LegacyGT.com

My CarPC Thread..

timmahh

www.subaruparts.com

I dont have the part # in front of me tho.

They're under $100 iirc.

yea, itsme, I have win7 on my work laptop and home machine and I absolutely love it. It blows vista away.. its super fast too on these machines, but it needs at least 2 gb of ram to be comfortable it seems.

Are ATOM setups still maxed out at 2gb of ram?

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My Zotac ION-ITX D-E says it can support up to 4GB

.. but I only have 2GB in it; i'm not sure if another 2GB is worth taking the thing apart!

dark........... youcannotleave!

How much and where did you get yours from?

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Where can I get more info on CF3

Looks like CF3 is out.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll313/v2030/cf3.jpg

Ok, i'm going with the info panel relocation kit.. I have to order new info panel/clock and i'm not about to rip it apart!

My original idea would have been great, but it's just not going to work with the items we have from the factory.. not to mention I hadn't even gotten to the airbag part of things and it was already getting a bit annoying. 07+ people would have less issues I think as it's just a clock at that point.

So, I pulled the info panel apart, and unsoldered the display unit, my plan was to extend it out by soldering wire to the board and to the display panel, however the extreme heat on my cheap ass soldering iron caused the copper contacts on the board to come loose - not to mention I couldn't get the solder to stick to a wire and the leads on the display unit. I played with it for a while and gave up when one of the leads broke.

I bought a sample pack of tinted acryllic to put behind the opening of the OEM Nav buttons, I again had high hopes that I am a genius fabricator/modifier of all things and went to work.. My idea was to cut a rectangle slightly bigger than the opening and then dremel the size of the opening so it sits flush and looks clean, but it's near impossible for me to dremel it 100% flat, level, and even, so i'll still put the tinted acryllic there, but it's not going to sit 100% flush.. guess that's ok :(

Right now the only thing that will be behind it is the IR sensor for the screen, not sure what else to put there.. maybe a USB port or two?

So feeling a little beat at this point, still excited overall about project but i'm in one of those "i suck at everything" moods.

Waiting for my leptronix which should be here in the next few days I hope, going to start running some wire and prepping for the install.. Also I think i'll install CF2 again for now as there are no garmin plugins working with CF3 currently.

Wires are in place.. I think all I really need to do is tap into ignition+ and then plug everything in..

Still working on the fill in for the piece below the screen, but I started thinking [which is bad], what are your thoughts on me baking the acryllic sheet?

My thought is maybe I can bake it until it's soft, then I can sort of push it into the opening to get a flush perfect fit.. or somehow take a positive mold of it and then set the acryllic on top and bake them together, so the acrllic will "melt" down onto the mold

Thoughts? Feedback needed..!

Alright I guess everyone else has lost interest in CarPC stuff :(

Got it installed.. working pretty good. Need to relocate my GPS receiver because I have pretty much no signal which sucks, not exactly sure where to put it [i'd rather keep it inside the car]. Still need a microphone, but this morning I listened to my ipod the whole way to work woohoo!

My info panel relocate kit should be here today I think, after that I'll need to clean up my wiring and make a permenant install for the PC itself.

Thus far very happy!

I'll try and post pics/video in the next day or two. :)

:lol:

Got pics of everything installed? I don't know where you have your system located (so you might not have enough cable), but I put my GPS receiver on the passenger side A-Pillar. It has a magnetic base so it stuck fine and has a good clear view of the sky. Completely hidden, nobody would ever know.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I don't think the cable is long enough but I could plug it into my USB hub, the only problem is im running a USB powered hub so i'm afraid if I max it out there will not be enough juice for everything.. [i'll just have to buy a 12v hub I guess]

Is yours inside the car or outside the car?

