LegacyGT.com

How to make an STS "Shorty Shifter"

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
This is just a thought, but has anyone thought about just cutting a piece out of the middle and just welding it back together? (That way you wouldn't have to rethread it?

i think alot of people have better skills with a hacksaw and a die then they do with a welder...

using a die is SUPER easy... welding is not... and i'd rather have my shifter head stripped then the whole thing snapping in half because i can't weld worth *HIT!

• 3 months later...
thanks for the post. The hardest part for me was finding a re-threading die. After a few of the guys on this thread said they found one at their local hardware store, I though I could do the same. No deal

Here is where I got mine.....

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/12mm-1-25-Carbon-Hex-Die/dp/B0007CNJ0O?tag=dogpile-20]Amazon.com: 12mm x 1.25 Carbon Hex Die: Home Improvement[/ame]

Going to look into this mod in the next week or so....

Hmmm, that is odd...even with cutting fluid, my attempts to add threads were a giant FAIL, as the diameter of the shaft seemed to expand just below the original threading. They seem to be wider than the "teeth" of the threading by nearly a millimeter.

Do you have the correct die? It should be an M12x1.25.

Yes- the threading perfectly matches the stock threading. It just looks like the shaft below the threading is too wide.

I'll snap some pics tonight.

you think they'd have a rethreading die at a place like true value?, or get lucky at the town harware store?
I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

so yea i got lucky with finding the die at my local hardware store and finished the mod, it was absolutley awesome!!

feels amazing too, the shifts feel sooooooo good

thanks for the awesome walk through

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

• 2 months later...
i did this mod yesterday in my 99 legacy gt it had a metal ring type thing to stop the shifter from going down . so i took a dremal with a cut off wheel and cut around the ring but not through the shaft then i took a dy and made new threads all the way down and then figured out where i wanted it and cut it off .i left mine in the car and just covered the stuff around with a towel . came out very nice. i am very happy with it

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived