LegacyGT.com

My car got totalled- What to buy next?

hey since your in Chicago, any chance of you being able to pull some parts out of it?

not sure, I thinnk the ins co takes it on from there. went today to get my personal items... poor thing looks horrible.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
have you ever driven a 05+ boxster s? If not, do so and then let me know if you still feel the same way. If you have, then I guess to each their own. IMO it has one of the best shifing experiences (if not best), best balance, plenty of grunt and speed, pure grin inducing drive anyone can have under 50K (or 30 K for used 06 models). Sure, a GTR could be more fun (haven't driven one, but if I wanted to spend 80K it woudl be on my list), or a 200K F430.... but for ~30K you'd be hardpressed to have more fun in car.

Sorry to here about your car.:icon_cry::icon_frow

On the Boxster note. I put my 07 Pontiac Solstice GXP against the boxster any day;):):cool: They worth a look if you can find one.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Yes, my baby got totalled. Got clipped off t-bone style in the front driver side. This pic is from the passenger side, the other side is half-gone. Weird thing is that airbags did not deploy. Preliminary estimate w/o verifying engine, trans, etc (which surely was messed up) is about 12K. My car had 28,000 miles and was babied...oh, and I paid it off this month. Good news is that everyone was OK and insurance will cover.

Now to the important question...what to get next. Don't like the 2010 Leggy (too big) and the WRX is not refined enough. Then I turn to usual other suspects, A4, BMW 3 series, and....the Porsche Boxster S :wub:. I know, very different cars, but I thihkn that's what I'm leaning towards...

Lucky. Mine got the same treatment...not quite as bad though, also no airbags. Total cost to repair was $14,660....just got it back today. That was an '08 LGT with 46,000. :ggrrrr:

I'll consider the coupe g35... dont' want a big car anymore.

Current G37 Coupe certainly isn't any smaller than your LGT; ridiculously bad packaging in that car, IMHO. I think the previous-gen G35's are a little smaller, but not by much.

My vote: A3 TDI

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

If you can, wait to get one of the new direct-injected boxsters once the prices come down. They finally solved some longstanding engine issues in that one....

Boxster's are shit-tonnes-of-fun. If you don't understand why driving a car with an air intake 1 foot behind your head is fun, go beat your head against a wall. I still have a dream of stripping a boxster down a few hundred pounds (convertible top, conv. motor, spare, ltw battery, etc. etc.). I can't give it up no matter how unrealistic :)

I've seen plenty of 07 legacy's around 20k....my 2008, brand new, was essentially 25k. And these cars depreciate a good bit :)

If it was me and I could do the boxster, I'd probably go older and nuts and get a 2002 Z3 M convertible for the same cash. They have bulletproof trans and engines, very few problems, and are an absolute blast to drive. Never have I driven a car that was easier to go sideways on dry roads in a completely controllable fashion.

Just a thought :)

Joe

u could look for an m3 :]

+1

You can get 02-04 models for so damn cheap these days. The only problem is they are going to be high mileage and well used.

If I had more money to play with, I would have gone with a 05+ M3.

If you live in Chicago you probably face some pretty crazy winters. That would be my first objective in a car.

thanks guys. hmmm...an A3TDI (or GTI TDI, Jetta TDI, etc) would be a great gas sipper. I'm thinking that for now, I'll go with the sports car and in a few years have my girl get a fuel sipping car (TDI, prius, etc) just for plane jane commuting. btw, have folks heard anythign re subaru's version of the toyobaru? all the rumors I've heard are that it will be RWD and no turbo.... that sucks, because if it was awd and turbo, I would be interested, mainly because of the performance and small size.

I'll keep you guys updated. thus far, the boxster s is winning.

Same thing happened to me with my old 2003 Evo 8, but I couldn't afford to buy a new one with my insurance money so I got a legacy. lol

There really isn't much in the car market right now that you can buy for $21-25K that offers AWD and has excellent reliability like the Legacy. The problem is, the new Legacy models are way too big and ugly IMHO. I sat in one at the auto show and felt like I was in a Chevy Impala. Some forum people mentioned the 335i and benz', but those cars are way too expensive and are pricey to maintenance.

