LegacyGT.com

just picked up an 08 2.5i, want to trade already

my wife has a 06 2.5i and loves her car although on occasion she drives my 05 gt and i notice she has a tendency to speed more (or by alot lol)

however she has already said she doesn't want my car, she hates putting 93 oct in it.... she use to have a saab 9.5se (turbo) and she loved that car up to gas station and taking that premium hit lol

now if you wanna talk about a car with no power come drive my 97 legacy outback.... I have to tell myself all the time you can't speed away like your car dumb#$%.

now if you wanna talk about a car with no power come drive my 97 legacy outback.... I have to tell myself all the time you can't speed away like your car dumb#$%.

Try the 1.6L camry I used to drive (I think maybe 115 crank hp). Stomping the gas in that car makes you look like a jack@$$. I used to think I was cool when I was younger to speed off like a bat out of hell in that car. Then I pulled up next to an stage 2+ STi and saw what it was really like for a car to get off the line and fly.

It's cool; I'm with the band

I think someone needs to look over their econ 101 notes again. If they're in high demand the dealer can charge a more premium price. Dealerships aren't interested in giving you the car for any cheaper than they have to.

I never really pursued much econ after ECO120, but I do know what my Infiniti dealer told me. The G37 is a dime a dozen by me, everyone has one. When we went in to look at ours our dealer said, "because we are the largest volume Infiniti dealer in the country, we have some wiggle room to work on prices." He wasn't kidding. We practically stole that G37 from them.

ok, so after all that shit talk yesterday, im falling for this car... its just... so balanced. i dont know how else to describe it. i know i got a good deal considering new england prices, and itll last me a long time. so now, i have to decide if im cool with the auto tranny. i think any dealer would just about outright trade a comparable manual for a black on black auto. itd prob sell much faster than the manual. what do u guys think?

i used to live in boston with my car so the auto trans was ok for me cause it saved me from a lot of clutch pumping in city traffic. now that i've moved to a more rural area the car would definitely be more lively with a manual transmission.

but that might be a more feasible trade, could talk to a few dealers, they might be willing to do it if you take a hit on mileage on one of their used vehicles.

ok, so after all that shit talk yesterday, im falling for this car... its just... so balanced. i dont know how else to describe it. i know i got a good deal considering new england prices, and itll last me a long time. so now, i have to decide if im cool with the auto tranny. i think any dealer would just about outright trade a comparable manual for a black on black auto. itd prob sell much faster than the manual. what do u guys think?

Live with the car for a few months. I bought my '08 NA Limited for combination of AWD, economy and amenities. I had driven one (plus, we had bought an '08 Outback for my wife a few months earlier) and knew the shortcomings. However, after a few weeks, I was surprised at how I had adjusted to the engine and transmission (or the transmission had adjusted to me) and now those shortcomings are essentially gone for me. For the price, you can't beat the combination of AWD, economy and handling. As for acceleration, well, I can't go very fast on most of Long Island without being ticketed, but the Legacy is just fine, even for expressway driving. Plus, I rarely use the sport mode. I drive a Porsche Boxster on (warm) weekends, so I normally appreciate speed and good handling. The Legacy is no Porsche, but it is a great car for the bucks.

Glad you like the car.

You got stiffed on the "auction" price unless it included some taxes. Trade-in is around $12-13k for this car, whole/auction should be less. I think that friend did not help you out so much.

Looking at my Manheim vehicle reports, it looks like you're slightly above average for that one, that is if the vehicle sold for $14k and are you are including the auction fees with the sale price. National average for a 2008 2.5i with 25,068 miles is about $13k. A recent 08 2.5i sold for just under $12.5k with less than 20k miles. If you do a private party sale, you may be able to break even or make out with a few bucks.

08 GTs are averaging about $18.5 in the auctions and I'm not seeing many going through auction.

Also, you do know Manheim auction arenas have a "test" lane to test the car's accelleration and braking, right?

Which Manheim location did you go to? I can get you a list for the next upcoming auction.

This thread amuses me a little, as I have an 06 GT and an 08 2.5i (automatic).

I really like both of the cars. Personally, I think the 08 is a better car in poor weather and on long trips. Its also very stylish (it looks almost like the 06, sans the hood scoop). I am in Denver, so the high altitude really takes some uumph out of the 2.5i, but it still has good power and is sufficient for normal driving needs. At lower altitudes the car is actually a lot of fun.

The GT is a heck of a lot of fun, but with the fun come a lot more worries. Spend some time in the turbo power train forum, and you will understand what I am talking about. Like everyone else mentioned, you will probably lose money if you try to trade it in now. Best of luck though, wait for some bad weather then go drive your car around, I bet it will change your mind a bit :)

Yes, Im glad to hear you are giving your new car a shot.

