LegacyGT.com

A New Legacy Sighting is like a myth

I am starting to see them all the time here in Pittsburgh. I saw 5 (3 turbos and 2 regular) in one commute from work. To me, it seems that a Legacy to most people is just transportatin and not an entuist's car like a BMW or an S4. I see tons of wrx's and most of them seemed to live the basic transportation life too. Funny side note: I was at the new car show and was talking to a couple that just bought a brand new pearl white LGT. their only complaint.. Not enough chome.....?

Andy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard of one other person in Charlotte who has a LGT (autoxdad)...but I still haven't seen the car. I've had my sedan for over 8 months, and I have driven all over central and eastern North Carolina and southeastern VA...still haven't seen a LGT. As others have said...plenty of Outbacks and Foresters, but no LGTs (sedans or wagons). I am surprised but not saddened...just means that the "word" isn't out on the steet, therefore we retain "sleeper" status!

JB

That way, you will see a lot at one gathering and show off our cars to the non-owners. Just an idea, what do you all think?

I had an idea that all the East Coast Legacy owners all drive to SOA at Cherry Hill NJ and just park at their parking lot and have a gathering. A full Saturday event. The problem is getting everyone to do something this big.

Keefe

Keefe

Hmmm....Good points all around. I live in downtown Chicago, and have seen 1 LGT in the past YEAR!. It was about 1.5-2 months ago, dark blue (as I recall) with spoiler, in the Wicker Park neighborhood (North Ave/Milwaukee, across from the pizza place Piece). I stared at it and examined it like it was from another planet, and a month later I went out and bought me one:D . I see TSX's and BMW's all over the place. Several every damn day. It get's old. I'm sooo happy with my LGT L...:)

They are still too new, though I'm slowly seeing more and more of the outbacks and legacy wagons around in MD. Sedans are still really rare on the highway, except maybe on the weekend.

Food for thought, when I bought my 97 Honda Prelude back in '99 even, I hardly ever saw a 5th generation Prelude on the road. Now that they have been around for a while, I see them everywhere. The Prelude even went out of production at the end of 2001.

Point is, a lot of folks have them, but a lot of folks (like I) do not drive their Legacy every day. The same went for the Preludes in the past. I had the daily driver, but everyone else had them in their garage. Its not till the original owner sells their car with some miles on it, that the Legacy becomes the true daily driving commuter/beater (if I must).

I wish I had the garage to house more than just my daily drivers. The LGT is mine and the Accord is my wife's. I just paid a boat load of money for this car and I don't usually spend that kind of money on something that is just going to sit in the garage 90% of the time. I'm not knocking people who do that, I'm just saying I wish I had the money and garage space it takes to do something like that. However, if I did have money coming out my ears then it would probably be a convertible that spent most of its time in the garage and the LGT would still be the daily driver. :D

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I wish I had the garage to house more than just my daily drivers. The LGT is mine and the Accord is my wife's. I just paid a boat load of money for this car and I don't usually spend that kind of money on something that is just going to sit in the garage 90% of the time. I'm not knocking people who do that, I'm just saying I wish I had the money and garage space it takes to do something like that. However, if I did have money coming out my ears then it would probably be a convertible that spent most of its time in the garage and the LGT would still be the daily driver. :D

my beater is old and cheap (which used Legacies will become some day many years from now).

If I drove the legacy only, the car would already have around 35K miles (in 6 months of ownership :eek: ). This is why I drive a beater.

Here's an idea, organize a road trip in your area! Get a buch of Legacy owners together, go on a road trip, caravan style. I am sure that will get a lot of attention. It's like those times when the bikers get together on a Saturday/Sunday morning and go for a cruise. I have seen Corvettes on the beltway here (DC/MD/VA)like that. They get a lot of attention. Makes folks take a look at a bunch of them together. In the Audi Club, they have a few of those and there are folks that just get together to plan a cruise on a weekend.

That way, you will see a lot at one gathering and show off our cars to the non-owners. Just an idea, what do you all think?

