LegacyGT.com

Conversion 5x100 to 5x114.3 on 05 LGT

lfrisé

I was investigating this, and it's no go. At least not in a bolt on way.

There is a slight chance this would work: 00-04 Legacy hub is separate from bearing housing. The bolt points on the bearing housing is same as 05-09 Legacy. One could get 00-04 Legacy bearing housing and SVX rear hub (5x114.3), again separate from teh bearing - it probably won't fit, but I bet could be machined down and be pressed into the 00-04 bearing housing.

The question is how to safely do such kind of machining so to not compromise the hub strength. I am not a metallurgist/machinist, so I don't know, but I guess some extra care should be used. This is a very safety critical part obviously.

IMO you would be better off trying to press apart a 05 lgt front and rear hub/bearing and see if the hub sections are the same. if so, you could trake apart a 08 sti front hub/bearing and press the hub in to the 05 lgt rear beaing. though the 05+ lgt hub/bearings come as a unit, that is just how they are serviced. one should be able to take one apart to mess around with. anyone have a worn out front and rear lgt hub/bearing? they should be pretty common ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Ok I have another idea' date=' what about swapping the rear hub/bearing/holding plate from a 5x114.3 08-10 STI. Someone has a picture of the part on could take measurment.[/quote']

this definitly will not work.

unless someone succeeds and disassembling our rear hubs to see if othe parts can be press together to frankenstein somthing up, the hub conversion thing is a lost cause.

• 1 month later...
what does this have to do with hub bolt patters?:confused:

The knuckle (or whatever you call it, where the two bolts go, one for camber) is thicker on the 114.3 set-ups.

IE: 08+ WRX vs 08+ STI, I think that part is the only difference for coil-overs between the two.

^are you sure its thicker? compare it to the front tribecca knuckle which is the same as an 05-10 legacy but has the 5x114.3 hub.

I am not sure. Just thinking back to a conversation I had with Myles from RCE. I could be wrong.

I'm sort of interested in this because I have some wheels from my 05 STi that I could use on my legacy.

From what I can tell, the 05-9 legacies use bolt on hub/bearings for the front and rear.

I know the 05+ Sti uses bolt on hub/bearings on the front, so it might be possible to just bolt up those hubs to the Legacy front knuckles. You'd probably have to change a couple other items also, but I'm not sure at this time.

It also looks like the 08+ Impreza uses bolt on hub/bearings for the rear. Somebody said the Tribeca uses them also. So, you might be able to bolt up the hub/bearings directly to the knuckle also.

I can't do much research on this right now as I'm in the middle of a move.

Quite frankly, the reason I'd do this is because the STi hub/bearings are stronger.

• 2 months later...

i dont want to convert to 5x114.3 per se', but i would love to have an R180 size rear bearing/hub so i can just use STI axels for my R180, not the crazy expensive (read: over $300 per) Spec B rear axels.

im going to order the spec b ones, but i do have some time, if there's ideas to be had.

still won't work i think. considering that the sti's have a hub bore of 73mm where as the 5X100's have a hub bore of 56.1mm. even if you could, the (assuming sti) wheels, need somewhere to sit on.

bolt-on 114.3mm wheel bearing assembly probably won't fit either. part of the assembly sits inside the knuckle, and considering the bearing is bigger in the 114.3mm, that part that sits inside the knuckle is probably bigger too.

considering that when 5X100 impreza's do a full sti drivetrain swap + 5X114.3, they swap the knuckles/suspension pieces front and rear i believe to make it work; i wonder if there are even actually any 5X114.3 legacy's running around; considering the difference's in the 05+ legacy's suspension, to the sti.

if i had the extra scratch, id buy an 08 hub and try it, but all im after is an easier way to get my r180 in the rear, and iv'e decided to just get the damn spec b axles.

i think even if you have to have the rear spindle machined out to accept the hub, it would be worth it, but in order to even take advantage you'd have to have the R180 out back.. so this could be feasable for spec b guys, and sti 6-speed swapped guys.

i have a sneaking suspiscion that the hub may just bolt in. if i can get my dealer to bring one in for me to test with, i'll try it..

The rear cross member from a 08 STI + bolt directly to the rear but the Suspension is behind the axles on the 08 STI compared to LGT sitting in the front.

I have all at home to try to make it work. Starting to work on this in the next 2 weeks. Please stay tune for the update. I will post pictures off the process.