Some models I personally liked and I'm a die hard Subaru fan are:

• Mitsubishi has the AWD Lancer Ralliart, its turbocharged and is about $27K.
  • The Subaru WRX models are nice, have a lot of room and are around $26K.

have my girl get a fuel sipping car (TDI, prius, etc) just for plane jane commuting.

You will lose your manhood just for having a prius in your garage...TDI all the way for a fuel saver. Then you won't want to kill yourself if you ever have to drive it.

Go with a used LGT for yourself, you know you will be happy with it.:)

have you ever driven a 05+ boxster s? If not, do so and then let me know if you still feel the same way. If you have, then I guess to each their own. IMO it has one of the best shifing experiences (if not best), best balance, plenty of grunt and speed, pure grin inducing drive anyone can have under 50K (or 30 K for used 06 models). Sure, a GTR could be more fun (haven't driven one, but if I wanted to spend 80K it woudl be on my list), or a 200K F430.... but for ~30K you'd be hardpressed to have more fun in car.

i would agree, boxster is hands down one of the most amazing driving experiences i've ever had. though my personal preference is the cayman just cause i'm not as much of a roadster guy, but same platform essentially. i mean sure it's not the quickest in a straight line, but put it through some twisties and just wow the handling and the sense of connection you have with the car is phenomenal.

i also agree with the comment JoeFromPA, haha it's so wild opening up the throttle and having such visceral auditory stimulation listening to the air rushing into the intake, first few times i thought my head might get sucked in the sound was so intense.

but damn haha going from legacy to boxster is kind of a leap and chicago roads and winter i feel like might not be the best combo for the boxster.

I know I love the feel of the boost kicking in when you hit a certain RPM level. Its going to be hard for me to go back to N/A, regardless of hp, after driving my LGT. So its all up to your butt dyno when you test drive stuff after you get an idea of your price range and performance level.
It's cool; I'm with the band

I know I love the feel of the boost kicking in when you hit a certain RPM level. Its going to be hard for me to go back to N/A, regardless of hp, after driving my LGT. So its all up to your butt dyno when you test drive stuff after you get an idea of your price range and performance level.

I love the turbo hitting at that RPM as well, but I tell you what... I could live with with the motor they put in the CTS-V or ZR1... Sure its boosted, but it doesnt "kick" you at a certain RPM, its over the whole spectrum.

There arent a lot of options, IMO, that have the same performance/price/luxury/reliability of the LGT. Its a unique breed of car :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

i would agree, boxster is hands down one of the most amazing driving experiences i've ever had. though my personal preference is the cayman just cause i'm not as much of a roadster guy, but same platform essentially. i mean sure it's not the quickest in a straight line, but put it through some twisties and just wow the handling and the sense of connection you have with the car is phenomenal.

i also agree with the comment JoeFromPA, haha it's so wild opening up the throttle and having such visceral auditory stimulation listening to the air rushing into the intake, first few times i thought my head might get sucked in the sound was so intense.

but damn haha going from legacy to boxster is kind of a leap and chicago roads and winter i feel like might not be the best combo for the boxster.

dealing with the car in chicago will be one of the challenges. it will also be quite the change. I seriously enjoyed flicking the Leggy all kinds of sideways in the snow. tons of fun. I loved that car, the looks, the size, the ride, the turbo feel...everything except the vague clunky shifter (and that was with an sts). If I could have the leggy but in a smaller package with better shifter, I would (hence why the toyobaru would appeal to me if it was awd). the sti and wrx do not appeal to me because they lack a certain level of refinement that I now look for. call me snotty...or more grown up ;).

I've been lurking in boxter forums and there are lots of folks who drive their boxster yearound...even some crazy ones in canada (see this canadian driver article: http://www.canadiandriver.com/2006/01/23/winter-test-2005-porsche-boxster.htm). they just put in slim winter tires and, reportedly, drives just fine for 98% of the snow we get in chicago. the few days we get 12 inches on the ground, I'll just not take the car out. i'm torn between the cayman and boxster. they are very similar but yet so different. I don't consider my self a convertible kind a guy, but I admit that it was fun.

I'll keep you folks updated... thanks for all the replies.

Pontiac G8 FTW! No AWD or turbo, but it is refined with plenty of aftermarket support available via Australia's Holden. The Porsches are great, but if you thought Subies were expensive to maintain you've got another thing coming.

Archived