LegacyGT.com

Manual Heat/AC - No heat passenger side = bad heater core?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes please. I want to see how to fix my door issue. I only have heat and AC blowing to my face but no where else. ANd I have the dual HVAC.

I will have to take a new video. I can't seem to up load my video (MTS file) :(

GT has electric controls... For the 2.5i, and where this thread really applies, we have manual or cable driven actuators.

Yours may have been a distinct problem, but with the same/similar symptoms.

Ahh sorry thought what I noticed might help.. my mistake.

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE!! Just wanted to confirm that flushing + reverse flushing the two heater core lines solved the no hot air problem for my passenger side vents. Now my passenger side blows nice and warm! Thanks for the help guys!

It's nice when things work out :D

• 8 months later...

I have just come across some of these symptoms this morning - with a slight twist, anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

2006 Subaru legacy: Hot air blows only on drivers side, cold air on passenger side. When I have the mode selected to blow through the top vents, my temperature gaugse points in the red - when I switch the mode to blow on the floor, the gauge comes down to normal operating temperature (in the middle).

Does this sound like the heater core?

the temperature gauge should not move in relation the vent selector.

unless your engine is about to die ! ..

does the gauge move with in 1 second up and down ? or over a couple minuets?

check your coolant level in the radiator and the reservoir with engine cold.

and make sure your engine cooling fans are working! ..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I have just encountered this for the second time in two years on my 2005 GT wagon.... passenger side only on both occasions. problem is rust particles clogging the system; thorough flushing takes care of it. what a pain. the real worry is why so much rust.

• 3 weeks later...

Just happened to me this morning (12 F outside) my shop of choice cant do the flush so I fear I may be forced to the dealer :(

Anyone know of a shop in NoVA that can do the flush? I dont have access to a hose to power flush the core :/

^ well is it a rush to fix? i under stand its annoying .. but for the love of god dont take it to the dealer..

Was thinking about this on the way home, there is only 5weeks or so left of "cold" weather here in the Mid Atlantic as long as my driver side is warm i can deal. The passenger well theyll need a scarf :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Flush fix confirmed. Manual flush with garden hose and compressed air + running with pure distilled water not very effective. Hooked up hoses backwards and ran engine with Peak coolant flush and water, and I saw the temps start to equalize. Not sure if I should leave the heater core hooked up backwards or not when I refill now.

No. If it went from driver to passenger we would not happen. It's build like a T with the passenger side at the bottom, which means all the crap goes there and collects regardless of the direction of flow.

My flush was not as good as I thought, going back to 20F outdoor temp, it's not as good as I would like. Perhaps it will clear up with more driving. I gained 1.5 mpg on my drive this morning, I didn't think my coolant was in bad enough shape to do that but *ok* I'll take it.

• 1 year later...

Add me to the list of victims. My '06 SE sedan (single zone, manual control HVAC) with 78k miles started exhibiting this problem: little to no heat on the passenger side only, but with seemingly appropriate airflow. It's at the shop now. I forwarded this thread to the service manager.

This is the first problem we've had with our nearly 8-year-old Subie (though low miles). Hopefully it's indeed something this simple (and, more importantly, cheap!!) and not a core replacement. Are there any known TSBs on this issue?

I'll concur that this thread should be stickied.

Thanks, folks!

Don't bother forwarding the thread to the service manager, just ask them to flush and backflush the heater core and keep doing so until it runs clear.

The important bit is the doing just the heater core. Dealers will often just flush the entire cooling system and that won't work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived