LegacyGT.com

Which Brake Pads to go with....

Driver72

Hmm, nobody in this thread talks about 2007 brake pad requirements. Everyone (dealers) tells me that the pads changed in this year. Anyone know of a company that is shipping a performance pad that will fit the 2007? Specifically looking to get through track days (and the race this weekend if at all possible).

R

I just installed Hawk HPS on my '08 LGT Sedan with no fitment issues.

I'm not recommending these for track use, just saying that the pads are the same as 05+.

I think the problem is that dealer/manufacturer application guides have not been updated, I have to select 2005 or 2006 model year to get a listing for parts.

So far everything has fit my 08. Pads, rotors, brakelines, springs, struts, swaybars...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
Just read what appear to be all the brake pad threads and nothing has leapt off the page. I am looking for pads for an 05 Legacy GT. I'll change the pads myself, might be the simplest I have ever done on a car according to the instructions from xenonk. The car is primarily my wife's car. I have a full race car (88 BMW M3) and a daily beater Honda. While I do own a membership to a race track, this car was on it once and probably never again. The dreaded brake shudder was prevalent both before, during, and after. I've had the rotors turned by the stealer.... not much improvement. I am going to try swapping the wheels and tires around. At any rate.. I basically need a street pad. The Endless pads are too pricey. I was hoping for something similar to a Performance Friction " Z-rated" type pad... All that Autozone carries is Duralast pads in several unappetizing flavors. I have used the HP + a long time ago on the BMW and may go with the HPS.

Just read what appear to be all the brake pad threads and nothing has leapt off the page. I am looking for pads for an 05 Legacy GT. I'll change the pads myself, might be the simplest I have ever done on a car according to the instructions from xenonk. The car is primarily my wife's car. I have a full race car (88 BMW M3) and a daily beater Honda. While I do own a membership to a race track, this car was on it once and probably never again. The dreaded brake shudder was prevalent both before, during, and after. I've had the rotors turned by the stealer.... not much improvement. I am going to try swapping the wheels and tires around. At any rate.. I basically need a street pad. The Endless pads are too pricey. I was hoping for something similar to a Performance Friction " Z-rated" type pad... All that Autozone carries is Duralast pads in several unappetizing flavors. I have used the HP + a long time ago on the BMW and may go with the HPS.

Hey M3 Adjuster! What series you race in? I do some BMWCCA / NASA events.

Anyhow, the Hawk HPS would be similar to the PFC Zs. Duralast Id prolly avoid unless you want the pedal feel to be even less. Another good option for a "wife's car" are the Wagner Thermoquiet pads. Should be around $50. If you want something more aggressive than Hawk HPS, there are the Carbotech Bobcats.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Hey Magnetic.. thanks for the ideas... Looks like Wagner is a part of Federal Mogul, and they own Ferodo! I use the Ferodo 3000s on the track. The 2500s are probably a little overkill for the Legacy also.. :lol:

I run with BMW CCA currently.. car was prepped for JP but is now "D-mod Lite " after a motor rebuild... NASA is an up and coming series here in TX and is starting to gain some attention from the BMW CCA and PCA racers. This is a large state but not a ton of events (essentially only 3 events in TX for BMW CCA or PCA racers) so NASA seems to be a good place to get more events in.

Hey Magnetic.. thanks for the ideas... Looks like Wagner is a part of Federal Mogul, and they own Ferodo! I use the Ferodo 3000s on the track. The 2500s are probably a little overkill for the Legacy also.. :lol:

I run with BMW CCA currently.. car was prepped for JP but is now "D-mod Lite " after a motor rebuild... NASA is an up and coming series here in TX and is starting to gain some attention from the BMW CCA and PCA racers. This is a large state but not a ton of events (essentially only 3 events in TX for BMW CCA or PCA racers) so NASA seems to be a good place to get more events in.

Cool. Maybe I can make my wat down to TX one of these days. Will be at Roebling Rd this weekend w/ BMWCCA.

Ive only used Ferodo once and didnt like them too much. I now use a mix of PFC01s and Carbotech XP16 on track. Although PFC did raise prices recently making them a good bit more. :mad:

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Glad to hear Roebling is happening... I got some emails indicating that turnout was low. I've heard that's a fantastic event.

It does not seem like a lot of people like the Ferodos. *shrug*. I think that it may be because they do not have a big attack with the initial bite. That is of course what most Hawk people like, and Hawk brake pad fans don't normally move to far from the apple tree afterwards. The Ferodos have a great release when coming off the brakes, which is probably what I like most. I also seem to get good wear from them.

I will likely be at Road Atlanta this year for O'fest.. was at WGI last year instructing. I checked out your site for the pads and you seem to have the best price around for the HPS. If the small box shops here are no help then I'll likely be placing an order! :)

Glad to hear Roebling is happening... I got some emails indicating that turnout was low. I've heard that's a fantastic event.

It does not seem like a lot of people like the Ferodos. *shrug*. I think that it may be because they do not have a big attack with the initial bite. That is of course what most Hawk people like, and Hawk brake pad fans don't normally move to far from the apple tree afterwards. The Ferodos have a great release when coming off the brakes, which is probably what I like most. I also seem to get good wear from them.

I will likely be at Road Atlanta this year for O'fest.. was at WGI last year instructing. I checked out your site for the pads and you seem to have the best price around for the HPS. If the small box shops here are no help then I'll likely be placing an order! :)

Awesome. Hawk prices went up (in September)... I only have a limited amount left before I need to raise pricing to current going rate.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

I like the Hawk HPS pads. I replaced my OEM pads with those recently. The initial bite is much better with the HPS pads. I'm getting some very quiet high pitched squeaking (not really a squeal. just squeak) on some braking conditions, but the rotors and pads BOTH have less than 1000 miles on them right now I believe.... I'm hoping it goes away with use. I can see some very light machining marks on my rotors, so I know they haven't completely been broken in yet.

Regardless, the feel of the pedal is much improved and also, the minor noise coming from the brakes doesn't bother me at all.

Archived