LegacyGT.com

Conversion 5x100 to 5x114.3 on 05 LGT

lfrisé

• 1 month later...

Has anything come about? I want to go 5x114.3 ... only because I want my favorite set of wheels :lol:

What are the bearings here? Fronts? or one front, one rear?

Could you measure the inside diameter and picture the outside also? Here are the bearing housing from the 2008STI:

• 2 weeks later...

Just for you L'Frisé!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs286.snc4/40627_418949881754_714336754_5388596_7516545_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs295.snc4/41067_418949686754_714336754_5388594_3062166_n.jpg

This is the offset difference between the two hubs.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs397.snc4/46027_419929556754_714336754_5406330_8107697_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs435.snc4/47866_419929606754_714336754_5406331_8308045_n.jpg

I will post the front mod soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on this? Can you use a legacy backing plate with the sti rear wheel bearing? I ask this because I want to run spec c ra rear rotors which allow for legacy rear e-brake, 5x114 with usdm subaru red 2 pots.

Curious to see outcome!

-Roman

• 2 months later...
I'll step up to the plate and try to get definitive answers for those looking to do the swap. I should have an STI trailing arm and STI wheel bearing along with LGT trailing arm and LGT wheel bearing early next week so I'll be able to take some measurements and figure out the best way to get this conversion done. Stay tuned for updates.

• 4 months later...

I'm gonna bump this back up because I want to figure out if this is possible.

Did anyone ever measure the OD of the STi hub and the ID of the legacy GT rear bearing?

I am actually looking to do this on my BE which may be more complicated due to ABS tone rings. :(

Does anyone know how the tone rings are for the rear BE/BH axles? Are the teeth built into the axle stub?

I am fairly certain the rear spline count is different, the rear has a 25 count for the R160 vs a 27 count for the R180 according to this post:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/t99763-axle-spline-count-r160-r180.html

It still may be possible that the diameters are the same and the 5x114 hub will push into the legacy rear bearing. This raises the question for me at least of what axle to use because my rear axles have the ABS ring built in and the STi's have the ring that bolts to the hub flange itself.

I am curious about the tribeca since it has the 5x114 hub but a R160(supposedly, I've never confirmed). So either they are using a different hub with the lower spline count, which may then be usable for the GT guys if it will push in.

It looks identical to the 08 rears and since it is VDC I think it just uses the new ABS type sensors that are magnetic rings and not physical tooth rings. This could be promising for you BL/BP owners. My guess though is that the Tribeca rear axle could be some one off hybrid but maybe not.

This will likely be more headache than it is worth but I am curious to get an absolute answer. If Fred Beans could take any measurements they have available to them that would be ideal or even just measure spline counts to confirm.

I could always model some new 5x114 hubs with the 25 spline count in solidworks and have it made but that seems like a lot of work and probably expensive to machine. :)

Ben

If fred beans parts reads this, if you have access to a tribeca rear bearing assembly can you count the spline count and also check the diameter of the hub itself and then the actual OD of the wheel bearing to see if it may be an actual bolt in to the rear spindle.

the bolt pattern looks the same if this is truly the part:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NATIONAL-512328-Rear-Wheel-Hub-Bearing-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aTribecaQQhashZitem4157086c9cQQitemZ280633044124QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Ben

EDIT: this is showing "trapezoidal" type flange for the tribeca instead of "rectangular" flange for the 05+ legacy. But the 08+ shows rectangular, so who knows. This still leaves the possibility that the hub itself can be pressed into the legacy bearings but we need measurements. It's possible that the tribeca basically uses the reverse of a spec B axle or what is now the 08+ impreza and 2010+ legacy GT but for this to be true that would mean that the hubs would have to be interchangeable I would think.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/wheel_hub_assembly/subaru.html

Edited by sixspeedlegacy
added more info

Apparently no one cares about this anymore?

I found this, the confusing thing is if you look at the measurements, they list inches and millimeters, if you go off the inches, some dimensions are extremely close to the same but I am not sure what each dimension is or if its even what we want. The millimeters they list after the inches does not always match. Maybe I'll contact them and ask about that.

The bad thing is that this is claiming the tribeca rear is 27 spline so would need to find out if a STi axle will work.

Ben

157162454_(KGrHqZ!i4E2KR-oHwTBNjRlVWQlg0_12.JPG.e386e25d5105f96e3bb03b84a63f92bd.JPG

1311872684_(KGrHqR!i4E2Kv(tEDBNjRlJwfBw0_12.JPG.87b4575d37754edd62568cdb6d91049d.JPG

I care about it.

