LegacyGT.com

How to deal with new turbo w/o proper tune ?

f1anatic

I know a friend of a friend who is not on the boards and asked me to inquire here :confused:

He is considering changing his VF-40 to a VF-52. He is currently pro-tuned Stage 2. What can he do to be able to drive his car - for a few days - before he gets it pro-tuned with the new turbo ? Staying out of boost makes sense but can he physically do anything to prevent that ? Driving a different car is not an option nor can things be arranged in such manner that he can get a pro-tune the same day as the turbo replacement and/or at the same location.

Thanks.

The car will probably go lean, even at only wastegate pressure. I mean, I've seen STI's that swapped TGV-deletes and a ported stock intake manifold, and at cruise just barely dipping into open loop the AFR's wanted to go past 16 before he retuned it.

A bigger turbo and driving with an untuned MAF scaling is probably more extreme.

Under the hood :lol:

It is next to the map sensor, which is located just inboard of the turbo inlet as it goes from the MAF sensor under the intake manifold. You can't get to it easily unless you remove the engine cover. It should take about 5 seconds to remove the plug once the engine cover is off.

BTW, I would not recommend trying to see how fast the car is at wastegate pressure, but it will make it as safe as you can until the car is tuned.

It's a little gray box, about the size of a pack of matches, with two hoses and two wires going into it. One hose goes to the intake manifold, the other goes to a T fitting between the compressor nipple and the wastegate actuator.

Archived