We'll be doing that in two more weeks. Should be quite the sight to see as we string out along the 15/215/10. About 35 LGTs (25 so far), OBXTs, FXTs and even a few older gen Legacys/2.5RS, etc.

Hope someone brings a video camera. We'll definitely get some great pics!

I've seen 2 other OBs (1 NA, 1XT). Waved to a guy in the 05 OB yesterday as I was passing him and he looked at me like I had two heads. Strange.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

my beater is old and cheap (which used Legacies will become some day many years from now).

If I drove the legacy only, the car would already have around 35K miles (in 6 months of ownership :eek: ). This is why I drive a beater.

That's a good reason for it. I know a lot of guys who drive a piece of junk in the winter so that their RWD muscle car can get a rest in the snow. No shame in that.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Why buy an AWD sedan for a garage queen? If i were going to buy a new car to keep in the garage, and drive on nice occaisions for fun, which is a perfectly legitimate thing to do, It would not be a sedan, and likely only RWD. Two words: Sports car. If it is going to be a special occaision car, to me, it had better be a truly special car, and doesn't necessarily need to compromise for practicality. That is what the daily driver is for.

An AWD sedan or wagon seems to me to be a daily trouper. Comfy, nice, competent, and all-season capable, and every-day practical. Something that I would want to get in every morning, and use, that can handle a variety of circumstances. Why compromise the car you drive every day, and get the most use out of to be a beater, unless you feel you must in order to afford the really special un-practical weekend car?

I figure the car I am gonna be putting a couple hundred thousand miles on had better be nice for all that time I am gonna be in it over the years. If you are gonna drive 35k miles in 6 monts, why deprive yourself with a beater, and a nice car sitting in the garage? Why have a sedan sitting there? If it is gonna sit there, it may as well be a sports car or something impractical, and even more fun.

The miata we have has been becoming a daily driver for the last couple of weeks, due to gasoline prices, and my truck (which was supposed to be the daily trouper) getting half the gas mileage of the car.

I love driving the miata, but I find that the driving experience is getting diluted by driving it every day, and having to keep the top up for security while it is parked in the lot at work, and the cramped driving position is getting old just to slog back and forth to work. I don't mind folding myself into that car to go for a drive and enjoy it. But in and out a bunch of times a day, and just slogging on the commute routes is getting a little old, because it is hard to enjoy that as much.

I am finding myself really wanting a Legacy GT right now, for a comfortable, quick commute, fun when I hit the pedal, and decent mileage when I don't (neither of which the truck provides) and the ability to hold more than the miata. The wife bought a pitchfork for her gardening yesterday, and she had to sit with it in the passenger side of the Miata, because it was 2 inches too long for the trunk. Not a problem with a Legacy.

The thing is, that the Miata would become the fun weekend car again, and I could throw away the old snow tires. (keep it covered for the winter, and not accrue the daily miles, regardless of the season.) and the Legacy would spice up the commute rain or shine, and allow me to actually take my extended family out to eat when they visit, rather than having to drive 2 cars.

The only thing stopping me from going to the subaru dealer tommorrow, is that the Miata and the Ranger are still both under financing, and on the homeward stretch. (18 months left) and the truck is still necessary for the wife's bigger gardening projects, moving furniture, and the like. We just hauled a hutch and a big 'ole garden tiller this last weekend. Not happening in a sedan.

The Miata's residual value is lower than the truck, and we love it too much to give it up. So we wait to either pay down the truck for maximum trade in value, or pay both cars off (hopefully early) and buy a Legacy from zero trade, and have 3 vehicles.

So I wait not-so-patiently. Hopefully the 06 legacys will have some nice new bits, since I'll be waiting at least that long. But when I get it, it will be earning it's keep, which is what I would buy it for.

If you count the outbacks as well I've seen quite a few of the new style cars. Hell, I see another Legacy wagon and an Outback wagon every day at work. And when I went to the airport last week another Legacy GT pulled into the off-site parking just a couple of minutes after me.

