LegacyGT.com

Squat and getting rid of it

carguyco

i searched the word squat and read til my eyes bled...no definitive answer for me yet.

07 LGT w/ 37k....I've had it 2 weeks....never noticed this but that is because I was still on my honeymoon ;)

Leaving from a dead stop the front end comes way up when you get on it....also when shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3....mainly anytime you are in dead acceleration....duh right?

Best way to spend my money to get rid of that? new springs/shocks/struts?

I'm a huge newbie when it comes to suspension as I've never kept a car long enough or had a performance at all and didn't give a shit...

Type slowly and use english please....

Feel free to point me to a thread I may have missed as well...thanks in advance and sorry for the stupid questions ;)

OK to prove my incompetence...

Springs/Shocks in back yes? Struts in front....only reason I think I'm right is because of the silly strut bars that seem unnecessary that I see on some cars.

I feel gay when it squats like that...

Konis are inserts in the front, it takes some effort to install them but not something that you couldn't do. Shox.com has a great sale on them to order them online. That is the Konis. For the STi Pinks, I got mine from Rallyspec.com but there are a few places to get them from. If you were in the Northeast, I'd offer to do the install at our shop as we stock the Konis.

-mike

^^ now that's some serious squat! It's funny 'cause in most of my old track pics it looks like my Leggy is using each apex as a toilet:lol: That was w/ COBB springs & stock shocks.

After switching to coilovers most of it was eliminated, plus I raked the rear slightly for added protection.

Or use the wrong oil.

JDM take-offs are also a solution, the route I took. Come up for sale from time-to-time, and you get matched damper with springs designed for OEM-level of reliability, and you can still get them rebuilt here in the US (Bilsteins).

Also couldn't stand the squat while accelerating. Not as bad as the Forester XT I drove back in 2005. With the stock Forester suspension and the crazy-low gearing, it felt like it would ass drag at anything more than half-throttle.

Probably more than you want to spend, but I'm a big proponent now of high quality (not cheap) coilovers. The right ones can produce better feel, handling, adjustibility (dampening, pre-load, camber, ride height), etc, while still maintaining a reasonable comfortable ride.

The best way to avoid squat is to dramatically lower engine output ;)

Correct. Here is sPeEdLiMiT's car last March. He is the King of Squat.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3660/3372954225_d8934c7138_b.jpg

I'm on s-techs and don't have squat, but it sits pretty low.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Archived