LegacyGT.com

What to expect

I am tracking my car next Sunday....

2007 Purely Stock LGT 5MT

1/4 mile runs at about 4900 feet in altitude

What kind of times should a rookie driver expect?

I want to run it stock so I can then check it after stage 2 and compare....I plan to be stage 2 before June 1st....

Anyone?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for the advice...I've never done anything like this....I'm excited.

The stutter is still there....gonna try to get it to the dealer to have the TSB done....gonna change the oil....probly do the diffs as well...anything else I should think of? Tire pressure matter?

There are two guys that are very interested in watching and trying to beat me..wonder what my chances are?

One guy is stage 1 (or so he says) I think he has KIA and Borla exhause on his SRT4 Neon....

One guy has a stock Cobalt SS supercharged version...

Both of them FWD and from what I hear at this track they run off to the side of the groove to start so I should be able to stay hooked up whereas they will not.

thoughts?

sub for the answer. I wonder what the times and 60ft on a stock LGT with a rookie driver.

Carguy... I hate to tell you this but a rookie member who shall remain nameless was running 15's at stage 2. Another member ran 14.7 on a slipping clutch at stage 2 (he could not launch).

I would try to focus on keeping those 60ft times under 2 seconds. Hope it helps. Can't wait to see how you did. Have fun!!!

No clue on the Neon SRT4, but a stock Cobalt SS is a rocket. According to Motor Trend a 2009 Cobalt SS has a 1/4 mi of 14.0 @ 102.5 mph. The 2009 WRX they tested it against recorded a 1/4mi of 13.5 sec @ 101.1 mph.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sports/112_0903_sport_compact_car_comparison/cobalt_speed3_wrx_gti_specs.html

The WRX clearly has an advantage on launch, but the Cobalt is definitely gaining on it. Given that the WRX is both more powerful and lighter than the LGT, I suspect you'll be pretty evenly matched.

[edit]

Sorry wrong Cobalt numbers, looks like the super charged version is slower. 14.4s @ 100 mph.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/05q3/chevrolet_cobalt_ss_supercharged-short_take_road_test

That plus AWD for making the launch easier, should give you an advantage.

rabid - the OP said that the cobalt SS with the supercharger version, the one you speak of is the turbo charged version, two VERY different vehicles...

to the OP, you should be able to take the cobalt, while they do have some insane low end, they kind of puff out on the top end, launch correctly and you should get him from the start...as for the srt4, i'm not sure never been in one, seen one run, or talked about them...

- Drop/feather the clutch around 4500rpms. You might want to try 4000rpms your first run.

- Don't worry about taking off exactly at the tree. Your E.T. does not include reaction time so don't botch a launch by taking late or too soon.

- Move your seat 1 position forward than you normally do.

- Fronts 38psi and rears 42psi. You can go a little lower if you get too much wheelspin, but I don't think that will be a problem for stock. Rears usually a little higher than front though.

- The 1-2 shift is extremely important. Don't overdo it and don't rap out first gear. First goes so fast.. I aim to shift out of first at 6300rpms or so but think it ends up being 6500rpms. Nice clean crisp fast shift is what you need. It shouldn't be abusive.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Thank you sir....my buddy is taking his sub 10 second racecar to tune for the season...he doesn't think I can get out of the 15's....I would love to prove him wrong unless it is mechanically impossible.

I aim to shift out of first at 6300rpms or so but think it ends up being 6500rpms. Nice clean crisp fast shift is what you need. It shouldn't be abusive.

^x2 but dont let the RPM drop too much. When you shift into 2nd it should be a solid push more than a jar, bog or lurch.

I'm curious to see your #'s and how you do against those other cars. I'm curious to see how those other cars do as well... I hate Colbalts & Neons!!!! their drivers always seem to be (at least in my area of the country) cocky toothless hicks.

tons of excitement at the dealership....cobalt guy and neon guy are more excited than me....the expert racer with the sub 10 second car did the calculations and thinks I should be able to win if I can hold them off the last few hundred feet due to my launch being better w/ awd....

the two young kids are already talking shi...I'm playing it down since I've never done it...and have no clue....they have no clue either but I'm an old cow and they are young steers....

few more days...oil change and TSB for stutter on Thursday...

Gonna take out your spare and tools? Also might be a good idea to fill up with the highest quality fuel around or otherwise ensure you have a really high grade octane fuel in the tank when you do the run.

Just saying :)

Archived