LegacyGT.com

How to make an STS "Shorty Shifter"

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I cut mine aswell with the STI short shifter from facxtory and i love it its way nicer ....and on CRAZY KENS questions of... What is the maximum length you can cut off before you might have problems/discomfort???

I am sure you will geuss the make of car before i say it but I have a friend who cut his off so you literally have to reach down into the shift boot... yes thats about 4 inches and yes it was a HONDA...

SUBIE ALL THE WAY!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Modifying the lever arm without modifying the shifting mechanism is slightly less than brilliant. There is a reason STSs aren't just chopped stock units.

Well I was planning to do this mod this weekend, now I'm having second thoughts. Is there anyone who's done this who regrets it? Can anyone compare this mod to a real STS in terms of feel?

• 3 weeks later...
What I do is take the shifter out, remove the ball @ the bottom, pull the bushings out, and I take away material, below the flange @ the top, and below the pivot point I add the same amount taken out of the top to the lower portion, or add whatever to the bottom, and take more out of the top if the "customer" wants a lower shift knob height. After that, you need to take the base plate out, and notch it w/ a cut-off wheel. Make the opening so it is an open rectangle, to clear the shift rod, and that would be your custom STS. I make them, so if anyone wants, I have three stock ones standing by.......make an offer

Be careful when extending the threads with the die. The new threads I cut are really crappy looking. I didn't get the new threads down quite as far as I could have cuz the die started to slip on me and I was close to stripping it. I like the feel of the shorter shifter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

just did this, im in my other car right now cause im waiting on brakes for my lgt and ive missplaced my cobb bushings, im eager to see how much better this is over stock, i plan to do the shifter, bushings, and the subaru s gear oil or something similar at the same time.

some will say get a professional sts, but me saving 60-100 on this shifter(stock shifter $25, die $19, and lube $2.00 ,had other tools already), just pad for my brake pads and extra towards my rotors i just ordered. I feel brakes on the lgt is more important because stock sucks.

Archived