LegacyGT.com

Questions Regarding an 08 Special Edition

I am completely new to this forum and everything else however I had a few questions regarding the 08 special edition any help is appreciated

My main concern is regarding the reliability of the car.

If there are any issues that stick out any help would be helpful and welcomed

My second concern is the performance of the car.

I really want my first car to be one that is fun to drive and having never driven this one I am unsure if it is what I am looking for. I want something with decent pick up but also that corners pretty well. Now granted I am used to my brothers 04' Jetta 1.8 turbo putting out 180 horses. I am not an avid car guy... YET. but I was wondering if this sort of pick up would be sufficient to not necessarily go really fast but be able to enjoy the perks of speed if I wanted to.

Other than that if you have any other suggestions for upgrading HP or stereo or rims or anything along those lines it would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch ahead of time!

Get a GT. Turbo = HP

My stage 2 LGT would make your brothers Jetta 1.8T seem like a yugo if you want to compare HP...

Try to come up with the cheese for a turbo. You will be happy you did.

If you can't, you will not be disappointed by a non-turbo but focus on makingit what you want, not getting more power, which is a waste. More power = get a turbo. You can still have plenty of fun with a n/a

Ok now here is the main issue is that the seller is almost 200 miles away. Which presents a problem I mean it is my first car and I am lucky to even consider this but I want something that will be fun and I won't be disappointed that I didnt go for more HP in another car.

I cant come up with "the cheese" haha and I am sure my dad would not want me cruising around at what 240 HP. Im not looking to be a speed demon but making some mazdas look foolish definitely would be a plus. I suppose i shouldnt be worried about it I just want to make sure I wont regret accepting lower horsepower.

are there any local dealers nearby that have some leftover inventory?

it's not going to blow the doors off of anything but i think there is still fun to be had with the vehicle. particularly if you focus on the handling aspects. it's decent for commuting

You can get a used LGT for about the same as a used 2.5i if you want a 4th gen Legacy look at a 05-07 LGT you might be surprised. And you wont embarrass many Mazadas with a 2.5i :lol: If anything youll get smoked in a straight line but in the curves youll handle them.

Ok thanks a bunch I appreciate the comments a ton I have yet to make a move but I know that my dad would not let me in a car with 245 Horses which is why I have been trying to find a happy medium. This seems as if it is a fun car to drive I just have to decide now.

Ya The main problem though is just trying to find something with very low miles. This is fully loaded and somewhat nearby so i mean is it that much of a rip off because if I were to offer I would put forth about 15500 because edmunds value is about 14. And the main thing is the miles really. 27000 miles in 4 hears is truly a car that is driven and treated.

I just picked up a 2008 2.5i SE auto for 14,999999999. It had 18,700 miles. I've been happy so far. While an auto was not my first choice, it was the only prerequisite my wife had. There was a strict budget I had to adhere too so we both got what we wanted. I'm constantly getting compliments and always explaining that a new corolla would have cost more. Yeah, I wish it would accelerate a little faster but in the end, I have a great handling car that allows me to merge into freeway traffic at 75 mph. You can accidentally cruise at 85 mph all day long. The local independent subie mechanic tells me to keep up with the fluids and the motor will last forever. Just don't drive it like a donkey!:p

just buy a 2.5i youre 16 it will still shit on all the civics and cavaliers your other highschool buddies will have. You can get a used 2.5i for under $10K if you search around. I love my 2.5i I wish i had got a LGT to start but it is nice to learn the car in this trim.

Ok now my only question still remains to be is there much upward mobility with regards to HP if I were to get an SE. Because I want to be able to upgrade it for as little as possible if I find that it does not have enough get up. But ya i suppose I do not need the GT and it will in the end hurt me however responsible I may be haha.

Thanks a ton to everyone I appreciate it a ton.

Are you planning on getting manual or automatic?

If you buy an automatic, you'll have a very slow car. No way around it.

A manual 2.5i has "good" pickup. Definitely not bad for a first car, definitely not "slow," but definitely not something your dad would consider "fast."

Are you planning on getting manual or automatic?

If you buy an automatic, you'll have a very slow car. No way around it.

A manual 2.5i has "good" pickup. Definitely not bad for a first car, definitely not "slow," but definitely not something your dad would consider "fast."

I was about to say the same thing.

Don't fool yourself into getting an automatic thinking it will be the same. That was my mistake, the dealership sold out of all the manuals so I settled with the auto.

On the upside, you do get a slight bit better gas mileage with the auto, because of the active AWD system.

the automatic is decent for commuting and the AWD system is surprisingly very good still. pros are the mpg, and not having to row the shifter and work the clutch in heavy city traffic.

following this post, there will probably be several posts that will deride the 4EAT with canine references, among others

+1 about it not being fast but the car does have alot of top end (i think) i noticed i can keep up with most cars on the highway if im above 3500 (gave a 3 series bimer a run for its money, unlesss he was letting me pull the train.. lol), but if you need to slow down and get back up to speed, pull to the right, unless you want to downshift 2 gears and beat the piss out of the car...

the great thing about the car is that you can carry your speed through the turns so merging is not an issue if no one is in front of you, but if you have some one with a v6 or v8 infront of you and they creep on the on ramp and goose it your gona be left in the right lane untill you catch up to speed. its not a huge issue defently somthing you get used to but it all depnds on how you drive the car..

This car is all about mid and top end b/c you have keep that H4 wound high to make power but for a starter car WOW is all you need to be thinking. And 2.5i SE has moonroof, great sound, nice interior, alloys, power everything IF you can swing it get the SAT radio option. For a first car you will be the envy of most of your highschoolers eyes. Not to mention the car is sex and its a Subaru!

Option I would get on a SE ( and have alreadygotten) Chrome rocker trim, Sirius Radio, Fogs, SPT STS, Cargo net, iPod Dock, and Stock LGT shift knob (very classy touch over the plain black knob)

Archived