LegacyGT.com

Looked at a WRX today

there was definitely a 2.0 turbo in a wrx lineup at some point...not sure if that made it to the states for the time of our later wrx, but it was in there. then they switched to a 2.5, again at some point, but LGT is right that there were two different ones at least.

In the USA I believe from 01-05 the WRX impreza had the ej20, so all bug eye impreza's and first gen STI style impreza's had the 2.0T and rated @ 227 hp at the fly. In 05 they switched to the 2.5L turbo which was only rated @ 230 hp at the fly, I believe these were single overhead cams, unlike a 05 LGT motor that is a dual over head cam ej255 and rated @ 250 hp @ the fly.

I'm thinkin unless someone swapped a new motor in that thing it was all parts to make it look like an STI. There is an article on wikipedia that tells you how to identify the different subaru motors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ255

I'd save up and do a WRX swap if I were you. I want to buy a project car same body style as you and do something similar.

97,xxx on the body, 37,xxx on the JDM motor

maybe, maybe not but atleast i wouldnt have to worry about getting challenged to race almost every day, i was planning to take the blow off valve and wrx off and just leave impreza, yesterday some guy with a Saab turbo wanted to race, 2.3 tubro, friends think i may have it off the line since the Saab is front wheel drive. who knows.

Archived