No, have not lost interest. The site you posted is out of stock and trying to get my FMIC to market I'm out of money. ;)

No, have not lost interest. The site you posted is out of stock and trying to get my FMIC to market I'm out of money. ;)

Out of stock of what?

inside the car. covered by the a pillar plastic/fabric cover-thingie lol

ORLY?!?!! I had mine in the back by the 3rd brake light and windshield.. windows are tinted.. I get one 50% signal on a satellite, at the gas station I took it out and set it on top of the trunk... BAM! Like christmas, satellites everywhere..

My idea for the NAV opening was simple. Fill it and flush mount custom rubber push buttons. I just didn't know what to have them do. I wanted two for my garage door, and maybe tie in some of the buttons that come with the screen. Then get the piece silk-screened with labels so it looks factory.

I wish the buttons were independent of the OEM nav, so they could be purchased separately.

Saddly, they are not, so custom would have had to suffice. It's just really hard to make custom look OEM, and if it doesn't look OEM, it isn't worth doing. That's my main hesitation about the project I want to undertake. I have a gaping hole under the screen. Fill it, and it looks terrible. Put ghetto buttons in it, and it looks terrible.

You have to make it look OEM, or it will look terrible. So you make buttons. But what do those buttons do? That's yet another difficult part.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My idea for the NAV opening was simple. Fill it and flush mount custom rubber push buttons. I just didn't know what to have them do. I wanted two for my garage door, and maybe tie in some of the buttons that come with the screen. Then get the piece silk-screened with labels so it looks factory.

I wish the buttons were independent of the OEM nav, so they could be purchased separately.

Saddly, they are not, so custom would have had to suffice. It's just really hard to make custom look OEM, and if it doesn't look OEM, it isn't worth doing. That's my main hesitation about the project I want to undertake. I have a gaping hole under the screen. Fill it, and it looks terrible. Put ghetto buttons in it, and it looks terrible.

You have to make it look OEM, or it will look terrible. So you make buttons. But what do those buttons do? That's yet another difficult part.

Yeah thats why I was trying to cut tinted acrylic to fit and be flush but I can't do it.

There is a local plastic company that does plexi windshields n stuff.. wonder how much it might cost to have something this small done!

How thick is the acrylic?

There is an easier method than what you are doing. The face of the bezel is slightly rounded, right?

Get a piece of thin-gauge aluminum. Bend it so it matches the curvature of the bezel. Put the acrylic on top of the aluminum and hit it with a heat gun. Let it fall into shape, then let it cool.

To cut the shapes out, I'd lay it on top of the bezel and trace the cutout onto the back of the acrylic. Then I'd head to the bandsaw. I hope you taped the front and back of the acrylic with painters tape before the bandsaw. Cut it just outside the line you drew.

Do a test-fit and see if it slides into place. Trim down the snug spots with a dremel. Once you have it so it fits, clean up the edges with something like a putty knife and a lighter. You want to warm the knife up enough to smooth the edges, but not so much that you totally melt and distort the piece.

That should do the trick.

Your other option is to make a plug out of balsa wood, then fiberglass it. I did that before, and it turned out mediocre.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^^^ ahh

Well I moved the GPS receiver to under the trunk lid.. seems to be working ok there.

I definately have a voltage issue.. When I roll my window up and it stops, my iPod turns off.

?!?!!?!?!?!

Yeah.. I started thinking WTF did I cross to make that happen, but it's a passive USB hub that doesn't even charge my ipod, so my assumption is when there's a voltage change the hub is just turning off and back on. I'm confident when I get a 12v powered USB hub my issue will be gone, because i'm pretty sure I didn't wire my ipod into my window regulators.

I installed my info panel relocate kit last night, requires a little bit of modification for an ok-ish fit, but the extension wire that comes with it causes an airbag light to come up, so I need to look at the wiring and figure out what's missing or swapped

You can heat the acrylic up in the oven. Use low heat and more time. You don't want it to melt, just become pliable.

I'd imagine 150* for 3 or 4 minutes would be OK. Experiment.

Archived