LegacyGT.com

Bill Kolb Jr Subaru

Theride

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the crappy dealership experiences its amazing Subaru sells as many cars as it does, lol.

LOL Thats why I really dont care where I buy a car.

Once im treated ok im good.

Bill Kolb must be doing good/ok business to be around for so long

Stephan Soto, Service Manager Ramsey Subaru.

Worthless, no good, two faced, fatass piece of sh*t. Wish I had the opportunity to "service" his car.

Well, thats the guy.

Maybe I've just been lucky with him? :eek:

Maybe I'll just keep driving the 90 miles to fred beans :spin:

I got my car at Lynnes in NJ, the people were really nice. They did my out of state reg for me and over nighted me the paper work once they got it. They also made a mistake in the cost of plate transfer in NYS and send me a check for the 20 dollar difference. I honestly would not have known if they kept it.

I went to Ramsey and the guy was a complete tool. They had a used 08 Spec B with 7k miles and would not go under 26k when people were buying new spec b's for 27-28. They also had a 08 STI with 8k miles and wanted 33k. The car needed a new rear bumper, had dents on driver rear 1/4 panel and had scratches they covered up with a sticker till they could fix it. He also looked at me like some kid, now I'm 26 and not some kid. So I walked out and never looked back.

With all the crappy dealership experiences its amazing Subaru sells as many cars as it does, lol.

The great thing about these forums is that you can sort out the good dealers from the crappy ones. I still don't understand why: 1) the manufacturers don't put more pressure on the dealers to perform better, and 2) why the dealers themselves don't get their acts together, since they know the reviews will appear here and elsewhere.

If it's any consolation, Porsche dealers are just as bad . . . maybe worse. Plus, you may have to pay 2x-3x of the price of a Subaru to buy one of their cars and an oil change is 11x as much (for the same crappy service).

It really does amaze me how Subaru of North America handles the idiot dealers.... i've complained about bill kolb to them and i got the "try another dealer".... That tells me that Subaru of North America in general are not very professional as it is. I work at Toyota and i'm sorry, if a customer complained about our dealer to Toyota about poor service to them, guess what! We would get a phone call, a visit and more. Reps come down atleast once a month to check how the dealer is running as a whole and the condition it is in and we get verbally destroyed if our satisfaction #'s are below perfect. Subaru is another story. This is my first subie and i will always buy a subie from now on because i just love how they drive but as far as the company and the dealer is concerned... they can go play in traffic with their loved ones

• 2 weeks later...
Oh man...I'm reading this thread and it's making me a bit worried that I bought my Legacy from Bill Kolb. But the salesperson was great and everyone was nice there. The service dept has been good so far but I've only been there for oil changes and what not. I did ask them about my loud start up and they said it was fine, which makes me worried now. I did check the Subaru dealer in Ramsey, they were complete pricks.

Stay away from Kolb at all costs they're nothing but a bunch of rip off artists with a terrible reputation. Check with teh BBB they're way less than reputable
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Yeah I'm reading all the posts now and I'm just at a loss for words...well if anyone knows why my engine sounds loud at start up that'd be great...b/c BK said it was normal lol

Ya they'll say anything is ok. They tried to not repair my buddy's car just long enough for the warranty to run out. He ended up getting SOA involved & beat em but they sure did try their best.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Not sure what's up with the Bill Kolb Jr vibe. :confused:

I bought my Spec B there. Low mileage, great price. Everything was as stated with the car and my sales person was a joy. After a few weeks (months maybe) I realized a space under my dash was supposed to be covered. (I had nothing to compare it to. I initially thought it was supposed to be open.) I mentioned this omission in an email and my salesperson mailed me the the cover. No questions. He also mailed me the manuals for the Nav when I mentioned they were not with the rest of the manuals.

My mom was looking to replace her totaled Forester with another one. I told my same salesperson and he did a great job finding exactly what she was looking for.

