LegacyGT.com

Vermont is going to Kill me

massdrewski

So far, every single time I head towards manchester or other towns in the area (I just moved to londonderry), I have somoene cut me off or pass me and whip into the lane again by almost hitting me which forces me to slam on my brakes.

Today I counted twice that this happened. two different vehicles.

And then there are the people I will drive by, they pull onto the road, catch up and proceed to put the high beams on.

.....why?.....

Driving too slow? In the left lane? Vermont drivers tend to go pretty fast - posted limits aren't as well adhered-to. And, out in the country areas, I've noticed that if someone is behind you and you are going relatively slow, most people will pull out of the way as a courtesy... maybe you're not doing that, so people are getting annoyed at you?

Slow does not mean safe... that said, I don't know how you drive, so I can't say anything more on that.

If people are cutting you off or high-beaming you, it's likely you're doing something wrong. Sure, you may be at the speed limit, but even in MA, that doesn't mean you're safe or "right". Continuing to do whatever it is that you're doing is not a solution, either. You should find out what the problem is (somehow) and resolve it... otherwise you're just being a jerk on the road.

If you don't want to go above the speed limit, that's fine... then get out of the way. Like I said, I know in VT if you don't get out of the way, you're being discourteous to the other drivers on the road... and unsafe. The safest speed to travel is "with the flow of traffic" no matter what the signs say... this has been proven time and time again by numerous studies around the world.

wth that makes no sense...

If people are cutting you off or high-beaming you, it's likely you're doing something wrong.

what??? depends on the situation... if ur already bumper to bumper and ppl flashing you then THOSE ppl are jerks and doing something wrong...

The safest speed to travel is "with the flow of traffic" no matter what the signs say...

ummm... wuh... and thats why the cops pull you over for going 80-85 on the pike going with the 'flow' of traffic... thats why u see the cop driving in the left lane and ppl in the left lane move over to the mid. or u see the cop with his radar gun on the highway...

and left lane is 'passing lane.' of course its courteous to move over a lane if nobody is in front of u and somebody is coming from behind at a faster speed. otherwise yes, you are a jerk if you are going the speed limit in the 'passing lane' :lol:

as to the OP, he hasnt really given any scenerio of what his driving situation is to determine if he IS the jerk or the other drivers are xD

actually schwinn makes alot of sense. albet it is bias towards speeders. But you cant deny the studies done that prove that slower drivers cause more accidents. There was an article that idaho increased their speed limit and found that people dont go faster then they already were. The accident rate didnt increase and the speeding rate decreased.

massdrewski is staying right so i cant say hes doing anything wrong. To me if a slower driver is keeping right and not blocking traffic. Then all to him. Hes outa my way and im not on his A$5. Everyone wins.

The roads he is talking about are single lane non divided roads (rt 11 or rt 30 ?) with very little room to pull over or slow to let someone pass.

I know the area very well. I have a place in Londonderry too.

I have never had the problem you mentioned but then, I have never been accused of driving slow :lol:

Do you still have Mass Plates ??

You need to become a true Vermonter or consider yourself a second class weekend warrior. I'm there every Sun and Mon but get respect from locals because I'll drive like them and shake my head at other people unfamiliar with the areas. Most roads are friendly to our cars in dry conditions so the speed limit plus some gets the job done but if you're playing it safe, pull aside and let um pass then follow their moves to learn the road and aces to go quicker.

Sorry if it sounds dicky. I'll meet up with you at Snow in a month or so. You still working up there?

what??? depends on the situation... if ur already bumper to bumper and ppl flashing you then THOSE ppl are jerks and doing something wrong...
Agreed, but seeing that the OP is finding this is happening a lot, then it's more likely that the OP is the one being the problem. I figure the OP wouldn't have posted if it was a one-time occurrence, and the post confirmed it was frequent.

As for the rest of the statements I made... F-WDC said it for me. Granted, I am "speeder biased" but as we both mentioned, the facts show that speeding (on highways) is not the problem it's been made out to be all these years...

http://www.motorists.org/speedlimits/

But, as F-WDC put it best, "if a slower driver is keeping right and not blocking traffic. Then all to him. Hes outa my way and im not on his A$5. Everyone wins" Well said, and I agree with you completely.

^+1 on the link buddy..!!!

The roads he is talking about are single lane non divided roads (rt 11 or rt 30 ?) with very little room to pull over or slow to let someone pass.

I know the area very well. I have a place in Londonderry too.

I have never had the problem you mentioned but then, I have never been accused of driving slow :lol:

Do you still have Mass Plates ??

Well if its one lane roads and hes goin to speed limit. I dont know anymore.

In my town they painted jogging/biking lanes on one of the main roads and eveyeone dropped their speed to 25mph in a 35mph zone. PISSES ME OFF.

In VT you can pretty much pass anywhere that isn't marked by a "No Passing" or "Do Not Pass" sign. Of course, the lack of straight stretches in most of our roads seriously limits good passing spots.

If the OP still has MA plates, that's causing most of the reactions he gets. Most of my fellow Vermonters have absolutely no tolerance for any car with MA plates that's not driving like a Vermonter. If the Vermonter in question is a political/cultural conservative, they'll never treat you well because they blame you for what they see as the creeping extermination of Vermont as they knew it.

In short, get yourself some green plates.

LGTLW: yea, Ill be up at stratton when the snow starts falling. im in Londonderry right now at the base of Magic Mountain. Im staying at the stratton employee houseing at the "dostal's". this place should be condemned and torn down. The mountain offers a shuttle to and from work so Ill stay off the roads till then.

LGTLW: yea, Ill be up at stratton when the snow starts falling. im in Londonderry right now at the base of Magic Mountain. Im staying at the stratton employee houseing at the "dostal's". this place should be condemned and torn down. The mountain offers a shuttle to and from work so Ill stay off the roads till then.

What do you do at Stratton?

I'm a snowboard Instructor/Trainer.

Luckily I have never had to live in employee housing but I've seen some

not 4 star accommodation's for sure :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Drew,

That sucks man. It is sad but ironic you made this thread prior to busting your ass. Stratton should take is as a injury-note (like suicide note) and call it intentional. JK JK, get better cuz we're going to take some runs and hit the bar, k cool

Archived