LegacyGT.com

food in dc

vkchu

any places worth mentioning? the hotel im staying at is in the embassy row area, right by dupont circle, so somewhere within walking distance, or a quick cab ride would be just fine. wondering if theres a 'must' eat at place while in dc, something thats not really available outside of the dc area is what im looking to try.

thanks!

If you want the best Italian in town, go to Luigi's on 19th in between L and M Streets. It is easily one of my favorite restaurants in DC and I have been going there for about 10 years.

Check out Matchbox in Chinatown (on H street in between 7th and 8th Streets) - it is a cool upscale pizza joint with many other great menu items and a good selection of beers, Belgian Ales, and wine.

If you want the best Italian in town, go to Luigi's on 19th in between L and M Streets. It is easily one of my favorite restaurants in DC and I have been going there for about 10 years.

Check out Matchbox in Chinatown (on H street in between 7th and 8th Streets) - it is a cool upscale pizza joint with many other great menu items and a good selection of beers, Belgian Ales, and wine.

ive been to pizza paradiso near dupont circle, which was pretty good considering im from ny.

ill see if i can get to luigi's.

i was hoping that dc had some foods that arent really available elsewhere, or that they are well known for making (eg: nyc: pizza, steak, etc), but it seems there isnt much along those lines.

thx for all the suggestions.

I live nearby, near Logan Circle, and there are tons of options near you. And I eat out way too much, so I'll take a shot at this...

Do not go to Adams Morgan for food. It's a good dirty bar scene for like 18-25 yr olds, but otherwise noooo.

Chinatown is good if you want to travel a short ways. I think someone mentioned Matchbox. Go there and get their sliders and a pizza and you'll be happy. Plenty of other good places near there as well and it's all pedestrian friendly.

The best Italian in town is either Filomena in Georgetown, or LaPerla on Penn Ave just over the bridge from G'town. Luigi's is also good inexpensive italian that you can walk to from your hotel, but it's more of a late night place since it has later hours. The first two are more pricey.

Fogo is always nice for stuffing yourself with meat, but it also isn't specific to DC.

Ben's Chili Bowl is a MUST. Both U Street and 14th Street have some decent options, just steer clear of the small plate jap-mexi-eskimo fusion trend places that are popping up as they mostly suck and are overly crowded.

Are you trying to stay in the neighborhood? Can you narrow down what you're looking for? Food/atmosphere/price/etc.

Or, just go here http://www.yelp.com/dc

I live nearby, near Logan Circle, and there are tons of options near you. And I eat out way too much, so I'll take a shot at this...

Do not go to Adams Morgan for food. It's a good dirty bar scene for like 18-25 yr olds, but otherwise noooo.

Chinatown is good if you want to travel a short ways. I think someone mentioned Matchbox. Go there and get their sliders and a pizza and you'll be happy. Plenty of other good places near there as well and it's all pedestrian friendly.

The best Italian in town is either Filomena in Georgetown, or LaPerla on Penn Ave just over the bridge from G'town. Luigi's is also good inexpensive italian that you can walk to from your hotel, but it's more of a late night place since it has later hours. The first two are more pricey.

Fogo is always nice for stuffing yourself with meat, but it also isn't specific to DC.

Ben's Chili Bowl is a MUST. Both U Street and 14th Street have some decent options, just steer clear of the small plate jap-mexi-eskimo fusion trend places that are popping up as they mostly suck and are overly crowded.

Are you trying to stay in the neighborhood? Can you narrow down what you're looking for? Food/atmosphere/price/etc.

Or, just go here http://www.yelp.com/dc

nah, we can travel a bit. cabs are pretty easy to come by.

went to sequoia in gtown, but i thought it was pretty average. it may have been better back in the day, but nothing standout. nice view.

tried the bombay club and that was good, or i may have taste in indian food. we managed to spot mukesh ambani there, so i guess if 'native' people dine there, its decent fare.

i hear theres a smith & wollenskys nearby, but i can get that in nyc too.

will check out the italian places you mentioned. client has put our cap at ~$70 per head for dinner so we're willing to try some of the 'pricier' (but not 'pricey' places. :]

id like to get to a decent french, indian and japanese place, to be specific.

What, no sense of adventure? Or has Adams Morgan changed since the early 90s? It used to be a very mixed area, very international. Good bars, small interesting international restaurants, and crack houses (probably meth labs now). But the real hole in the wall restaurants were authentic and usually had good food with a festival of variety in cuisine choice.

Of course, if you're a G'Town boy, you're probably used to hoitey-toitey restaurants. I went to UConn. :lol:

Yeah, I have been to Sequoia several times and my only conclusion is that people go there for the view. The food is not bad, but it is way overpriced and the quality does not match their high prices. Also, the wait staff can be a little stuffy and abnoxious - I remembered hearing about a friend going there without a reservation and the restaraunt was nearly empty but the host/hostess gave them a hard time about not having a table reserved and almost didn't seat them.

Another great place on U street is Utopia - kind of an upscale comfort food restaurant (DC is known for these) and a great Martini menu. They are over at 14th and U.

If you want a quick meal in Dupont, there is a great Greek place on Connecticut, just north of the circle, called Zorbas. Great spot for lunch or an inexpensive dinner.

Another great place is Zengo in Chinatown, right at the intersection of 7th and H. It is one of those fusion restaraunts, mixing Japanese food with Latin American cuisine and really is excellent. I live a few blocks away and always take friends here when they are visiting from out of town.

Archived