LegacyGT.com

Manual Heat/AC - No heat passenger side = bad heater core?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are getting heat to one side it should not need a flush. It is probably something to do with the door that moves when you change modes on the a/c. The door is usually controlled with vacuum or electric servos that move it to the different modes. Cars typically have a default setting of defrost since that is one of the most important functions of the venting system. If there is not warm air there, then I would say that the core is blocked or there is air in the system and the warm coolant can't circulate or their is also a heater control valve that could not be operating correctly and keeping the warm coolant from flowing through the core. I think it would be kind of rare to have plugged cores with our newer cars unless you live somewhere with really hard water. I have not had any problems and I did live somewhere with hard water. I am up to 110k now.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

Sometimes there is linkage that controls the mode door. Has anyone gone into the dash to see if the linkage is still connected properly? The doors can be controlled electrically by vacuum or by linkage.
BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

• 9 months later...
I noticed, only recently, that my driver's side vents seem to blow hotter air than the passenger side. Passenger side is still quite warm, just not quite as hot. Not sure if its always been this way as I only realized this recently.

Hopefully, its not a precursor to the topic at discussion in this thread?

So, it's done. Passenger side is definitely cold now after last coolant change. I think the Holt's (subaru coolant conditioner) is definitely a factor. I shouldn't have bothered adding it in.

I've now drained and refilled the system twice in an attempt to get rid of any remaining coolant mixture and refilled again with just Peak extended life coolant and distilled water.

I'm going to get the heater core flushed next week at the dealer in an attempt to restore flow.

I would first check if there is a servo actuator for the mix of hot/cold air for the passenger side that has failed.

But there should also be a feedback sensor for each side, and if that fails and says that it's warmer than it really is the heat will also decrease.

I haven't studied the heating system in detail, so I'm not entirely sure about the details. And it sucks to crawl under the instrument panel...

453747.png

Hatepylons---did you ever get anywhere with the complaint filed with Subaru NA? Anyone else with this problem have any success....I have not.

PATrout - I didn't get anywhere with it, as I had other financial burdens crop up. In short, Subaru NA wanted me to front the money for the repair and components. Pending an investigation on what was found they said they might do something goodwill, but nothing guaranteed. So I politely asked my girlfriend to wear an extra coat and crank the seat warmers. She's still with me to this day, and the car still isn't fixed.

I'm curious about this whole "power flush" thing that someone else has mentioned........ I've debated running acid through the core to help aid the removal of sediment.

PATrout - I didn't get anywhere with it, as I had other financial burdens crop up. In short, Subaru NA wanted me to front the money for the repair and components. Pending an investigation on what was found they said they might do something goodwill, but nothing guaranteed. So I politely asked my girlfriend to wear an extra coat and crank the seat warmers. She's still with me to this day, and the car still isn't fixed.

I'm curious about this whole "power flush" thing that someone else has mentioned........ I've debated running acid through the core to help aid the removal of sediment.

Do you have a name of anyone you were talking with at SOA?

If the flush doesn't help (usually done in conjunction with a cleaner/solvent soak), I may try to pursue something similar with Subaru of Canada. The more reports that are filed, the better we are at getting somewhere with an issue like this.

I had my coolant changed per recommended service interval at 48k kms by the dealer. They used green coolant and the conditioner so I've done everything by the book to date.

Do you have a name of anyone you were talking with at SOA?

Unfortunately I do not. Once I found I had to front the monies, I dropped it as I was cash poor at that point. I explained that to the rep, and he said he'll leave the complaint open under my VIN# for whenever I was ready to proceed.

I had my coolant changed per recommended service interval at 48k kms by the dealer. They used green coolant and the conditioner so I've done everything by the book to date.

As did I. Lot of good it did. Blah.

Unfortunately I do not. Once I found I had to front the monies, I dropped it as I was cash poor at that point. I explained that to the rep, and he said he'll leave the complaint open under my VIN# for whenever I was ready to proceed.

Could you PM me your VIN when you have a chance? I'd like to record as much background detail as possible when presenting my findings.

Hey guys, perhaps I can count myself in on this investigation. I didn't notice a problem with the passenger heat system until this winter. The only major change I can recall was that I had the coolant flushed (dealer service) in the fall.

There's no way I'm going to bring this problem to my local dealer (I'm impressed when they can figure out my LGT has a turbo in it), but I might let another shop take a crack at it soon.

There's no way I'm going to bring this problem to my local dealer (I'm impressed when they can figure out my LGT has a turbo in it), but I might let another shop take a crack at it soon.

Unfortunately, unless it's a dealer that looks at it, Subaru won't be aware of the issue...

I'm a member of a local Subaru club and we get a 10% discount on labor/parts at the local dealerships so that brings the cost of the flush within a few bucks of a non-dealer shop. I think it's worth it to have the dealer be made aware of the issue if this is truly becoming a problem.

I had my heater core replaced a couple weeks ago. Now the heat is working fine on both sides.

Did you have it done at the dealer? Cost? Any explanation given as to why they're failing?

X2, I think I've got the same problem that has cropped up over the weekend. Driver's side cranks out the heat, and the passenger side is cold. Strange that nobody in all the thready I've read on this had the driver side go cold...always the passenger side.

X2, I think I've got the same problem that has cropped up over the weekend. Driver's side cranks out the heat, and the passenger side is cold. Strange that nobody in all the thready I've read on this had the driver side go cold...always the passenger side.

One of those threads linked in this one was my experience.

The dealer explained that there was a run of heater cores that were faulty (coolant leaking into it or something like that).

Unfortunately the new heater core they put in mine is way too effective.

I have no real temp adjustment. It's either blazing hot or freezing cold. After bringing it to two dealers here (thinking some blenders were all messed up) they both informed me that everything is hooked up properly.

One of those threads linked in this one was my experience.

The dealer explained that there was a run of heater cores that were faulty (coolant leaking into it or something like that).

Unfortunately the new heater core they put in mine is way too effective.

I have no real temp adjustment. It's either blazing hot or freezing cold. After bringing it to two dealers here (thinking some blenders were all messed up) they both informed me that everything is hooked up properly.

I'm assuming the new heater core is an OEM part if it was installed by the dealer? Does anyone have experience with aftermarket parts for this? I'm leary of going used due to the nature of the failure.

Did anyone have sucess with backflushing, or did everyone end up having to replace the heater core to resolve this?

I'm assuming the new heater core is an OEM part if it was installed by the dealer? Does anyone have experience with aftermarket parts for this? I'm leary of going used due to the nature of the failure.

Did anyone have sucess with backflushing, or did everyone end up having to replace the heater core to resolve this?

If you're going to replace, definitely go with OEM. Easy to find for US$60 vs C$140 so shop around. It's not the core that is $$$ though, it's the labor to replace at 4-5 hours of shop time.

I drained and filled my system twice with straight water until it came out clear after recently changing my coolant and adding the subaru coolant conditioner. After the coolant change, I got cold air out of the passenger side. After doing the full fluid swap (not power flushed), I was able to restore some warmth to the passenger side but I could still realize a 30-40 degree Celsius difference between the two sides.

I had the car into the dealer today to power flush just the heater core. They flushed it with CLR twice and it seems to have restored more heat to the passenger side. Not quite even, but better again. I'll check with a thermometer what the resultant difference is now.

NOTE - I just found this on the CLR FAQ:

Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?

No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely.

• 8 months later...
Bumping this, I kind of slept on this over the summer, but now that fall is coming, it needs to be dealt with ASAP. I think I'm going to let the dealer flush, and ask them to keep the coolant conditioner out of the mix, hopefully that will get some heat back in the passenger side and prevent it from clogging up again.

Archived