LegacyGT.com

Mufflers

fishbone

For reasons I won't go into, I had the "opportunity" to drive my basic Stage 2 LGT without the mufflers :lol: My mods are a catless UP, gatted DP with the last cat left in the system, Perrin TMIC, LWCP.

With no mufflers attached (Y-pipe in place) the car spooled quicker and pulled harder. I've been always told, and believed, that the stock exhaust is just fine close up to 300whp so I never even bothered to think about upgrading it. Are there mufflers that are worth the investment to an otherwise stock exhaust? My problem is that it has to be wife approved and she is quite sensitive to growling so they would have to be just about the quietest possible :spin: I kinda like the price of XO2, but I have heard/seen some with fitment issues

With the stock DP, I dont think it will do you any good to upgrade your exhaust. The stock DP is 2.5", so your restriction starts there. Even if you went for the X02, you still have your 2.5" stock DP restriction.

FWIW, I just put on a GMS exhaust (previous was Invidia DP to stock exhaust) and I can feel a "slight" difference in power/spool. It hasnt been tuned for the new exhaust and maybe its all the noise that makes it feel faster, but I do belive its just a hair quicker. Hrmm... Log with airboy dyno sheet tonight to test my theory... :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

First, you are crazy.

I thought so too, but I have a pretty sensitive butt dyno :lol:

executor485: figures. So really the mufflers are way down the road still for me. Most likely I won't touch any of this stuff then, unless I come across a really really good deal. I figured if I'm planning on going Stage 3 it's not going to kill me to start collecting parts :)

I'll just go spend some time now in the exhaust clip thread and make up my mind which I like better (even though I'd much rather hear it in person since the hardware used to record greatly affects results).

I had removed the old gaskets which pretty much fell apart and thought I cleaned the flanges good, but them damn things aren't mating perfectly flush anymore and there's still air escaping. I now have a hogzhaust on the down-low :lol: It rumbles at idle a bit but is almost completely quiet in town and no noise on the highway.

Datalog a few runs as a way to time a 0-60 sprint, or even a full quarter-mile, if you've got the space and the points on your license to spare. :) I'd be willing to bet that there's not much of a difference.

Sound is a big part of driving a performance car - and the faster your car sounds, the faster you feel as if you're going. It's part of why I love aftermarket exhausts: where I live, the streets are heavily patrolled, with low speed limits. The aural self-stimulation :lol: makes me feel like I'm actually driving a real car.

That last cat is a significant restriction - back when MSPRO's car was tuned on the same dyno, by the same tuner, as my car, it was easy to see that in keeping the last cat in-place, it definitely was a considerable restriction.

Will a cat-back free up a bit of power? I definitely do think that it will.

But will it make that much of a difference, in terms of real-world performance, particularly with the factory third cat still in-place? I'm of the opinion that no, it won't.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived