LegacyGT.com

How to make an STS "Shorty Shifter"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize this thread is nearly 4 yrs old, but I just have to comment. I have a 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon, with a 4 banger and a manual tranny. Ever since I got the car the stock shifter always seemed too tall. After my fiancee got an Acura TSX 6 spd manual last fall, my Subie transmission seemed even worse (we also have a '03 miata 6spd so the tall 5spd in the Outback really stands out when driving our cars).

Anyhow, I was on the verge of ordering a real short throw shifter, most likely from Cobb, but they never answered an email I sent them to confirm that the Outback XT and mine had the same shifter.

So fast forward to this week and I stumbled upon this thread. About 8 yrs ago (and long overdue at the time), I took a hacksaw to my '95 Nissan 200sx SE-R's shifter & put a Momo shifter knob w/ 3 screws to hold it in place, but since I picked up the Momo STI Subaru shift knob a while ago, I didn't want to give up the threads on the shifter in the Outback and have to buy a new shift knob. And even though I've used tab and die sets before at work and in my garage, it never occurred to me that I could cut in more threads in the stock shifter.

If you're still reading... I can say that this mod took me about 2.25 hrs tonight (including set up / clean up), going really slow (using the carpenters motto of measure twice, cut once). It could have taken about an hour if I was rushing, or even less. Now my shifter feels exactly how I wanted it. Slightly shorter throws and the shifter knob is where it feels natural from an ergnomic perspective. Shifting action might require slightly more effort, but not much, if any. Definitely, definitely worth the $6 + tax the 12mm cutting die cost me from Ace Hardware!

Thanks to the original poster and everyone else for this thread. I appreciate it. Saved me about $125 bucks.

• 1 month later...
I wouldn't recommend it. The metal shavings would fall into the pivot and cause issues. It's really easy to get the shifter arm out.

Use a magnet in a bag to catch the shavings.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Use a magnet in a bag to catch the shavings.

Not a bad idea. for those of you (like me) without many tools, to get the flange off, I used my hacksaw to take off most of it, then filed down the little that was remaining.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I'm gonna give this mod a whirl on my factory-installed STi STS.

It seems the concensus is that although a bit more torque is needed to put the stick into the proper gear due to the shortened lever arm, the shorter arc-length of throw & lower stick position overall is of greater benefit.

Can anyone provide the link to the thread with a photo-essay on how to safely remove the shaft from the console & its linkages? I'd rather not mess that part up trying to perform this mod. Thanks all--I'll try to take photos as I go!

Without busting out MS paint for force balance drawings (I guess you never took a statics class, or even got very far in physics) think of it this way.

Why the hostility? It's responses like yours that will deter people from taking the time to make outstanding posts like this one. Keep it to yourself man. I assure you, nobody cares.

I think I'm gonna give this mod a whirl on my factory-installed STi STS.

It seems the concensus is that although a bit more torque is needed to put the stick into the proper gear due to the shortened lever arm, the shorter arc-length of throw & lower stick position overall is of greater benefit.

Can anyone provide the link to the thread with a photo-essay on how to safely remove the shaft from the console & its linkages? I'd rather not mess that part up trying to perform this mod. Thanks all--I'll try to take photos as I go!

Well--I found it on my own. LOL :lol:

Here's a link from MUD--first part is how to remove the shifter:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16708&highlight=kartboy+sts+install

I'll try this as soon as I can find all appropriate tools. Details/photos to follow. ;)

To those of you who have done this mod--

How did you secure the shaft while you ground down the flange? Did you vice grip over the existing threads? (Seems to me that wouldn't hold very well & you'd have to adjust it several times to turn the shaft in order to grind the backside of the flange....) :confused:

I may be mechanically challenged (I really don't think so), but I could NOT get the tap to thread more than about 1/2 turn past the existig threads, an dI ended up stripping the stock threads.

I ground down the shaft below the factory threads, but even my snap-on threader was unsuccessful.

Are you sure you're using the correct tap? Have you used a tap before? You need tapping fluid and a lot of patience. Also, you should be tapping on a place where there are NO threads previously, i.e. a straight piece of round metal.

It's not a tap. A tap is to cut threads in a hole.

This is a DIE. A die is used to cut threads on a shaft.

Just FYI.

phenryiv1, I ground my shaft diameter down and then used a die to cut the threads. I only needed an 8" crescent wrench to turn the die.

Turn it about 1/4 to 1/2 turn... then go back 1/2 turn. Repeat... each time going a little further down the shaft.

Slow and steady wins the race...

Are you sure you're using the correct tap? Have you used a tap before? You need tapping fluid and a lot of patience. Also, you should be tapping on a place where there are NO threads previously, i.e. a straight piece of round metal.

It was definately the proper die (I always get those names backwards), and obviously I was threading a section of the shaft that was not already threaded, but it butts against the existing threads. I did use cutting fluid, but I still F'ed it up somehow.

Should I not have used the existing threads to give the die something to "push" against when cutting the new threads?

I ground the flange off the shaft with a bench grinder...

I was wondering if Phen got his flange-grind flush with the shaft. If he didn't, that might be the cause of his re-threading troubles.

JMF--I'm not sure. It's a good question. The stealership would probably know (quick phone call). Isn't the WRX STi a 6 MT?

Archived