Sorry for everyone's trouble with them. Honestly it was one of the best experiences I had with a dealer. I usually avoid them at all costs.

I too bought my Spec B and an '07 Impreza from Bill Kolb. The Spec B was a low mileage used car. They have fixed anything I ever brought it in for, including the stutter early on. Be careful when dealing with them during the buy. They will try to sell you a lot of stuff. Don't buy any of it. You can get better prices elsewhere. All said, I haven't had the problems with them that others havew spoken about.

Yeah they're great just look

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21408&highlight=kolb

& there's always this classic gem

Department of Law

120 Broadway

New York, NY 10271

Department of Law

The State Capitol

Albany, NY 12224

For More Information:

(518) 473-5525 For Immediate Release

January 14, 2002

AUTO DEALER CITED FOR SELLING "EDDIE BAUER" LOOK-A-LIKES

Spitzer Settles Case Involves False Advertising and Deceptive Claims

Attorney General Eliot Spitzer today announced that a Rockland County auto dealer will pay restitution and civil penalties to settle allegations that it deceived consumers into thinking they were purchasing top-of-the-line sports utility vehicles. The settlement also covers allegations of false advertising by the dealership.

Bill Kolb Jr. Ford falsely advertised and sold "EB2000" model Ford Expeditions that copied the outwardly distinctive characteristics of the "Eddie Bauer" version without providing many other features which make the model desirable.

"My office is aggressively combating the many unscrupulous business tactics of auto dealers throughout the state," Spitzer said. "Dubious practices such as those discovered in this case continue to blemish the reputation of auto dealers everywhere."

The Eddie Bauer model is generally considered to be the "top-of-the-line" version of the Ford Expedition, with many standard features that are expensive options on the XL and XLT models. These include: a larger engine, leather interior, fog lamps, a captain's chair, tan trim on the doors and fenders, a higher quality sound system, illuminated running boards, and the Eddie Bauer logo affixed to the seats, fender, and tailgate.

Since 1999, Bill Kolb Jr. Ford has been advertising and selling Ford Expeditions under the name "EB 2000." These vehicles had certain dealer add-ons, such a tan striping scheme, tan wheel fender flares and an EB2000 logo, which mimicked the actual Eddie Bauer model manufactured by Ford. However, these vehicles were not authentic Eddie Bauer models and lacked many features of the authentic version.

In settling the case, Bill Kolb Jr. Ford agreed to cease marketing and selling "EB2000" or "EB2001" Expeditions.

Spitzer's office also forced Kolb to discontinue other objectionable advertising practices including:

Promising a "30 Day Money Back Guarantee" which was contradicted in fine print by restrictions on the mileage of the vehicle and the fact that the guarantee would only be given as a credit toward the purchase of another vehicle;

Advertising specific "deep discount" prices in large, bold print without adequately disclosing that an additional $5,000 down payment is required;

Comparing sale prices of used cars to the original manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the vehicles when they were new; and

Advertising used vehicles for sale at specific prices in a manner that left consumers unable to identify the specific vehicles that were the subject of the advertised offer.

Bill Kolb Jr. Ford also will pay restitution to consumers who were duped into buying EB2000 Expeditions and will pay $10,000 to the state in civil penalties and costs.

Individuals with complaints about auto dealers are encouraged to contact the Attorney General's consumer help line at (800) 771-7755.

This case was handled by Assistant Attorney General Doris K. Morin of the Westchester Regional Office under the supervision of Assistant Attorney General In Charge Gary Brown.

& that's why there's no longer a bill kolb ford also

If you can make the trip upstate to buy, Van Bortel is incredible.

Below invoice "no haggle" pricing as well. Beat all the other Rochester Subaru dealers and even my wife's 2% under invoice pricing through GSA!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Wow. . . I can't get over all the bad experiences with Bill Kolb Subaru. Long story short, totaled my 09 2.5i just under 2 weeks ago and I'm in the market for an 09 LGT. Found a limited at Kolb with 14k miles for just under 21k. I live over 2hrs away so I never plan to have service done here (which is where alot of the complaints I've read come from). Supposedly the car has gone through the subaru inspection process and passed. If the cars in great shape and the CARFAX looks good should I still steer clear of these guys?

