LegacyGT.com

Grimmspeed BCS

Razor

I read that thread, the one where you and littlebluegt are having a pissing match :) .

Also, I wont say who im going through but he is a great tuner, and I didn't go in asking to 'fix' boost creep issues, i discovered them after adding new parts .

About that other thread, I have a few questions that weren't really answered...

1. What exactly does porting the turbo compressor do ?

2. By doing the test of directly connecting the wastegate actuator nipple to the turbo compressor, what are you actually doing ? and do you just leave that port of the BCS un-connected?

3. If i'm creeping too much and leaning myself out, wont getting bigger injectors / fuel pump solve that problem since you won't be trying to cut down to boost in the upper rpm band?

4. Any way an external wastegate actuator will solve these issues?

LittleBlueGT seemed to have success with porting his vf52, that doesn't seem like a good idea to me ... and you seemed to think it was mechanical ... any idea's ?

thanks for the help

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. allows turbo to flow more air. porting of the wastegate allows more flow as well. more flow through wastegate = better control of boost at high flow rates. If too much material is removed, cracking is likely

2. limits the turbo to the least amount of boost it is capable of making

3. yes

4. possibly and probably, but fairly pricey for a smaller turbo

I just find it very hard to believe that an OEM sized turbo is unable to control boost properly.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

2. By doing the test of directly connecting the wastegate actuator nipple to the turbo compressor, what are you actually doing ? and do you just leave that port of the BCS un-connected?

As he said, this configuration will get you the minimum boost.

It removes a bunch of variables from the equation. If you still have boost creep (unlikely) then you probably have a mechanical problem with the actuator or the wastegate flapper. If you no longer have boost creep (which I think is likely) then you know that the problem is in the EBCS, the hoses that connect it up, or the tune.

It's easy to rule out problems with the hoses just by swapping new ones in.

If you suspect the EBCS, then you can hook it back up and run a tune that has the maximum wastegate duty cycle set to 0%. If you get no creep that way, then you know that the problem is the tune.

EDIT: I saw where you tried the 0% WGDC thing. If you haven't tried running a hose from the compessor nipple to the actuator, you really should.

Hey guys!

okay so I tried connecting to compressor housing to the actuator and BLAMO!

still creep ...

here are the results.

Now my next questions ...

1. I'm taking it to the dealer to 'take a look at' my turbo system, so what should I ask them to look at?

a) Make sure the wastegate actuator is travelling correctly?

b) nothing is in the way of the 'flapper'? (Does this mean the actual wastegate ?)

I guess I only had one question ...

thanks!

razor vf52 0wgdc stock bcs no pill compressor to actuator datalog.csv

we did the exact same positioning on my car.

should i be concerned that there are only like a couple of milimiters of clearance on the top (if that much), when the hood is closed?

I was a little confused on how to actually mount it at first, so here you go.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/websize/IMG_8302.JPG

we did the exact same positioning on my car.

should i be concerned that there are only like a couple of milimiters of clearance on the top (if that much), when the hood is closed?

I'd be worried about a bump forming in the hood right over that spot if it gets slammed too hard.

If you flip the solenoid around so that middle fitting is closer to the manifold does that buy you any additional clearance?

The sound barrier stuf will deform and wear away long before the hood bends

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I'd be worried about a bump forming in the hood right over that spot if it gets slammed too hard.

I'd be concerned too. I replaced the air filter on my Wrangler a few months ago.. it was just very slightly larger than the previous filter and I didn't even realize it touched the hood. It might only touch on bumps.. not sure... but the hood has developed a little outward dent. I looked under the hood and sure enough the filter has rubbed paint off the underside of the hood in a small spot. But there is no insulation, etc. under the Jeep hood...

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

OK, my turn to ask a quick noob question. I am installing my grimmspeed BCS and I wanted to make sure that I fave it correct. I will be removing the T junction that is currently attached to the turbo/wastegate/bcs and use the Grimmspeed to connect direct. Do I have it right? Sorry in advance for the minor threadjack.

There should be about 1/2"-1" of room above the solenoid when the hood is closed so it should be a problem. However, we have about 10 prototypes of our new bracket done for you guys so you will be able to retain your plastic engine cover. We will be able to swap out the old bracket for the new bracket for no charge.

OK, my turn to ask a quick noob question. I am installing my grimmspeed BCS and I wanted to make sure that I fave it correct. I will be removing the T junction that is currently attached to the turbo/wastegate/bcs and use the Grimmspeed to connect direct. Do I have it right? Sorry in advance for the minor threadjack.

Yep, you will remove the T. You will run 2 new lines from the BCS to the wastegate and turbo.

Justin

However, we have about 10 prototypes of our new bracket done for you guys so you will be able to retain your plastic engine cover. We will be able to swap out the old bracket for the new bracket for no charge.

Justin

Awesome. I just got mine in the mail last week. Please let us know when we cans swap them out.

Awesome. I just got mine in the mail last week. Please let us know when we cans swap them out.

I got mine in the mail yesterday. Would love to get the new bracket since another project of mine is to trim the engine cover for my TMIC.

• 2 weeks later...
will post pic when i get home. of my GMEBCS i can keep the cover on i haev the old bracket.

at 2800rpms 19.13lbs boost.

at 6500rpms 17.98lbs boost.

i have no noticable boost creep.

I have tuned numerous GS EBCS setups his creep is do do the WG on his vf52.

will post pic when i get home. of my GMEBCS i can keep the cover on i haev the old bracket.

at 2800rpms 19.13lbs boost.

at 6500rpms 17.98lbs boost.

i have no noticable boost creep.

That's nice. Can't wait to put on my ECBS. Hopefully they will also have out their new bracket before then too!

Archived