LegacyGT.com

Which Brake Pads to go with....

Driver72

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone have an opinion regarding the Cobb pads?

Cobb pads I believe are based off the Stoptech BBK kit.. so I guess you can ask Cobb if they are Hawk, Pagid, Ferodo, Performance Friction or leftover Axxis pads (my guess that it's either Hawk or Pagid).

Keefe

Keefe

any recommended place for SS-S or SS-M? Want to know how thye perform in low temp too.

Thanks

http://www.racecompengineering.com is the authorized dealer for Endless/Zeal products.

I have been driving the SS-M the past 2 weeks at 40F to 70F outside temp (along with some cold rain).. the first 100' of driving I would get a low grunty/grinding sound as the car comes to a stop (this is probably because I am not running any anti-squeal shims as well). After that first stop, the grunt is gone (just like cracking your back in the morning). Once you get them on the road and do some light braking (like a longer and harder brake hold going into a 90 degree turn through some side streets), the brakes are ready for full use. It doesnt take long to warm them up to working temperature. Remember, if the brake is warm to the touch of your finger, it's already at 80F to 90F.

Keefe

Keefe

Carbotech Bobcats replaces the old Axxis Ultimate pads.. same company makes/sources them.

Keefe

Keefe,

I don't think this is correct. I just switched between Axxis Ultimates and Bobcats on a car, and the feel, price, and look, are very different. Plus, the Bobcats are extremely low dust, whereas the Ultimates were high dust...

Ted

Oh yeah, I like the Bobcats better

:spin:

What I meant was that the Axxis Ultimates are no longer made, as the Bobcats are the better pad that are taking in place of the discontinued Ultimates. Yes, it is a better pad. Any Axxis Ultimates that are sold now are leftovers.

Keefe

Keefe

Mark me down as loving my Bobcats too. Though my dust is definitely black, not red - perhaps people are talking about another one of the Carbotech formulations? You can only hear them at the very end of a stop if you have the radio off and listen real carefully.

Also, after installing my Goodridge lines and Motul fluid, it dawned on my mechanic just how mushy the pedal feel of the stock brakes was.

And a tip for other track newbies, after I found out the hard way - never use your parking brake after a run. It'll leave an imprint on the rotors faster than you can say "resurface me!"

And a tip for other track newbies, after I found out the hard way - never use your parking brake after a run. It'll leave an imprint on the rotors faster than you can say "resurface me!"

Umm, this really isn't possible. According to the service manual, the Legacy uses a drum-in-rotor parking brake. There are 2 shoes that contact the inner surface of the rotor for the parking brake operation. Which means that your pad outline probably came from a full stop when you held the brakes too long and baked some pad in..

• 6 months later...
Mark me down as loving my Bobcats too. Though my dust is definitely black, not red - perhaps people are talking about another one of the Carbotech formulations? You can only hear them at the very end of a stop if you have the radio off and listen real carefully.

Also, after installing my Goodridge lines and Motul fluid, it dawned on my mechanic just how mushy the pedal feel of the stock brakes was.

If possible, use Panther Plus or the XP compounds on track. Bobcats are not designed for the track and WILL glaze!

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

As for the brake dust sitting on the wheels too long, yea, the brake dust will eventually eat up the clearcoat on the wheels.

Keefe

Old thread.. but just to clarify, the Bobcats DO NOT have corrosive dust.

Also, now that we sell Motul RBF600 @ $12.50 / bottle... this may be a better option than the ATE Blue. Motul has better specifications and wont stain your entire system dark blue!

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

• 1 year later...

I was looking at this thread because I was trying to get info on pads. Unlike everyone here, my 2002 Legacy GT Wagon brakes were excellent in terms of stopping power. The rotors however warp easily and are crap but they do stop the car. I am a firm believer in OEM parts but the rotors were so terrible on my car that I decided to buy Brembo rotors from tire rack. Just plain, replacement Brembos and they seem fine. The problem I am having is that I made the mistake of buying Bendix MKD721 OE replacement pads. These are terrible pads...crap, stay away from them. I have contacted Bendix by email but all I got was an automated response. I have had the pads on two weeks and have bedded them like every other pad in my long life but these have no cold bite whatsoever. It's scary after driving on the freeway and getting off an off-ramp and almost nothing. After the first stop, they warm up and work almost as well as OEM but if you are not careful, they can bite you. They remind me a bit of the old Repco Metalmasters which I believe are now PBR except that the Metalmasters were awesome once warmed up. The Bendix OE pads have all the drawbacks of race pads without any of the performance. I am going to take them off after two weeks and just eat the $55 I spent on them plus the labor I paid the mechanic to put them on because I was too busy the week the OEM pads wore out again. Anyway, I hope that helps someone out.

IB

• 2 weeks later...

A little off topic, but what's a minimum thickness for front & rear pads? 01 Legacy GT has about 60k miles and isused for mix of city / highway. Cirrently has about 3 mm front & 4 mm rear.

I'm considering Hawk Performance Ceramic for this daily family car.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Bob

A little off topic, but what's a minimum thickness for front & rear pads? 01 Legacy GT has about 60k miles and isused for mix of city / highway. Cirrently has about 3 mm front & 4 mm rear.

I'm considering Hawk Performance Ceramic for this daily family car.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Bob

time to change them.. 3mm is low enough as it is. You dont want to go anything lower than 2mm, that only has enough for 2,000 miles left if that. The worst part is when you do run that low, you won't have enough brake fluid in the master cylinder to push the pads onto the rotor (unless you put more in, but that's a bad idea for a fix or cure for the problem).

There's also Endless SS-M pads as well for the ultimate daily driver pad. Dust-free, extremely low or no noise at all, higher coeff. of friction than stock and can handle up to 900F, probably about 300F higher stock pads and extremely friendly on rotors and has a good pad life with good pedal feedback. The only draw back is the price for these pads.

Keefe

Thanks for the info. I have a 94 Benz and brake dust is terriable.

One more question. Because i'm not fond of depending only on the jack, where's a good place for the jack stands for the rear? Or can I jack at the differential and place jack stands at side jacking point?

Bob

Car has factory "side skirts" under doors.

I installed Hawk pads today. What an easy job. However, once into it, I reaized I didn't have the torque spec for the slider bolt into the caliper, nor for my 16" aluminum wheels.

I noticed the front pistons were very rusty with rough edge contact to pad. Is this normal. Rears very smooth.

What's a good sourcee for thebasic maintenance torque specs? I won't be doing any engine, tranny rebuilds. Just the basic maintenance.

Thanks

Bob

Hmm, nobody in this thread talks about 2007 brake pad requirements. Everyone (dealers) tells me that the pads changed in this year. Anyone know of a company that is shipping a performance pad that will fit the 2007? Specifically looking to get through track days (and the race this weekend if at all possible).

R

Archived