LegacyGT.com

JDM Kakimoto Racing Air Collection Chamber for N/A engine

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is is attached?

Blue Silicon Tube and two clamps.

There is a bracket below meant to be fastened to a transmission bolt directly below the box, but since I had to raise the whole box 1 inch upward, now they don't line up at all so its left there unbolted.

I see. Just supported by the silicon hoses. So the hoses are stiff enough to prevent it from sagging?

Have you sorted out the resonance probelen yet?

How about wrapping it with some exhaust insulation wrap?

Yeah, the whole canister thing weights like ~ 5-6 lbs, and comes with sturdy SAMCO hoses so its not going anywhere.

I wrapped it with 2 layers of DIY heat insolating blankets and now its much quieter, with just a hint of V8-like resonance at full-throttle and at start up and less heat soak.

I might remove 1 layer to hear more of the rumble just for fun.

PS: you are from Australia? You should have RHD vehicle then there is no problem with fitment, it will fit perfectly like it supposed to on JDM version.

^ not sure if "bad things" will happen, but it will be i think a noticeable difference, weather positive or negative is the question, but i cant see this thing harming your motor, unless of course it some how clogs your intake, but even then it will just stall out lol...

i say some one start welding up some folgers cans and see what they come up with, we have a good template here now lets make it!

Edit: the folgers can remark was a joke, i hope no one took that literally..

Edit: the folgers can remark was a joke, i hope no one took that literally..

Great, I was 3/4s done with my can and I'm all wired up for nothing :spin:

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

the folgers can remark was a joke, i hope no one took that literally..

I think a propane bottle probably works better.....

http://www.outdoorstirfry.com/images/Products/PropaneBottle1.jpg

Just make sure its TOTALLY EMPTY before you light up that torch :lol:

Or...............

http://neil.maloney.net/2009/kaboom.gif

anyone really think this is even worth recreating?

I would say if anyone is a fabricator who has access to a machine shop, might be possible to replicate properly for much less than the $400-$500 price tag. I couldn't think of any way to replicate this item with a basic tool kit. I think I would notice a much greater gain in driving pleasure by spending that kind of money on suspension or brake upgrades. I will say though if it fixes the lagging throttle completely, I'd drop the money on it.

well laggy throttle can be fixed with a $150 throttle controller, which might be worth getting (not sure if i like the idea though) but, a nice bump in torque would be a nicer feel coming from something like this than a program making your throttle motor more sensitive.

can anyone make this or know what needs to be done to make it? is there just a half pipe with holes in it inside of a tank, is that all it is? with a price tag like that im thinking there was a lot of testing put into this piece..

• 3 months later...
That bottle doesn't do anything; it does not "accumulate" any air at or above sea level pressure... The bottle is still under vacuum because it is consistently bleeding into the engine. A glorified buffer space, still under vacuum, with a role of dampening intake noises; resonance and vibrations. The only added benefit is having a smoother (laminar) air flow thru the airbox.

well laggy throttle can be fixed with a $150 throttle controller

The point here though, is that if the throttle response can be improved with a PHYSICAL change on the engine, that is a better and more REAL improvement than an artificial throttle controller.

Both combined though, could be sublime :wub:

Generally speaking there isn't any vacuum in the air box, the vacuum is in the intake behind the throttle plates, the airbox and related tubing is at atmospheric pressure unless you are at wot with a restrictive air filter. And also as jar as I know the throttle lag you guys are talking about is not a mechanical flaw but an electrical one in the throttle sensor to ecm connection adding an intake or torque box or whatever that thing is supposed to be won't change it. It is an electrical lag not an airflow lag.

If you really wanted to put that to the vacuum in the airbox to the test get a cheap vacuum gauge and hook it up and see what you find my money is on a dead unmoving needle under most driving conditions.

And you know this because you are a fluid dynamics expert?

I like to think of myself more as a connoisseur than as an expert; but I do have a gold-colored sheet of paper with red borders and 5 different signatures on it to prove it.

The pressure in the box is not constant. But it will be vacuum nevertheless.

Archived