• Last Reply

We need some food for Sunday. Can people bring the following:

Bratwurst (RyanGT)

Buns

Chips

Baked Beans

Soda (Tracer-X)

BYOB (I'm all out)

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

Here are the supplemental rules for our race location: http://www.chumpcar.com/event_pdfs/Portland2010SupplementalRules.pdf

Also, if you haven't read these yet here are the main rules:

http://chumpcar.com/ChumpCar_rules_2010.pdf

Please read these and become dare I say...intimate with them.:wub:

EL4NFZT7

Something to talk about. The race will now be in the dark and we are allowed to run with headlights. I'd like to do HID because they are bright and cheap. If we do we'd have to add some sort of cut off to the stock headlight housings or retrofit them to projectors. Another thought is to buy some projector fog lights and throw some HID in them. You can get the fogs for $40 shipped and HID kits for $30-50 shipped. Anyone know if projector foglights will work for headlights?

These are the ones that I was looking at:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MK1-UNIVERSAL-FIT-PROJECTOR-FOG-LIGHTS-HID-KIT-READY-/380230112723?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58877b15d3

EL4NFZT7

Just priced a H3 55w 4,500k HID kit for 49.99+13.45 shipping. 35w is $10 less.

We could go with full sized ballasts and save an additional $10, $29.95(35w) $39.95(55w) +$13.92 shipping.

EL4NFZT7

Anyone know if projector foglights will work for headlights?

I really doubt it - fog lights have a much wider beam, for a shorter distance.

Do the rules say anything about headlights? I'd hate to get booted out for running 55w HIDs. Have other cars run them?

I really doubt it - fog lights have a much wider beam, for a shorter distance.

Do the rules say anything about headlights? I'd hate to get booted out for running 55w HIDs. Have other cars run them?

Just re-read the rules this morning. Here is what applies to the headlights:

4.7.1.2.1. All cars must be equipped with headlights. Headlights may be OEM or aftermarket. No car may have more than four (4) headlights. No single headlight shall exceed 60W for H3 or H4 bulbs, or 35W for H.I.D. bulbs.

4.7.1.2.3. All headlights shall be installed or mounted at any location forward of the centerline of the front wheels. The centerline of all headlight lenses shall be no higher than 6 inches above the highest point of the car’s front fenders.

4.7.1.2.5. Headlights must be aimed properly, such that all light is directed at track level. Cars with improperly aimed or blinding lights will be black-flagged and penalized.

4.7.1.2.6. Any car that loses 50% of its total headlight illumination OR 50% of its total taillight illumination shall be black-flagged and brought-in to repair those lights.

4.7.1.2.7. During daylight hours all headlights shall be covered or taped. They may also be removed.

4.7.1.2.8. Headlight and taillight assemblies (and all associated hardware) are considered safety items and does not count toward your car’s $500 total value.

4.7.1.2.9. All plastic lenses that may be damaged from vehicle contact are to be taped-over with clear packaging or other strong clear tape. Do not use Scotch tape.

The rules will let us run with 4 headlight assemblies. I've got 4 Hella 500's we could use. We could stick HID's in them if they don't blind others. One set is a pencil beam and the other set is a fog. We could make some sort of quick release wiring harness and mount in install them when it gets dark.

EL4NFZT7

We would mount the Hellas where the headlights were to minimize drag.

Here are some projectors that can be retrofited and come with the HID setup minus the ballasts: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200404368832&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

EL4NFZT7

Archived