LegacyGT.com

2011 5.0 Mustang GT Dyno Numbers

Information comes from here:

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/03/inside-line-dyno-tests-the-2011-ford-mustang-gt-50.html

Oh boy. Friends, what we have here in the 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 is something that's sure to add a big ol' shovelful of coal under the pressure cooker that is the Camaro/Mustang rivalry.

You see, the Mustang GT's newfangled all-aluminum DOHC 5.0-liter V8...it makes some power. A lot of power, actually.

Ford claims it churns out 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque. While these numbers by themselves don't better those of the Camaro SS, on paper the Mustang's leaner curb weight might be able to put them to better use. Wait a week and we'll tell you all about our driving impressions of the 2011 Mustang.

In the meantime, while other outlets busied themselves doing burnouts, we were putting Ford's claims of power and torque to the test. Yes, for you, the loyal IL reader, we dyno-tested the 2011 Mustang GT.

Hit the jump for the dyno chart, images and more video.

It has 4 dyno videos on the link. It's putting down some really decent numbers. Dont hate on me, but I'm not a huge fan of the mustangs... But they are putting down some serious power for a half decent price point. Convertable version GT is a possibility in my future (not a DD, but a nice day cruiser).

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

That new engine is a nice piece :)

Obviously a Spec B is a lot faster, what can that Mustang do in the snow? etc.

Very true... Blasphemy to think or say otherwise :)

But I am liking the new 5.0, glad they are bringing it back.

Very true... Blasphemy to think or say otherwise :)

But I am liking the new 5.0, glad they are bringing it back.

It is a good engine and makes good power stock. But its still only a 5.0 and once built engine is put up against built engine it still wont create power like the 6.0-8.4 liter engines. And it will still cost 2 or 3 times as much to mod than gm engine. 365whp is a nice number for sure, but the 14 year old ls1 puts down 340-360whp with basic bolt ons.

I'm hoping they make the rumored 6.2 DOHC for the new cobra. Rumor is they are shooting for 500+hp N/A

Is it a real 5.0 or a 4.9 like the last one the lying bastards put out for years. :lol:

It all depends on the badge you have on the car. If you have a 6.6L Duramax Diesel badge, thats the engine you have... If you put a 2.5t, thats what you have... So obviously it HAS to be a 5.0 from the factory ;)

Notice they dyno'd it in 4th gear, which is a 1.32.....J. Kavanaugh defends it in the comments, but my understanding is that you want it as close to 1:1 as possible. Maybe I'm wrong.

They also corrected it by 3%....

Those aren't bad numbers...

From what I managed to find on Wikipedia, the last time a 5.0 motor was mounted in a Mustang it only put out 225 horses. Of course that was a pushrod wedge head engine and this is a DOHC 4V design, but at least it looks like Ford is putting forth some effort this time. I've driven the 5.0 EFI motor in an F150 with a 5 speed stick and it felt about as powerful as my Ford 300 I6 carb'd motor in my F150 with the 4 speed stick, but with less low end grunt. The original 5.0 was a good motor though, stronger than the 4.6 (Which I've seen blow head gaskets right before my eyes). It's always felt a little disappointing though, especially in trucks. I can't speak for the Mustang, because I've never driven a 5.0 in a Mustang. I've driven a 4.6 in a Thunderbird, which has about as much power though, so I can venture a guess as to how the 5.0 would perform in a car as opposed to a truck.

I just hope Ford releases a truck motor based on this platform. 395 horses at 6,600 is OK for a Mustang, but I bet with different cams and some tuning they can get a lot of torque down low and stuff this motor in the F150 with better gas mileage and power than the 3V modular 4.6.

I don't buy their gear explanation one bit. He talks about how a high gear is more dangerous for engine yet it was just noted that 5th gear = 1:1 which is NOT overdrive. If that was the case then why not dyno it in 1st or 2nd gear?

That's 50-70 whp more than the previous Z06. If this is production power numbers it'll be an aftermarket hit, especially since they say the internals are forged already.

I don't buy their gear explanation one bit. He talks about how a high gear is more dangerous for engine yet it was just noted that 5th gear = 1:1 which is NOT overdrive. If that was the case then why not dyno it in 1st or 2nd gear?

That's 50-70 whp more than the previous Z06. If this is production power numbers it'll be an aftermarket hit, especially since they say the internals are forged already.

Is hard to trust dyno numbers as so many things can make them seem inflated. We need to wait a year or two and see what good drivers are running in the 1/4mile cause thats what really matters. c5 z06s usually put 340-360whp down. 395whp is probably an inflated number on a dyno jet. The c5 z06 has run 11.8s and 11.9s at 117-120mph stock, well have to see if the mustang can get close to that.

The new 5.0 engine has forged rods and the pistons will not be forged. The ls3 has simular internals. In the 1980s 5.0s some mustangs had forged pistons and alot of builds only changed the rods and bolts. Most iron cranks can handle 1000hp.

That has always been one good point about Ford engines is that they are tough, and use quite a few forged parts in their rotating assemblies.

I've got a 5.0 in my 1965 stang and love it :D Granted with the damn auto with overdrive and the wonderful 60's technology, my 375 crank hp only feels like 250 wheel hp haha.

Considering that in the 60's HP was rated at the crank without the alternator/power steering/water pump then you would be 100% correct. The standard for determining HP has changed. If you're going by the original HP standard from the 60s them you're way off from the modern standard. If you've had the car dyno'd recently then you're in the clear.

Archived