LegacyGT.com

A note on Subaru AWD: it ain't that symmetrical

f1anatic

Yesterday I mailed to Romania 2 rear driveshafts on a Subaru Forester XT 2004. Not only are there DIFFERENT part numbers of the left and right driveshafts but according to the post office, one box weighed 9 lbs 7.8 oz and the other 12 lb 15.8 oz.

p/n 28421FE121 - right side $370

p/n 28421FE131 - left side $370

Initially we tried buying the DOJ KIT (dual offset joint) to rebult these driveshafts but there was 1 available in United States...and you guessed it none in Europe. A DOJ kit costs about $160 here and $440 in Romania. A driveshaft costs $370 here and $1100 in Romania.

Now they both came in the same type of box, same thickness, same everything. I do not know which one was heavier but I can ask upon receipt. But there you have it...at 3 lbs difference and different part numbers they are NOT identical and the drivetrain is not that symmetrical. The front ones are the same because cca 2007 I took my front driveshafts off and switched them ... the factory front right side is now on the left side of the car (and the other way around). And they weighed the same and had the same p/n. But NOT the rears.

I would take post office weights at face-value only. If the entire package wasn't on the scale, and instead part of it on the desk (like I've had happen many times), it will read less.

I am also pretty sure they are swapable side to side.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I would take post office weights at face-value only. If the entire package wasn't on the scale, and instead part of it on the desk (like I've had happen many times), it will read less.

I am also pretty sure they are swapable side to side.

I put them on the scale myself :-( and I checked the p/n several times. They are different.

I put them on the scale myself :-( and I checked the p/n several times. They are different.

The part numbers are definitely different.

Do you still have the axle?

Looking at a parts catalog, it looks like the difference might be in the inner CV joint. There is an oiling passageway cut on the rear axle. I believe that passageway is directional, so that might be the reason for the differing part numbers.

The weight thing, I can't explain. The axles are made from the same material and are the same length.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived