compact Car magazine, a stock 2000 prelude does 0-60 in about 7.5second.

give him a head start. :rolleyes:

Sport Compact Car almost ALWAYS has some of the slowest times for

nearly EVERY car when compared to ALL the other car mags.

I don't think SCC "corrects" for atmospheric/weather conditions and therefore

comparing their cars to each other is useless, unless they run them ALL

on the same day on the same track with the same drivers.

Most every other car mag has the Late 90's Preludes doing

0-60 in 6.6-6.7 seconds.

Last models did about 6.8 seconds.

The SH models were around 6.9-7.0 flat.

actually the article was for 8 great rides(under $xxxx) and amongst them were the celica gts, type-r, 2.5rs, golf gti, prelude sh etc.... these cars were all tested on the same track at the same time on the same day. for reference point, the type-r did 6.8 to 60mph.

I raced a riced prelude on the track and it ran a 17.8. (No idea on the engine) :rolleyes:

I read that on your Nasoic link.

That guy was a fool. Any stock, automatic Prelude would have done better. The idiot couldn't drive, plain and simple.

As for the 'other guy at the office,' it is going to depend on 1)his engine mods, 2)and whether or not he can drive it. An automatic Legacy GT is running high-14s in the 1/4, and a well-tuned Prelude can also do that or better.

There are some factory freaks out there. One of my friends still has his old 94 Prelude VTEC as a beater. It has around 140K miles of neglect and abuse and still runs great. I drove it recently and it still feels very strong. I'd imagine that my LGT would still handle it, but the old VTEC Prelude is not a slow car.

You'll beat a last-gen Prelude, especialy if it has the heavier "SH" package.

My buddy did have one with a 70 shot NoS which made it pretty fun in a straight line once in a while...

but your office mate rollin' on 18's will eat your dust.

• 3 weeks later...

I am bit late on this topic but before I bought the LGT, I owned a Prelude SH 1998 and a Prelude SE 2001.

The 2001 developed 200 HP, the 1998 developed 195. Similar performance, but the SH was a bit slower (the ATTS systems robbed a little power).

The Lude is a fast car, and well-driven, it can surprise some people. But torque and power comes high in the power curve, and if you are not revving it up a lot, it feels like any Honda Civic. VTEC kicks in at 5250 RPM, that's high and makes good launches difficult to do.

The verdict: the LGT is definitely faster, has more torque in the low end, and I would not hesitate to take on a Prelude. Unless you miss your launch and shifts, the Lude stands no chance to pull away.

Archived