LegacyGT.com

05/06 Clutch vs 07/08/09 Clutch

CapnJack

I've been reading alot on clutches and throwout bearings recently and have seen that the 05/06 models seem to have problems with clutch/throwout bearings failing prematurly (<60,000 miles). I have not seen a lot on the 07/08/09 models. Are the clutches/TOBs stronger these years or are people still experiencing problems.

05/06 uses a DMFW, while the 07+ uses a SMFW... therefore the clutches are different as well. I don't know if one is better than the other...

The TOB is the same, since many 05/06 people (including myself) use the 07+ SMFW (and upgraded clutch, such as an ACT) as an upgrade... but you can use the stock 07 TOB if you wanted to do so.

The post here about the TSK helps explain why the TOB on these is so prone to problems, as well as suggesting why you should consider the TSK over the stock setup: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2741442&postcount=53

Unfortunately, I read that post AFTER I had my clutch installed (with the stock-style TOB)... otherwise, that post would have convinced me to use the TSK. Best explanation of the problem ever!

Remember that the vast majority of 2007 models have not yet hit 50k miles, let alone 60-80k when the majority of 2005-2006 models seem to experience clutch failure more commonly.

There's probably another year (end of 2010) before the VF46 used in the 07+, and the clutch used in the 07+, can start being reliably assessed for whether or not they had any improvements in durability.

Joe

^^^

What Joe said.

Most newer LGTs on the road :gasp: have less miles on them than us old school 2005 guys. Go figure.;)

Many of us here have been modded for years too, putting further stress on the Piece of crap dual mass flywheel and clutch of the 2005 version.

My stock clutch gave up at 40k miles. too soon, but that was a clutch that was running against stage 2 for half the time.

Archived