LegacyGT.com

Help!! Stock VF40 Blown need to figure out what is next...

I want to to a direct bolt-on Turbo I have been looking at fred beans VF46 I like the warranty factor.... I am kinda on a budget though and 1300 for a new turbo is a lot right now...I bought the car yesterday AS-IS (FML) and had a lead Subaru mechanic look at it, he said it was fine but it had had a new turbo put on it, then today all of a sudden the dreaded whine and then no power. The turbo is Blown i know that for sure!This is an '05 Legacy GT Limited. Someone please provide me with some feedback and some options seeing as i really don't have the money and just put out $11,000 on this sexy ass car that now wont run.

yeah but I WANT the gt and the guy is willing to pick up half the tab and let me make payments to pay the balance. The car is paid for though outright. I might do that if i cant find a reasonable turbo solution

Im in ohio and there is no law on used cars only new its bullshit...I have to realize though that i would get rid of the vf40 regardless because of the trouble I've read about it... Side note My family owns Wagner Subaru in Fairborn Ohio, but a brand new turbo is still $$$$$$, but all the mechanical shit will be pro status soooooo.. any other suggestions, also i would like to go new or fresh rebuild on a turbo

It is not the VF40 itself that causes all the issues. Most commonly, the problem is the banjo bolt filter which gets clogged and causes oil starvation. If your LGT has gone through a couple turbos I would assume you have some debris floating around in your oil, the screen is clogged, or someone did not prime the turbo correctly.

VF46 is not an upgrade. It is virtually exactly the same as the VF40. It will not yield any performance increase. It would also require a different restrictor pill.

Stick with a VF40 or you'll be doing more work.

It's not really an upgrade, it's an almost identical turbo. Which is fine.

You are going to want to NOT drive your car effective immediatly. Even just to start it up.

The first step is to remove the turbo and check for damage to the blades. Also, drop the oil pan.If you've got big chunks in there, trouble may be waiting for you.

The "new" turbo didn't go for no reason: it's either oil starved (banjo bolt filter pre-turbo most likely) or there were residual metal chunks that it sucked up from the prior turbo exploding. You need to identify that.

If you have metal chunks that made it into your engine.....well, good luck man. It's a long and twisted road you'll be traveling. Anything from just flushing it with fresh oil and replacing the oil cooler, to a whole new block.....

If you've got a subaru service center willing to do the work, you've made it 90% of the way. Also, there are people who sell used vf40s for ~$400. They are practically the same as the vf46, and you need to get this car running.

Good luck.

Joe

That $1200 is going to disappear quickly once you start digging into the root cause, and possible extra expenses due to a failed turbo. Nevermind all the other things you will "want" to do once the engine is out or at least stripped down... timing belt, water pump, oil pump, oil cooler... How many miles on the car? Clutch might be an issue... etc.

The car was shut off the second the turbo made the noise.... 83K on the car and I have 1200 just to solely fix the turbo, and after that i can start on the rest but this is priority one for me. I understand all the potential problems that can arise but this is all i have and i have to get to work somehow and there's no bus to ride there(yeah i know how to use a bus route LOL).... Does anyone have any other ideas on how to right the current situation? Fred Beans VF40 w/ kit and 12 month warranty

but he doesn't have the time that would take.

By the way, are you sure the turbo was new? AFAIK, the prior seller can't falsely represent recent changes/repairs either.

I don't know if you are fully hearing us though: if you don't go deeper here in your inspections and replacements, you might just slap a $1200 turbo on this engine and then have it fail 3 days later.

I want to to a direct bolt-on Turbo I have been looking at fred beans VF46 I like the warranty factor.... I am kinda on a budget though and 1300 for a new turbo is a lot right now...I bought the car yesterday AS-IS (FML) and had a lead Subaru mechanic look at it, he said it was fine but it had had a new turbo put on it, then today all of a sudden the dreaded whine and then no power. The turbo is Blown i know that for sure!This is an '05 Legacy GT Limited. Someone please provide me with some feedback and some options seeing as i really don't have the money and just put out $11,000 on this sexy ass car that now wont run.

heard of "lemon law"?

F1 im buying a 18G VF-40/TD05H from BNR and he requires the core back.

Joe Thank you for your help and I will heed your warnings, Its going to the shop to get fully inspected.

Boymk Ohio doesn't have a lemon law on used cars as stated farther down in the post please don't trash a thread if you cant even take time to read it.

Side note: Bryan at BNR was VERY helpful and after talking to him a lot of my troubles and worries were put somewhat to rest. I vouch for him to anyone who is wanting parts from him.

Thanks guys for all your input i will have to keep you updated on everything from now on!!!

Boymk Ohio doesn't have a lemon law on used cars as stated farther down in the post please don't trash a thread if you cant even take time to read it.

I did read your first post and that's it. Next time, edit your account and put your damn location on so I know where u came from!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. :(

You will definitely want to find out what cause the failure... oil starvation, up-pipe cat broke apart, etc... Turbo failures can lead to engine failures if not diagnosed and fixed properly.

Is that common? That's what happened to mine which is why I bought yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived