LegacyGT.com

DM's PIAA Ion Crystal Fogs

Drift Monkey

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sure. If we had sensitivity to the near infrared, we could drive through anything.

Don't try to one-up me on color theory. I am uniquely qualified....in more than one way :lol:

I will try. The internet's knowledge > yours you damn liberal arts major. :lol: Don't forget you're the one who started the whole "mr. smartypants" comment, I just proved I'm not a n00b myself. ;)

my fiancee's knowledge > internet > my various archaeology and remote sensing courses.....

:lol:

Seriously, unless you know what a Pantone number is or have used a Munsell book, don't try and skool me boi!! :lol::lol:

my fiancee's knowledge > internet > my various archaeology and remote sensing courses.....

:lol:

Seriously, unless you know what a Pantone number is or have used a Munsell book, don't try and skool me boi!! :lol::lol:

http://www.light-house.com.hk/stationery/pantone2007.jpghttp://www.coloracademy.co.uk/Subjects/Munsell/stuff.jpg

intArw3b > Your fiance + you. :lol: The great equalizer of knowledge!

Oh, and put your e-wang away, stop trying to compare it! :lol:

As if you're one to object! :lol:

Hey, I might be blingy, but I ain't THAT blingie! ;)

I definitely think that blue-scatter is real, but as Stern pointed out, optically, it's only really a problem if the water droplets are smaller than the wavelength of incident light....which, of course, in the real-world foul-weather conditions, indluding fog, hardly happens. Well, unless, of course, you're talking about the much smaller water vapors in the air, which makes our sky blue. :)

In this sense, what makes us "see better" with the yellow is that our eyes are naturally more attuned to this wavelength - and secondly, that the blue-scatter we perceive instead stems from incident glare, exacerbated by the much larger water droplets.

As for Infra-red?

Just wait a few more years. I am in the field of biomedical research, ophthalmology, actually.

The first steps towards such implants, which gave a blind test-subject near 20/200 vision (yes, this is still "legally blind," but that's where the dstinction must be made between not being able to see anything at all, and actually being able to see), already took place some 5 years ago.

My dreams of being able to spot enforcers parked on the side of the road, at night, with their markers off (think Jackie Chan, in Cannonball), should be reality in not many more years.

In these days of better than 20/20 vision via laser corrective surgery, better things are just around the corner. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Hey, I might be blingy, but I ain't THAT blingie! ;)

I definitely think that blue-scatter is real, but as Stern pointed out, optically, it's only really a problem if the water droplets are smaller than the wavelength of incident light....which, of course, in the real-world foul-weather conditions, indluding fog, hardly happens. Well, unless, of course, you're talking about the much smaller water vapors in the air, which makes our sky blue. :)

In this sense, what makes us "see better" with the yellow is that our eyes are naturally more attuned to this wavelength - and secondly, that the blue-scatter we perceive instead stems from incident glare, exacerbated by the much larger water droplets.

At least SOMEONE got what I was saying. :)

At least SOMEONE got what I was saying. :)

^ Yeah, but I'm bling! :lol::p:D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Edumacate a n00b:

Why go yellow bulbs on fog lights?

Seems like everyone wants some kinda Blue faked-HID look.. but why Yellow for fogs?

:) Like Roundboy said, the mystery is solved in the thread. :)

Short version?

It's because yellow isn't "fake bling." ;)

I forgot to show you guys teh wedge bulbs, here ya go:

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/1633/img00198qs.jpg

Left: Ion Crystal Right: Stock

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/2973/img00210vr.jpg

Both in.

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/5563/img00223zl.jpg

closAr!

NOOOOO!!!! :icon_surp

Just makes it easier for the cops to read your license plate!!! :icon_bigg

Just received my ion crystals today shipped to me for $44,..good deal to Hawaii,...took like 10 min to install,..no problem,..

Take off the outer cosmetic covers/surrounds.

Look for the long "gold"-colored screw/bolt, inboard, upper corner. It's a Phillips-head, and pretty durable, but be-careful as the long screw does wobble-about quite a bit, and you might strip or slip off the head (and either hurt yourself or break your fog-light lens).

Clockwise turns will raise aim.

Before you proceed, though......

I am of the opinion that as set from the factory (assuming that they set it correctly), the design of our fogs truly is fog/inclimate-weather illumination.

It is aimed so far "down" so as to reduce/eliminate back-scatter, which is an effect you can notice easily in denser fogbanks.

Aiming the bulbs "up" a bit will get you better roadway illumination, but I'll caution you that it will also mean increased back-scatter, too.

So adjust carefully, and keep this balance in-mind.

I noted my vehicle position as well as light hot-spot so as to be able to reset to "zero" - this can be easily done by parking your vehicle on level ground, marking where your front tires are, and then marking where your fogs' hot-spots hit, _BEFORE_ you make any adjustments.

I found the nokya H7 on line and they are rated at 7000K! Doesn't that make them kinda too blue? The PIAA extreme whites are rated at 4000K.

NOKYA Arctic White Pro Halogen H7 (Stage II)

12V100W

High Wattage

PIAA Xtreme White Plus (H7) Halogen Light Bulb (PIAA-17655)

Bulb Type H7

Wattage 55W = 110W XTRA, 4000K

I found the nokya H7 on line and they are rated at 7000K! Doesn't that make them kinda too blue? The PIAA extreme whites are rated at 4000K.

NOKYA Arctic White Pro Halogen H7 (Stage II)

12V100W

High Wattage

PIAA Xtreme White Plus (H7) Halogen Light Bulb (PIAA-17655)

Bulb Type H7

Wattage 55W = 110W XTRA, 4000K

yea they have have a decent blue tint but they look identical to H.I.D and put out plenty of light...way better than stock

they are actually 70w draw =100w output

mixed with the yellow fogs they put out more than enough and look great...nothin but compliments

• 2 weeks later...
I did the PIAA Ion Crystal swap a little while ago and there is a definite improvement in visibility in rain/mist/fog. For really poor conditions, if you do the fog lights only mod you can then just run with parking lights (so your tails and side markers are lit) plus only the fogs so you have no glare back from the headlights.

I just switched out the factory headlight bullbs yesterday with PIAA Xtreme White Plus 4000K for a little whiter low beams, and PIAA Xtreme Force 4700K for slight blue tint highs. I don't get to use the highs too often, and if there's any reduced visibility or oncomming traffic I wouldn't be using the highs anyway so no concern about glare. Also, when they're off and viewed from head on the high beam reflectors looks blue, which I think complements the Regal Blue paint.

I tried the blue headlight film but never could get it to fit flat over the entire headlight housing because of the bulge, no matter how much adjusted it so gave up on those.

I'll try to get some pix up eventually (gotta get me my own digicam 'cause the wife's always got "ours" somewhere).

Can you take pics of your headlights with the lights turned off so we can see how blue the reflectors look?

Can you take pics of your headlights with the lights turned off so we can see how blue the reflectors look?

I'll try when I get home later. They only reflect the blue when you look at them straight on, level with the centerline of the highs.

Archived