I've bought 2 cars from them. Just make sure you get it all on paper. Tell them you want the clicker in advance or no deal (used cars only) and the most recent NAV disk (if there is NAV). Buy no options from them, especially when you sit down in the finance room. I personally didn't have service problems with them. If you want an extended warranty, there are much cheaper places to buy it.

I've never bought a car from Kolb, but started the pricing game with them and they didn't even want to respond to emails or give me a fair price when I spoke to them. I have a few family friends that didn't have a great experience with them in terms of service when they brought in their forrester.

I went to Liberty Subaru in Emerson, NJ. Their salesman, Clayton, was great. Their selection wasn't half bad either (but I ended up ordering my car).

+1 for Clayton and Liberty, but ktm200 is looking for a preowned. Kolb has a great selection of preowned. Make sure you read the carfax history. Also, Kolb doesn't offer the Certified Preowned and the warranties that come with them— a negative, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm 3000 miles away from Kolb and it is not far enough. F*** that place and f*** everyone who works there.

F*** the Ramsey service department too. My dash is still f***ed up from them searching for the A/C condensation leak.

Tell em why you mad son!

You can't beat Kolb's pricing on used. They buy TONS of cars at auction. Just remember..they don't have a clue about the cars history and don't care....YOU have to do the due dilligence in trade for the lower price. I paid $16,500 for an 11 month old '09 legacy 2.5i with 10k on it. Long island dealers wanted 18,000 for 20k + mile cars. Keep in mind most car dealers are scammers...it's just the way it is. North Coast on the other hand is rare...service manager has been there for 30 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Hopeful future Subaru Legacy owner here. The lease to my car (toyota corolla) ends in May so Ive already started thinking about my next car which Ive decided on it being a Legacy. Ive been reading the forum for weeks but finally decided on posting. Now the reason Im posting in this thread is because I saw on add on Kolb's Subaru website on a 2011 Legacy "Elite" lease for $179 a month. Now besides the fact that I know that them calling it "Elite" is bogus since there is no such thing the deal to me seems kind of hard to beat considering they add leather and an aftermarket navi unit to the car. Even going to the regular Subaru website has the base model Legacy @ $199 a month and it doesnt include navi or leather.

Now considering that I'm in the market for a new car lease and not purchasing a used one is Bill Kolb still a bad idea and should I just pay extra and go to either Liberty Subaru or Wayne subaru which people seem to love?

2011 Legacy "Elite" isn't a legit Subaru model. Kolb is taking a 2.5i Legacy with a manual trans and the premium package that includes sunroof and heated seats, then removing the cloth seats at Kolb and putting custom made leather or fake leather covers made for Kolb, they also put aftermarket rims and aftermarket Pioneer touch screen navi in the cars. Now alot of forum members do this minus the seat covers. But they are passing off a modded car as new. I would imagine that the 179 may or may not include the leather navi and custom rims for the 179 lease price. The 179 price could also include a larger up front payment. Either way it looks like cool upgrades to a base legacy with out paying the cost of a limited, but who knows how this will affect the value in the long run. Its not like their made up "Elite" trim is worth more money to anyone but Kolb

ive been there recently, and i gotta say, the ELITE versions are WACK. I test drove a 09 2.5i with 18k miles and the rear headrest leather was torn, also the passanger seat leather was torn, I inspected the leather in the tears and it was very very thin. Plus, the badge they put on the back of the car saying "elite" is quite ugly. Also, the perticular car i test drove has some ciggaret ash around the trim of the cup holder. I said "previous owner smoked in this car, that should lower the price a bit eh?" and the sales man said "no no, no one smoked in this car because it doesn't have an ash tray.." I almost burst laughing, since smokers usually ash out the window......

Archived