LegacyGT.com

test drove a 370z today

since i saw the new sti sedan in the nyc autoshow a few weeks ago I've had the urge to trade-in the LGT. since i am considering getting the new sti i figured i should also consider other cars so i checked out the 370.

the interior is more spacious than i expected but the hatch is smaller than i expected. the dealer didnt have a manual on hand to test so i took the auto trans for a spin. i must admit, it was kinda nice not having to switch gears for a change. the car accelerated very smoothly, handled well, and braking was impressive as well. seeing those huge fenders in the side mirrors would definitely take some getting used too, i'm assumng the 2011 sti would be similiar.

my only fear of the 370z is the winter driving. my leggy has spoiled me very much in bad road conditions and the 370z's low clearance, rwd, high hp/tq, and summer tires are a bad combo for NY winters. a winter beater would be inevitable, but insurance on a 2nd vehicle isn't ideal. as much as i would like to say the 370 is the car for me, its probably not. i will continue to wait for the 2011 sti sedan to hit showrooms and take one for a spin.

even with snow tires i still think the ground clearance would be an issue with the 370.i wonder how much higher the sti would be compared to the Z. the sti's awd would get it through the snow but with low clearance it would turn the bumper into a snow plow

Personally, I thought the 350z looked ok, but a bit gimmicky with the blocky details and embossed squares all over.

The 370z doesn't look good to me at all, but that is my taste.

For the mix between a Subaru and a 370z, though, I would seriously look at t G37x coupe.

AWD is not just for the G-series sedan anymore. But the G37x coupe is auto-only, like the Z that you drove.

Plus the G37 looks so much better. :D

When the 350 came out it was stunning, but the look did become dated pretty quick as other cars adopted similar styles. The 370, like Gire said is sex on wheels. I love it, but RWD won't work as year round transportation up here and it would likely cost more than I'd want to spend to get the model I want.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

Meh, I thought it was horrible (the 350) when it came out. Probably due to reading an interview with the designer saying that he was "recreating the classic look of the 240Z." I was actually in the market for a 240/280z at the time and didn't think it looked nearly as amazing. After a while my opinion changed slightly where it went from bad to ok.

I do like the look of the 370Z significantly more though, snake fangs or not.

Seeing as how I buy used cars though I doubt I'll be owning a 370Z or G37X/S anytime soon :(

I think that 370Z is sex on wheels. But I'd take a G37x sedan over it as I need more space for a family and AWD certainly helps me in the winter too.

I couldn't agree more. :D I really like the newer G37xS sedan. The sport package (S) on it gives it the G37 MT rims and a bit stiffer ride as well believe. I also did some research and on G35driver.com and th NICO forum and there are some great pricing options to get these $40k cars down to $34-35k.

Unfortunately, after 5 emails to Inifiniti they still won't respond to me about why the AWD version does not have a MT. :iam: Literally, 5 emails over the last several months just dropping them a line on their website asking about it and not a single response. :spin:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Their manual gearbox doesn't accommodate 2 driveshaft outputs with torque split. at least not their current ones.

None of the current ATESSA cars have manual gearboxes anymore, even if the overseas older GT-Rs did. Even the current GT-R uses a 3-output, 1-input, rear-mounted 7-speed dual-clutch automated gearbox, not a 6-speed manual.

They can't just use the Subaru transaxle, either, since the AWD infinitis I believe have separate front differentials up alongside the engine, that are not inside the transmission case, like a front-engined Subaru.

Archived