LegacyGT.com

The beast is ready for winter!

I've been slowly prepping my subi for NH winter as it gets colder, and I'm bored so I thought I'd share.

This is what I bought it as...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2485/4149115368_dd00129aef_o.jpg

And now finally a winter-ready beater:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2778/4148351681_2d9d9474de_o.jpg

Please excuse the atrocious iPhone low-light photography... was not about to take out the real camera.

What it took:

-Yakima rack I found in my basement

-Homemade wind deflector that I made out of aluminum flashing, rectangular aluminum rod, and some thin rubber tubing

-A new set of General Altimax Arctic Snow/Ice tires (185/70R14)

-Random stickers from around the house

For the price, I think it looks massively better than before! Actually has some rally attitude now... speaking of, does anyone know of some good SCCA winter rallies that i could do up here in NH? I'm itching to bomb around in it when the snow arrives.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn it, now I want a roof rack!

I think a nice rattlecan black paint job would make it look pretty awesome. I've actually seen some very impressive rattlecan paint jobs as long as you take the time to properly prep the car.

for anyone that needs winter tire recommendations cause i can already see it comming i got these last winter and holy cow. on ice, not a patch but a parking lot skating rink, it still griped like crazy. their hankook winter ipike. and they have the holes drilled in them for studs if you like in colorado or utah

http://www.1010tires.com/images/tires/Hankook/hankook_409_lg.jpg

i'm taking a risk and going w/o the snows for the winter because i don't have too much cash now. too much has gone into the legacy :O

you think that's a bad idea to forgo them? i've got some cooper cs4 all-seasons on now with plenty of tread, but i've got some crazy ski hikes that i need to depend on traction to get to haha

i've got the auto unfortunately :(

but yeah i'm expecting snow, icy snow, freezing rain, slush, sand, salt, gravel, ice, pavement, and whatever surface winter will throw at me. i've got a set of studded snows for our 95 jeep, but there's a coolant leak and the poor thing keeps overheating, and the tires don't fit the subaru wells haha. the big question: if i go with the snows, should they be studded or studless?

I go to school up in NH. We get some pretty serious weather, which is the reason I got the subi in the first place (RWD with 245s in the back is no way to go through snow, ask me how I know!). I went through a winter up here back when I had my Audi a6 quattro avant with some brand new continental conti-extreme contact all seasons and I made SUVs look like sissies; it was a monster. Now, that was also a 4500 lb car, so it defintely sunk its treads in more than these subis could, but I think the assumption can carry over still. I think as long as your all seasons are good and you've got AWD you should be ok. You could also throw a 70 lb bag of tube sand like they have at True Value hardware stores if you need a little more weight.

And yeah, I actually have a set of eBay foglights I picked up on eBay for like 10 bucks. They're kind of small though, I'll find the picture of the test fit I did when I got them. Mudflaps would be awesome though! Anyone have a link to these things?

yeah was expecting to hear something like that, thanks for the confirmation. now I know where to go with this! u recommend the ipike from hanook?

i've no idea what tire that is, I just do all of my research on tirerack (except for track/summer tires of course). I would just go on tire rack and read the reviews and comparisons, it's a pretty objective website besides the user ratings. good luck!

u recommend the ipike from hanook?

hankook winter ipikes are the shizzy. just dont drive them in the summer i learned the hard way this last summer when i sold my summer rims to buy a flatscreen for the bedroom cause the gf was complainin, lol. but ipike+hot summer pavement=ice ridge grips on the tire start breaking off. not cool. luckily on a little bit of my front tire had this happen so their still good and the backs are fine. so if you get these tires, make sure you have another set of whatever you want for the summer

Archived