LegacyGT.com

Conversion 5x100 to 5x114.3 on 05 LGT

lfrisé

definitely subscribing to this! I would love to have a 5x114 hub setup even just for the rear axles, but mostly for cheap rotors, wheels.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Well I was speaking to another member shainz he was actually going to check the 08 sti hubs too, since i think he said the knuckles look the same. I guess we will just have to wait.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

considering that when 5X100 impreza's do a full sti drivetrain swap + 5X114.3, they swap the knuckles/suspension pieces front and rear i believe to make it work; i wonder if there are even actually any 5X114.3 legacy's running around; considering the difference's in the 05+ legacy's suspension, to the sti.

Wrong. WRX to STi swap only requires that they change to the 05+ STi knuckle/hub/strut on the front. Rear only requires them to change out the hub.

I keep considering doing this, but until I have another car, I can't afford the downtime to do this in a practical manner.

So... what exactly are you guys cooking up for the rear swap? Is there any way I can help?

As for me, quote for tribeca bolt-on front and rear hubs, along with the bolts to attach the bolt on hub, if they are the same part for the legacy and the tribeca. If not, than there is no point.

So... what exactly are you guys cooking up for the rear swap? Is there any way I can help?

i have some ideas. i havent had a chance to look at the rear hubs for the 05-09 legacy up close, but i know they come as an assembly. i know the older impreza/legacy had hubs that could be pressed together. now although the new hubs come as an assembly, I'm curious to see if they can be dissasembled using a press or otherwise so the hub(separated from the bearing) from a 05+ or 08+ sti or tribecca can be put in to the bearing and knuckle flange of a 05+ legacy. I have a press myself, so i was waiting till i could get a hold of a old rear hub/bearing assembly of a legacy and sti/tribecca to see if i could make something happen.

FBP, if you guys are willing to experiment with this, given that you have access to parts, perhaps you could make this hybrid im talking about.

So we are trying to take the hub-to-trailing arm portion of the hub from the Legacy (since we assume it is a unique bolt pattern), along with the splines to accept the axle. Question: isn't the spline different for R180 vs. R160? Meaning the spec.Bs would need a different "kit" from the GT?

Then we would press out the wheel hub portion of the STI unit, and try to press it in to the GT unit?

^correct. the splines may be different, but that means we may have to use the one from the tribecca(assuming the tribecca uses a r160) but then again, the spec b uses a r180... all these things have to be tested. the outer axle stub from the sti might be ale to be installed on the legacy axle if the splines are in fact different. the real problem i see is that the hub plate with studs may sit at a different depth than it normally would, that would locate the brake rotor outside of the position it should be for the factory caliper bracket. a new caliper bracket would have to be made then. but all this has to be determined from a test fitting with a 05+ or 08+ sti rear rotor and caliper using this hybrid hub/bearing assembly that we are talking about.

FBP, do you have any old 05+ legacy and STI/tribecca rear hubs sitting around to try things with, or perhaps you could send me them so i can mess around with them? we first have to see if these assemblies can be disassembled and the hub plate from one can be pressed in to the other.

The first step is coming up with a solid test plan rather than just "look at everything". We will talk with the service department and see if there any worn out hubs hanging around for us to test with.

Does it make sense to start with an R160 option since there are far more GTs than Spec.Bs, or with the R180 because those inclined to do this swap would want to run an R180 torsen rear?

*OP, we can start a new thread if this is derailing yours...

well, here is what i think the step by step test process should be...

1. see if the hub/stud plates can be separated from the bearing assembly. If they can...

2. can the sti or tribecca stud/hub plate be installed/pressed in to the legacy bearing/knuckle flange assembly. If they can...

3. test fit hybrid asembly on legacy along with 5x114.3 rear rotor and brembo rear caliper with pads. if everything fits( the rotor fits properly on center with the caliper) then more on to worrying about axle splines. if not, a special caliper bracket may have to be made to get the caliper to fit over the rotor on center. this may affect wheel fitment, but doubt it since its the rear.

4. since the female axle splined part is on the transferred 5x114.3 hub/stud plate, the lgt alxe has to fit in to that spline pattern. if it does, we're set. if not, for R160 people, will a tribecca rear axle work? or, maybe the outer axle stub with the right spline pattern can be installed on a LGT rear axle. for r180 spec b people, maybe the whole sti rear axle would fit.

if you get all 4, we got ourselves a fairly cheap and viable hub conversion for the rear.

So really it seems the key is finding a 5x114.3 hub/stud plate that is splined correctly for our axles. Turning down an OD or opening a bore is easy... broaching new splines not so much.

Was their any year of WRX/STi that used both an R160 and 5x114.3? This might be the lowest hanging fruit on the tree that everyone has already looked for, but I am new to this idea.

no, but thats why i think the tribecca hardware will be valuable. its the only instance subaru ever did with a r160 and a 5x114.3 hub. if you can confirm the tribecca does infact use a r160. i think it does cause it has the 5eat trans.

and to me, the key is seeing weather or not these hubs can be taken apart to even swap the hub/stud plate.

Everything can be taken apart. :lol:

I can look up the part number and even the vaca pix for the Tribeca, but I don't think they identify the diff as R160 or R180 there... usually "T-type" or "VA" etc. Is there something specific I should look for?

Just need a place to dump this info:

28473AG00B - 2005-2009 Legacy/Outback hub unit

Not specific to R180 or R160

5x100

28473FG000 - 2008+ WRX and 2009+ Forester rear hub unit

Assuming all R160 differentials?

5x100

28473FG010 - 2008+ STI rear hub unit

R180

5x114.3

28462FE001 - 2004 STI hub flange

R180?

5x100

28462FE011 - 2005-2007 STI hub flange

R180

5x114.3

28473XA00B - 2006-2010 Tribeca rear hub unit

R160

5x114.3

Since the hub unit isn't specific for R160 vs. R180 Legacies, we can't rule out the STI hub for being R180 alone. If the axle splines are different, sure.

I will see if we can get the Legacy, STI and Tribeca hubs to work with.

Edited by FredBeans