LegacyGT.com

Manual Heat/AC - No heat passenger side = bad heater core?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I have got a different problem... plenty of heat but it only comes out of dash vents... no footwell or windshield defrost..( no matter what buttons I press)

A/C works but same deal only comes out of dash vents... any ideas before I start taking the dash apart?

Probably the mode door is not operating. Maybe a servo died or maybe the mode door's pin popped out of the servo's white plastic "cam". I'd probably start by removing the glove box completely and then the servos can all be seen as you operate the controls.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 4 months later...
ive had the problem with the low heat on passenger side for a few weeks so today i moved the temp control up gradually and ive had no problem since

Have the heater core flushed and back flushed before it cakes up and has to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
well i thought i had this cracked but its plays up every morning since .. has flushed the core and now i suspect that it has to be the temp mixer flaps on the side of the heater box ... so looks like more work involved

well i thought i had this cracked but its plays up every morning since .. has flushed the core and now i suspect that it has to be the temp mixer flaps on the side of the heater box ... so looks like more work involved

Are you manual or auto climate?

What side are you having heat issues on?

• 2 weeks later...
auto and just the passenger side

Mine too is an auto and the issue was just on the passenger side, so it was reasonable to conclude it was the air mix actuator for that side. But given the number of single-zone owners with the problem, further exploration was needed.

Open the glove box and pull the small liner where the manual gets stuffed. Adjust the temperature for the passenger side and see if you can see the air mix actuator move back and forth as you adjust the temp up and down.

When I initially took it in for this problem, I asked for a cooling system flush. This didn't remedy the problem.

It wasn't until I asked specifically for a flush and backflush that the heater core finally ran clear and heat on the passenger side was restored.

Mine too is an auto and the issue was just on the passenger side, so it was reasonable to conclude it was the air mix actuator for that side. But given the number of single-zone owners with the problem, further exploration was needed.

Open the glove box and pull the small liner where the manual gets stuffed. Adjust the temperature for the passenger side and see if you can see the air mix actuator move back and forth as you adjust the temp up and down.

When I initially took it in for this problem, I asked for a cooling system flush. This didn't remedy the problem.

It wasn't until I asked specifically for a flush and backflush that the heater core finally ran clear and heat on the passenger side was restored.

im seeing this to be a actuator fault .. to me if the heater core was blocked it would only blow cool air through out the whole system .. not just on one side ... but i will be having a look at what you have said regards the mix actuator though . thanks for the info

That is the mystery about this whole passenger side thing. As the heater core begins to clog with scale, for some reason it always effects the passenger side... to the point where it blows no heat at all, and the driver side blows hot air. Yes it's odd. Definitely. But for some reason that's the failure mode of the plugged heater core in an LGT.

A fairly aggressive flush helped restore passenger side heat to mine. I did reverse the direction several times (flush with hose water from one pipe for a bit, then switch to the other pipe and flush that for a bit. Repeat this several times. I also poured CLR into the core full strength and let it sit for a few minutes to break down some of the deposits. Then did a few more flushes with water. Finally I blew out the tap water, hooked up the hoses, and tested it out. You may have to top off your coolant just a little after this.

This being said, can it be an actuator? Sure. But it just seems like 90% of the time it's the heater core.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 3 months later...
I would explore replacing the core it was the only thing that fixed my issue for good. I tried flushing it to no avail, its not a hard job so much as an annoying one. Do remove the console, take out your radio and the dash framework around the radio. Also all the kick panels on both sides and have goo versatile lighting and a telescoping magnet.

I would explore replacing the core it was the only thing that fixed my issue for good. I tried flushing it to no avail, its not a hard job so much as an annoying one. Do remove the console, take out your radio and the dash framework around the radio. Also all the kick panels on both sides and have goo versatile lighting and a telescoping magnet.

do you have to strip the heater box to gain access to the core ?

Archived