Other than my vehicle, I've only seen one other Legacy (Obsidian Black Pearl 2.5i Sedan) on the road here in Miami, FL. I do belive someone bought a Garnet Red Pearl 2.5GT from the dealership not to far from where I live, but i'm not entirely sure on that.

Not that I mind a little more exclusivness when i'm out on the road, of course this area is almost the complete opposite of the scale when it comes to exclusive vehicles. While I might see at least fifty Porsches, ten Ferraris, and a mishmash of Lamborgini/Maserati/Lotus/<insert $$$ brand name here> daily, i've probably seen twenty Subarus (not counting the teenagers w/ STis) on the road in the four years i've been living here.

Maybe its the lack of need for AWD in tropical weather climate? :confused:

At any rate, doesn't bother me a bit, with the number of heads this car turns (even compared to my Porsche), I just put on a big grin and keep on driving :D

-----

Domain

Anybody here from Maine?

I've had my LGT Wagon for over amonth and have seen only one other LGT - a sedan - since then!

It would be fun to get some Mainiacs with LGT's together for some fun.

David

In 4 months of owning the car, I've seen 3 others and they were parked. Regal Blue at Hollywood Video, Silver along a street I take to work, and a Silver parked at Traffic Court (where I work). It's funny how I vividly remember all instances.

Why buy an AWD sedan for a garage queen?

If you had a fully modified Skyline R-34 R-Tune, would you make it a garage queen? How about just a new Skyline R348? Sometimes with that kind of money, who cares about driving the super car all the time when you just buy another POS for the crappy days? :p

Keefe

Keefe

I've now seen a grand total of 3 (counting mine) LGT sedan's. Seen a few more OB wagons, those seem like the most prevalent Subarus out there in this area, though I still see WAY more TSX's that all 05 Legacys combined, those things are starting to be a dime a dozen around here. Only seen one Legacy wagon and one OB sedan, it looked pretty nice. This is just for the 05 body style, I've seen quite a few older gen legacys.

Since I started really looking, I have seen a total of four 05 sedans, and one of them is mine!

I see a few new OB wagons around here, this is snow country, but no sedans at all. The ones I saw were either in NYC or Princeton, NJ. I love the fact that there don't seem to be any about. The day I bought mine, I was in a gas station filling it up, and a young guy with a mild custom smaller SUV pulled up across from me, and was clearly ogling my car! Nice feeling.

I got my first LGT in 2002, because I was moving here and wanted AWD, but also because for the money it gave me the most creature comforts. I didn't really like the headlights, but other than that thought it was a handsome car. My 05 is all that and a bag of chips. It's notably quicker, even with the auto, and it's better looking all around. I've had it for two weeks today, and I've got 1500 miles on it already, which is a little more than I usually drive. Like somebody in another thread said, you find yourself making up extra reasons to go run errands!

If people in the Catskill area of upstate NY or the Princeton/Trenton area of South NJ are going to get together, I think that would be great! Take over some diner's parking lot, eat and trade stories. Sounds like a good day to me!

barnaby

Hmmm....Good points all around. I live in downtown Chicago, and have seen 1 LGT in the past YEAR!. It was about 1.5-2 months ago, dark blue (as I recall) with spoiler, in the Wicker Park neighborhood (North Ave/Milwaukee, across from the pizza place Piece). I stared at it and examined it like it was from another planet, and a month later I went out and bought me one:D . I see TSX's and BMW's all over the place. Several every damn day. It get's old. I'm sooo happy with my LGT L...:)

Is that why you are a regular at our Thursday meetings ?

Is that why you are a regular at our Thursday meetings ?

Hmm....what is "that"? I do not go to the thursday meets now because: 1) It would take me 30 mins to get there; 2) my busy work/life schedule just does not allow; and, 3) I am still at work at the time you guys meet. Hopefully some day I will be ablo to.

I've had it for two weeks today, and I've got 1500 miles on it already, which is a little more than I usually drive. Like somebody in another thread said, you find yourself making up extra reasons to go run errands!

barnaby

Wow, it took me almost 3 weeks to hit 1500 miles:lol:

Archived