LegacyGT.com

Which is more fun around town... turbo or N/A? 2005-2009

SilentPwr

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I figured this would turn into a "which is faster" / "which is better for street racing" thread, which isn't what I wanted. Entertaining, though. :) I've just driven some cars that are fairly quick, but at slower speeds they're not as fun. Like I mentioned in the original post, most of my time is spent on winding roads at less than 45 mph. I just wanted to see if the GT had the same/better/worse throttle response as the n/a would. I know some turbo cars have a bit of turbo lag or catapult-style "on-off" power delivery that's not always the best for around town or driving on super-curvy mountain roads at relatively slower speeds. Speed and power isn't always the "be all and end all" answer to driving fun. (I'm sure I'll get called a non-enthusiast for that one!). After all, go carts and Miatas are fun to drive, but they're not always the most powerful.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5i-dangerously-slowi-122738.html?t=122738

Did you not read the ^ thread. Apparently not only are 2.5i seriously NOT enjoyable in the city they are even DANGEROUSLY SLOW.:lol:

^That was based off of the automatic transmission.

Everyone is going to have their own opinion, no doubts there. I'm perfectly fine with my car. I have fun when I go to the city. I understand my car isn't teh rocketship LGT, but I don't loose sleep over it. OP, the only way to see what you enjoy is to drive it yourself. It's been said time and time again.

Guest LGT-NY
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I figured this would turn into a "which is faster" / "which is better for street racing" thread, which isn't what I wanted.

Umm... What are you even talking talk about? Your original question was "Which is more fun?", right? So the OBVIOUS answer is going to be the faster, sportier, more attractive car. So I guess each answer will be subjective based on each person's definition of "fun". ;)

kthx

I figured this would turn into a "which is faster" / "which is better for street racing" thread, which isn't what I wanted.

Which is why you are asking what is MORE FUN.

A small turbo is always, always going to be more fun than the same displacement motor non-turbo around town. Small turbo-no lag and more power.

'nuff said

/thread

Like I mentioned in the original post, most of my time is spent on winding roads at less than 45 mph. I just wanted to see if the GT had the same/better/worse throttle response as the n/a would. I know some turbo cars have a bit of turbo lag or catapult-style "on-off" power delivery that's not always the best for around town or driving on super-curvy mountain roads at relatively slower speeds. Speed and power isn't always the "be all and end all" answer to driving fun. (I'm sure I'll get called a non-enthusiast for that one!).

Hmmmm. I spend the majority of my time driving in similar conditions and....

I personally would of regretted every day if I had bought a 2.5i.

As for your turbo lag question:

I personally would of regretted every day if I had bought a 2.5i.

Seriously. GT has better response, speed, handling, machismo, sex appeal, scent, etc. etc.

Manual over AT for fun. LGT in 2nd gear for under 45 in city much more fun than 2.5i. Of course, the stock 5th gen has almost no turbo lag, spools much sooner, and has more torque and HP so it wins on the fun factor. However, with the turbo underneath and equal lenght headers, it does not have the sound appeal of the previous gen.

the stock 5th gen has almost no turbo lag, spools much sooner, and has more torque and HP so it wins on the fun factor.

Dont make this about 5th g vs 4th because we all know that the 4th gen has zero lag and the 5th g would need 100 more hp to make up for its looks;)

We have two Legacies, I have a Turbo, the Mrs. has a N/A. Both are fun around town. However, if you are keeping the revs low, then either one will do. If you are the kind of guy who pushes your car to the limit, with high revving action, go with the Turbo. It's more thrilling and dramatic, and has more of a sports car feel. The manual transmission on mine makes a HUGE difference in the fun factor than the automatic on hers.

We have two Legacies, I have a Turbo, the Mrs. has a N/A. Both are fun around town. However, if you are keeping the revs low, then either one will do. If you are the kind of guy who pushes your car to the limit, with high revving action, go with the Turbo. It's more thrilling and dramatic, and has more of a sports car feel. The manual transmission on mine makes a HUGE difference in the fun factor than the automatic on hers.

:lol: Someone clearly needs a stage 1 INFAMOUS1 tune because their turbo is still running factory/pussy <cough> I mean, stage zero tune... Turn that frown upside down and get tuned today!

Why are people saying the 2.5i and GT have different suspension? It's the same damn thing, unless you get a Spec.b.

no.

I read somewhere that they *might have been the same from '08 on...but at least the front swaybar is still different, unless they did something funky. The sways are significantly smaller on the 2.5i, and the springs and struts are wimpier as well (not that the stock GT is anything fantastic, mind you).

Of course, you pay for it by getting crappy MPG and burning premium, but as they say, gotta pay to play

Agreed 100% but the thread is "what is more fun around town", not what is more frugal around town. (Admittedly when premium hit $5/gal in Los Angeles frugal was starting to sound somewhat fun)

I agree, I used to have an NA and must say the turbo is where it's at. One thing you neglected to think of in your "Fun Factor" is long term care, I must say it's a bit of a hassle having to plug the hood scoop every time I wash the car, and I really wish I could use Mobil1 oil because it's my favorite, but I think it's worth it when you consider the extra power.

I agree, I used to have an NA and must say the turbo is where it's at. One thing you neglected to think of in your "Fun Factor" is long term care, I must say it's a bit of a hassle having to plug the hood scoop every time I wash the car, and I really wish I could use Mobil1 oil because it's my favorite, but I think it's worth it when you consider the extra power.

^ Good on you for making sure soap doesn't get on the intercooler :eek:

Archived