My brother went from a Sti stage 2+ to a 1982 Volkswagen Pickup diesel. I think the lil pickup has 82 hp? (that was before the turbo diesels).

Hell of a down grade but he had to pay for college somehow.

I am in Denver, so the high altitude really takes some uumph out of the 2.5i, but it still has good power and is sufficient for normal driving needs. At lower altitudes the car is actually a lot of fun.

I often consider this also. If I lived in a mountainous area, the 2.5i would not suit my needs. Shoot, when I go up to Wash. DC and encounter those long sloping hills, I am annoyed by the insufficient power.

On a side note, I really enjoy my 5MT in any urban setting. Having a manual transmish really brings out the sporty characterstics of the 2.5i.

Whenever you go from a turbo car to any N/A 4 banger you are going to feel a little let down. You really need a few months to get over that turbo rush. Its like crack, eventually the shakes will subside and you'll be happy again lol :D

you did the exact opposite thing I did...

I test drove an auto 2.5i... hated it, knew a 5spd GT would do what I wanted so I had one shipped to me and traded up from my 2.5RS.... never looked back :D

I did this 5 years ago too. Extensively researched and drove several 2.5i wagions and Outbacks, but convinced myself the extra 150.00 per month for the GT was worth it.

Special ordered in the GT without test driving it, knowing that the 2.5i was going to be my initial purchase.

But to buy the 2.5i without test driving one.... wow.:rolleyes:

I drive my moms 06 2.5i. She's a manual too and it's a fun car to drive. Not the slowest or fastest but i like it alot. I also work for Subaru though so i've driven all types and the gt has more get up and go. If you want a sportier drive you should trade for a gt. Make sure you buy what you really want to drive. You're putting money into this so you want to actually like it ya know?

ok, so regarding the price... i paid 15500, plus sales tax. the 15500 included all auction fees and for the guy to pick it up from pa and bring it back to mass. im guessing he made about a 1k profit. even with that, i saved at least 1-2k from buying at a dealer. this is no loan mind you, straight up cash, as i hate having any sort of payments. he said auction fess were 400. can anyone comment on that? and is the gt really going for 18.5k at the auctions!? there was an 06 with 40k, and he said it went for 16.5k. i didnt want an 05 or 06, and the mileage was higher than i wanted so i passed. that 06 wouldve cost me around 17.5 after his cut... but it was black on black leather, and manual.

^^^^ do you really want to know? Of course there are going to be a few people that insist they could have gotten you a much better deal. But then you don't know them and they weren't there then. As long as you know you saved some money, and are happy with the price you got, let it be, enjoy the car. Get used to the 2.5i and save up for the LGT next time around :)

just my $.02

ok, so regarding the price... i paid 15500, plus sales tax. the 15500 included all auction fees and for the guy to pick it up from pa and bring it back to mass. im guessing he made about a 1k profit. even with that, i saved at least 1-2k from buying at a dealer. this is no loan mind you, straight up cash, as i hate having any sort of payments. he said auction fess were 400. can anyone comment on that? and is the gt really going for 18.5k at the auctions!? there was an 06 with 40k, and he said it went for 16.5k. i didnt want an 05 or 06, and the mileage was higher than i wanted so i passed. that 06 wouldve cost me around 17.5 after his cut... but it was black on black leather, and manual.

Sounds about right with the auction fees. Transport fees can be a killer. The 08 GTs I'm seeing that sold this year are ranging in price from $18k to just under $21k. Majority are in the 18-19k range though. I'm not sure if they are auto or manual though.

I am happy with my 2.5i, but I also figured that if I'm going to spend the extra 7 grand on a slightly faster car I could use that money to get a much faster bike. I wouldn't hurt to see what kind of deal he could give you. LGT is much quicker than an N/A car.

I am happy with my 2.5i, but I also figured that if I'm going to spend the extra 7 grand on a slightly faster car I could use that money to get a much faster bike. I wouldn't hurt to see what kind of deal he could give you. LGT is much quicker than an N/A car.

yea, i already have a bike... i got an 06 triumph thruxton last year. it was between a bike or an old jeep wrangler, and the bike took up less space in the garage and was less of a hassle. so, the fun lil toy won out.

Hey, I've got an 06 Legacy2.5i and the things a beast. Ok, so it's not a GT/Spec B with a turbo, but it's quick enough to get me out of trouble. It's a no contest in the snow up here in (Ottawa) Canada.;) It handles well and my wife loves it too. It's been a good performer with no major issues except for a CAT problem that Subaru covered. Sure I'd like a GT or Spec B, but I can wait for that. Drive the 2.5i for a while it may or may not grow on you. Mine did......

Archived