I want to see the hub disassembled before I jump to any conclusions.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

i also care. to me, if you can get a hub to mount to our trailing arm and work with the brake system(parking and regular, obviously with a new rotor) then you have a solution. getting a axle to work is easy, even if you have to have the stubs switched. 2010+ should be a piece of cake as the whole setup from the sti can be installed. Edited by whitetiger

I don't know how cut and dry it will be. Especially swapping stubs on the axles.

There are three approaches I'm thinking about.

1) SpecB axles make running an R180 in our cars very easy. The axles aren't cheap, but they are a bolt-in solution. No hub changes necessary, unless we want to run less expensive wheels (5x114 is easy to find).

For this scenario, I'm half contemplating designing an OE-splined hub that fits the Legacy bearings, and has a 5x114 bolt pattern. For this, you would press your hub out, and press the new one in. This would work with the OE axles, as well as Spec-B axles. Easy as pie, no muss or fuss. In the front, this would be the same approach. Press out the old, press in the new.

2) STi rear axles are dirt cheap, because they only fit STi's.

So I'd follow the same approach as above, designing a new hub that presses into stock bearings. But instead of having the OE R160 spline, I'd have an R180 spline. This would let you use cheaper STi axles, but completely excludes people who just want to go 5x114 and keep their stock rear axles. Spec-B guys are shafted, because they can't run 5x114 without buying new axles. This is offset, because their axles are worth more to people who don't want 5x114.

3) The 5x100 wheel bearings are questionable in quality and durability. The 5x114 wheel bearings aren't thus effected.

Since I think drilling out the trailing arm is a little worrisome, I'd rather design a bearing cup that fits the STi's larger bearings but bolts directly to the trailing arm. This would use OE STi bearings, hubs, and axles. The fronts would be similar, but you can retain the stock Legacy axles, which you'd be doing no matter what.

I'm not sure if this is actually possible, because I haven't seen a trailing link removed from a vehicle, so some machine work might need to be done. If that is the case, then it's not worthwhile, and solutions 1 and 2 are better.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The easier method that I may have discovered is to just get a 08+ rear subframe. The bolt points to the car look identical from the pictures. I'm going to get some measurements on a 2009 STi subframe I have then try and measure my car.

The issue is the track width for the GR Sti is 60.2", my BE is 57.3" Does anyone know how this is changed? As in do you think the actual strut mount location is different or is it just longer lateral links to position the hub farther out?

If the strut mount locations are different then I assume its a no go.

Ben

What about the front?

I believe the bolt spacing on the actual front knuckle is different for the strut to attach(at least it is different compared to a 2008 impreza I believe). The solution would be to run STi struts in the front with BL/BP tophats I think but this is speculation on my part but I think correct.

If someone wants to measure their bolt spacing on their GT knuckle I can measure the GR one and see if there is a difference.

Ben

I'm really sorry guys for the late reply.

This is my rush season here in Quebec. ;)

It's impossible for me to explain how you can do this mod but I can help you figure it out.

We’ve machined the rear trailing arms to put the STI bearing on. We put the STI backing plate. To be able to fix it, you need to change the bolt pattern of the plate and change the position of the spring retainer of the parking brake.

In the front, you need a custom coilovers to fit the right knuckle.

This is all the info I can give you via internet.

My solution doesn't involve anything with the knuckles. Just machine and heat-treat a new hub to fit the stock bearings. Voila. 5x114 without any drama.

If the STi bearings are, indeed, much beefier than the stock Legacy ones. Then machine a new carrier cup with the proper bolt pattern to bolt to the stock knuckles.

Those would be my approaches.

I'm really sorry guys for the late reply.

This is my rush season here in Quebec. ;)

It's impossible for me to explain how you can do this mod but I can help you figure it out.

We’ve machined the rear trailing arms to put the STI bearing on. We put the STI backing plate. To be able to fix it, you need to change the bolt pattern of the plate and change the position of the spring retainer of the parking brake.

In the front, you need a custom coilovers to fit the right knuckle.

This is all the info I can give you via internet.

Antho303T, Do you speak english? I'm curious if you could better explain it over the phone rather than type it. If so do you have a number I can call you at. :)

I am planning to try and put a STi backing plate onto my BE. Are you saying the bolt pattern is different than the stock BE rear wheel bearing bolt pattern and it needs to be re-drilled?

Thanks!

Ben

I guess the better question Antho303T is did you use a 08+ rear bearing/hub? If so would the 04-07 rear backing plate work with a STOCK BE rear wheel bearing? The bolt pattern looks similar. That is what I'm trying to determine.

Thanks!

Ben