LegacyGT.com

Subi Micro-bus to replace Tribaka

bochinam

GT version available with desiel twin turbo H6 mated to the 6MT. NOT

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7388/t62sz.jpg

SOA should pick up what VW stupidly discarded (they went with the toe-rag) give it the Fuji Heavy AWD treatment, turbo and a real transmission option for people who know how to drive. Marketing can call it a "bus" since van has been stigmatized. Syncro name is available too.

X2

oh and btw, VW sells the Routan (caravan based minivan) the Toureg is a SUV

That's the problem. Could be as well be hearse based, would be just as exciting.

That said if there was a decently powerful and decently handling AWD minivan w/manual transmission - I'd be placing order today.

My gawd, I've offended. Don't taze me bro. Honestly, I didn't realize this section was for certified rumors only. I apologize.

X2

oh and btw, VW sells the Routan (caravan based minivan) the Toureg is a SUV

Yes, this is exactly my point. Both are failures. You can't take the Crysler out of Routan, and the Toerag is just another automatic, fake third row, off-road veneered, sport futility vehicle, brought to you by the same marketing degrees that assumed the Tribaka (and I mean: honto ni BAKA) would be a segment blast’n blockbuster. Dust in the wind.

It must be an Oregon thing, perhaps it’s all the hippie leftovers or the Columbia gorge crowd, but there are a ton of VM buses from the old Micros to the last of the 80’s Syncros driving around PDX well beyond their expiration dates. Fact, the micro bus is a popular “mini-van” if you dare to call one that. The rumor (yes, this is a certified rumor Mr B4) is that VW might may dust off the “New Micro Bus” concept that debuted in 2001, and was regrettably killed in 2005. So what the hell does this have to do with Subaru?

Well, as I said above, these VWs are as popular as ever (Syncro de Mayo) but old and their original sub 100hp air cooled power plants are a fire hazard. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that Subaru boxer transplants [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCO4I4Am8x4&feature=related]Subaru boxer transplants[/ame] are popular. Since Subaru powered buses and Syncros already have a following…and with the Tribaka headed the way of the Baja…Subaru should just step up, preempt VW and build a micro bus of their own. All they really need to do is re-body their mistake and then make it more useful by giving us a stick.

That's the problem. Could be as well be hearse based, would be just as exciting.

That said if there was a decently powerful and decently handling AWD minivan w/manual transmission - I'd be placing order today.

Touché

See, Boston gets it too.

I am not saying that I want this exact vehicle... but something like it could be very good.

2005 Citroen C-Sportlounge concept.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2005/2005-Citroen-C-SportLounge-RA-1280x960.jpg

Or this year's Honda SkyDeck concept.

http://www.widenhuge.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/honda-skydeck-concept_49wkb_5965.jpg

Lets be honest. Tribeca is not an off-roader. It is a hard-road, and maybe occaisional soft-road vehicle, that is mostly supposed to be a people/luggage/small cargo hauler at highway speeds.

Why does it need to be a "Utility Vehicle", crossover or otherwise, to do that? Why does it need to have dowdy minivan looks to have good minivan ergonomics and layout?

AWD is a benefit, especially in a year where ALL of the lower 48 states have snow on the ground somewhere, for pretty much the first time ever. It also helps in the rain... we are subaru fans, we understand the benefits of all wheels driving.

Flat engine and low-height drivetrain. Inherent packaging benefits in the vertical dimension, and in keeping an aerodynamic frontal area, and low over-all Cg, and good weight distribution.

Why can't Subaru turn the market on it's ear with a sleek personal shuttle?

They marketed the Outback as more than a wagon, but different than an SUV... they have a history of breaking molds and precedents. They have good market image right now, and are selling while others collapse, and likely will continue to as Toyota stumbles, and Honda continues to offer bland vehicles.

They could offer a vehicle with three rows of seats. Maybe offer them more like coupe seats, instead of upright chairs.

They could offer a vehicle with a somewhat low roof, sleek style, but still sliding side doors, cut all the way to the roof, the way SVX's doors blended glass right to the roof.

They could offer a higher power EZ H6, and if they wanted to, they could offer it with a dual-clutch robotized gearbox... with the directness and precision of a manual, and the ease of use of a computer program, for automatic mode, when desired.

With some real ingenuity, they could be innovators, rather than back-sliding as imitators.

Well, as I said above, these VWs are as popular as ever, but old and their original sub 100hp air cooled power plants are a fire hazard. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that Subaru boxer transplants are popular.

Yeah. I know.

A clean, whole, rust-free, pearl white SVX almost got torn to pieces by a likely well-intentioned person pulling the engine, cooling system, and wiring harness out of it, for a Vanagon/Transporter conversion.

I have no problem whatsoever with that kind of conversion, it sounds very cool. Unless it takes a rare Subaru off the road that otherwise would still be a good driver, with merely a front differential repair being all it needed before-hand.

Luckily, I believe the pearlie SVX mentioned was saved from being further disassembled, and hopefully will get an alternate heart transplant out of a damaged SVX, where the conversion should have come from in the first place, and could have left a rare good-condition car intact.

But I agree with the sentiment that Subaru should be filling market segments that others continue to ignore.

have to say I've been lusting after a VW Eurovan lately. perfect for my overnight MTB races.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've always wanted a 4WD Mitsubishi Delica turbodiesel. :wub:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/L300_Nearside.jpg

I saw one those at pacific city in oregon on the beach while surfing last summer (you can drive on the sand). The the guy was from BC and it was a super cool rig which got great diesel milege !

I've always wanted a 4WD Mitsubishi Delica turbodiesel. :wub:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/L300_Nearside.jpg

My ski coach in Japan had one of those! It had all the necessary parts, turbo, stick shift, room for 7 + skis. Rally up to the slopes.

Archived