LegacyGT.com

09 SpecB vs '10 GT vs '10 STI

jsimonetti

Hey all, Im in the market for a new subie as my lease for my 09 legacy 2.5i is expiring shortly and I really need your help. Im looking at either (all new) 2009 Spec B, a 2010 LGT Limited, or a 2010 STI. Prices are probably all going to be between 35 and 38k (correct me if im wrong). I loved the SI drive idea, I wish they didnt take it away from the 2010 LGT and give it to the STI, so thats why the STI is in this throw down. Any advice? What would you get?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure the dealer will tell you that.

Here's an example for you. List price is crazy, sticker on the pic is more realistic. These aren't very popular cars and Subaru dealers are moving the most (mostly MY2010) cars they ever did, so all these spec.B's are doing - just occupying valuable lot space. I'd offer ~26k to every dealer that lists new spec.B's and go from there. Use autotrader/edmunds etc to find them.

If you don't buy the 10 LGT, then you should think about the Wrx over the Sti. I think the Wrx performs just as well and it's alot less. With the extra $10k, you can put towards the Wrx.

The STI is so much more of a car than the other turbocharged Subarus.

The STI has TC/stability control AND 3 LSD. The 09 Spec B has just 2 LSDs and TC/SC and that missing front LSD makes a huge difference. You just don't know it till you have one - and I now do. Forget the 2010 car; it lost the rear LSD, gained excessively in size...and the style ...oh well. If you can afford the STI, get it if not Spec B and work your way towards upgrading the car eventually.

You should realize that the three cars mentioned are completely different rides all with their charms. The bottom lines are basically as follows:

2010 LGT - Better resale value than 2009, WAY more room, better ride. Fast family car with more edgy styling. Comparable in looks to the current run of Toyotas and Hondas

2009 LGT spec B - some points for rarity. Tight cab front and rear. Comparible speed, braking and handling. More mods available right now. Looks like a 15 year old Honda Accord so rather dated styling.

2010 STI - the extra 10k over WRX goes into very high end braking and suspension parts, plus excellent engine modifications. Better suited for serious road work. Not as practical as the others. Poor resale value.

Pete

id go for the spec B. the STI is fast and fun but is way too stiff for my liking. dont forget to add that sti and wrx insurance is rediculous compared to the LGT. if you want a nice daily driver that can get up and go the spec B is your ride.

The 09 is also the best looking EVAR!!

Dude in a brand new BMW 545i comes out of Starbucks and asked "is that your car?, stunning, absolutely stunning".

Gotta love it!

A white 09 Spec-B with my blk. OZ rims and a K2 front bumper conversion = Sexiest Suby that would exist!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

The quotes I had when I was thinking STi hatch vs Spec.B put the latter higher, since stupid progressive didn't have separate entry for an STi, so it came out as WRX wagon, which is cheaper than sedan. Not sure what would've happened if I actually purchased the STi policy...

Test drive them all and look up 5 year ownership costs and see which one you think best fits your budget. We can all give you tons of opinions, but its your car, so pick the one you would be the most happy driving for a few years to come.
It's cool; I'm with the band

+1 to Joe.

Test drive all 3 repeatedly--see how you feel behind the wheel of each. If you search these threads you will find polarizing opinions about all three of the cars you mentioned.

My nickel's worth:

STi--tight ride, punishing by some standards. Street rocket.

10 GT--larger car, family sedan w an engine that kicks. Interesting styling.

09 Spec B--Bit of a cross between the above two. Not as large as 10 GT by a long-shot, but styling is more subtle (& sporty, IMHO). Check for a difference in the feel of the shifters as well--the 10 switched to a cable-shifter (may not bother you, but check it).

Bottom line--if you're keeping it for 3-5 years, do your best to be certain that you will be happy w it. Best of luck w your choice. Let us know which way you go--& post photos!

:)

Archived