LegacyGT.com

how bad weather our legacy can stand?

Just make sure that you have the right oil for the temperature range.

Oil info: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1664482#post1664482

Shouldn't be a problem if the car is in good shape, have a good battery and mercury isn't freezing solid.

Just check that you have correct level of anti-freeze in your cooling system and that the windshield washer fluid isn't pure water or you may need new washer pumps since ice will expand and crack them.

453747.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i was born and raised in Cocoa Beach, Florida. But recently we were transfered to Denver, Colorado a few weeks ago, where temperatures have been near or below freezing every night, including some below zero temps. Except for one night my wife left the reading light on in the car and ran the battery down, the cars been perfect. The only thing I did to my legacy before moving her to Colorado, was an oil change to add oil more suited to lower temperature and changing the windshield washer fluid to one designed for below freezing temperatures.

The next trip to the doctor my Subaru gets will be to have some cosmetic work done to add a skid plate and add a lift kit or mr outback coilovers to raise the stance a couple of inches.

ZOMG!!! A couple days below freezing!!! Quick switch to 0W-30 now!!

Some of us have months of winter where it barely gets above freezing for a couple/few days. My old '95 Legacy handled it just fine, as is my '05 LGT. Tranny shifts a little bit harder for the first couple minutes, but there's not much you can do about that. Just don't 'drive it like you stole it' until the car warms up.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Some of us up here in the Great White North have sub freezing temperatures for five months of the year, we all park our cars during this time and switch to the dog sled team.

As others have stated, cold weather climates and the import car do not work well together but with proper oil and plugging in they will run. About a month ago we had -52C with the wind chill (temp about -40C) and the Subaru was still chugging along.

Oh wait maybe its because it was a Spec B, I take everything I said back unless you have a Spec B do not under any circumstance expose your Subaru to sub freezing temperatures.

:lol:

On the serious side - the wind chill factor is not really applicable for cars, but when the temperature goes down under -45C you may probably not want to use the car anyway since there is a risk that the shock absorbers are frozen solid, and driving the car may then destroy them, or even the shock absorber mounts. A completely unnecessary cost to carry.

453747.png

Pretty amazing how cold it can get up there ! And to think that -40c (which by the way happens to equal -40f ) is not cold enough to stop a spec B !......that's 70 degrees LESS heat / colder then the OP is dealing with! (This is all in fun guys) :)
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Don't flame the guy, he's just uninformed.

To the OP, what makes you think you're car will have a tough time with what's otherwise considered moderate temperatures compared to alot of the country right now?

coz it's using 0-XX eng oil? and because the pistons punch horizontally, so oil may not evenly spread on it's ring especially when cold start?

I've been running mine in the subzero F temps without any issue for some weeks now with the occasional heat wave of about 10-20 degrees F. I let it warm for about 15-20 min before driving. Your car will be just fine. Let her warm for a few minutes.

i do warm it up ( wait until the blue light off before really driving it) ,

beside (may off this top), everytime i start it, the speakers has buzzing sound from very soft to extremely loud (after ignite the eng and stay for 5~6sec). i didn't have this problem until it's went down to 40+F and below. ( my amp 's +12v goes to battery's +, REM goes to the stock ign, and GND goes to the same spot as for stock amp's grounding.)

thanks

mark

If you are really concerned, have an engine block heater installed. I believe mine cost about $100 installed Is it needed? NO! Will other pick on you for installing and using a block heater in 30 degree weather? YES! HOWEVER, if it gives YOU piece of mind, it is worth every penny.

It will keep the coolant warm and in turn keep the oil warm by radiation. When I use mine in below zero weather, it warms the engine up to about 80 degrees.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for posting this response, but it is a legitimate answer to the OPs question and a solution to solve their problem.

With all this talk of global warming I imagine that cold weather in Houston will not be a concern :lol:

I have installed the Subaru block heater in a Legacy (although not in mine) and it is a very simple job. Using one in Houston is a little nuts, but to each his own.

I've been running mine in the subzero F temps without any issue for some weeks now with the occasional heat wave of about 10-20 degrees F. I let it warm for about 15-20 min before driving. Your car will be just fine. Let her warm for a few minutes.

The way is to begin the morning by starting the car, then start to scrape the ice from the windows. That means that the engine will warm up enough to won't be troubled by being driven.

If you start with scraping your windows and then start the car you are doing it the wrong way because if the car won't start you have wasted your time by scraping the windows.

453747.png

10w30 in the dead of nebraska winters, started her up plenty times in negative temps, oil analysis shown all engine wear metals were actually under average.

Fuel dillution will hammer your engine more than cold starting, so don't warm idle the car. Boxer motors are especially prone to fuel dillution from what I have been told.

Start her up, let her idle 30 seconds to 1 minute, then drive away and keep the revs under 3K or so until the engine is warmed up.

The end

Archived