LegacyGT.com

My CarPC Thread..

timmahh

So what are you going to do with that bottom gap? I hope you'll do something more than fill it...

What about the OEM radio. Will you no longer be using it?

My main reason against using a Carputer is just that. I can't allow myself to have the entire radio function of my car disabled. That would just drive me insane. A hybrid system would be ideal for me.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, timmah I'd love to see how you're holding the screen on. That looks like a pretty good solution.

Where are you planning to mount the computer?

@BAC, you could get one of the double-din consoles and then get a HD (or regular) USB module and run your radio from that. Only difference is that you would have the touch screen where your headunit is now, instead of in the cubby area.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

that's a lilliput screen. Is it daylight readable?

mine was a xenarc and it was taller'n yours.

looks like the lilliput works better for this application.

WHY CANT I FOREGT THIS!?

ugh, I'm such a technophile. :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

:lol:

Looks like f1 is right. I don't think he's mounting the screen to the front of the bezel... more like... to the sides. Looks like he made a bracket that screws into the HVAC vents using a plastic spacer.

I think.

Mo-Co-So.com (Mobile Computer Store) sells a double din bracket; you take the guts of the EBY 701 or a 629 and move it over. I drilled holes into the vents and i'm securing the screen to the vents

It is not a daylight readable monitor but it is the '2009' version which is brighter than previous models and is LED Backlit so theres no warmup time in cold situations.

RE: The bottom area... I kind of want to try my idea before I bring it up so people don't say haha fat chance!!! ;)

I'd rather not fry my touchscreen immediately so I need to figure out what to do, as of now I loosened the screws and move it back just a tad so there is a small gap between the monitor and the opening, no more touching issue.

I'd like to point out that I did have to dremel the MoCoSo frame a bit to make it sit flush behind the factory bezel, w/o any modification when you put the screen back there one side is hitting the MoCoSo frame and it doesn't sit flush all the way around.

:)

:eek:

:facepalm:

why in the hell did I spend so much time trying to make this thing fit the other way when all I needed was a double din bracket kit?!

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

:eek:

:facepalm:

why in the hell did I spend so much time trying to make this thing fit the other way when all I needed was a double din bracket kit?!

I have no idea... ?!

BAC - RE: the radio, I really don't want to get rid of it, so i'm going either get an 07+ radio w/ OEM AUX-In or i'll go the leptronix aux-in route. It's near impossible to find an 07+ OEM Radio w/ auto climate, so i'll 99.999% go with leptronix unless something pops up.

When I had my TL I listened to my iPod or XM.. No radio, or hardly ever anyways, and the only thing I listened to on a disc was DVD-Audio [i do miss that], since the Leggy doesn't have that I don't think i'll ever take it off the aux source, but i'd like the option - and again I want a clean factory look, so keeping the radio is a priority for me.

Anywho, the frame is $30:

http://mo-co-so.com/cart/products/Double_DIN_Lilliput_701_629_Monitor_Frame-142-28.html

http://www.fuzi0n.com/imgz/cars/subaru/carpc/mocosoframe.jpg

I bought all of my PC components through mini-box.com because they are in SoCal and shipped fast, I bought my monitor/frame/bluetooth/GPS from MoCoSo because mini-box didn't have the stuff I wanted, though waiting for the shipment from PA was insane because I hate waiting for things.

I also just found out they sell a replacement EBY 701 touch panel for $35, so if something does fry it's not too much of a dent in the pocket!

how long does it take the comp to boot?

It's pretty dang fast, I have to time it but when it comes up from hibernate it's not long at all, I'd say its equal to or maybe a little less than the time it took my factory nav in the TL to get to the "OK" screen

:lol:

Looks like f1 is right. I don't think he's mounting the screen to the front of the bezel... more like... to the sides. Looks like he made a bracket that screws into the HVAC vents using a plastic spacer.

I think.

Correct - Only the left side needs a spacer, which I need to fine tune a bit because I did a hack up job with my dremel while holding it and not trying to slice off a finger!

What about the OEM radio. Will you no longer be using it?

My main reason against using a Carputer is just that. I can't allow myself to have the entire radio function of my car disabled. That would just drive me insane. A hybrid system would be ideal for me.

I'm just using my CarPC for nav and tuning / logging. My stock radio system had been upgraded to an MP3-capable (2006) head unit, but otherwise it's all stock. With 4 discs of MP3s plus whatever 2 CDs I bought most recently, I'm pretty happy. In my personal opinion, the user interface of the factory system is better than any of the CarPC stuff I've seen so far. It has a volume knob, for example. :-)

I still plan to use my CarPC for audio at some point, and switch out the stock radio for one of the double-DIN setups, and put a big volume knob and maybe some gauges there...

Nav and tuning / logging were the things I wanted most. Bluetooth phone integration is my next big priority, music is quite a bit further down the list.

damnit timmah, you're getting me interested in this proejct again!

STOP IT! :lol:

my cars 4 years old and has 70k miles on it! its TOO OLD for this!! :mad::(

Ok I think I resolved the constant touch issue; I used 3M double sided tape around the top and bottom of the frame to space it out a little bit, there's a small air gap between the bezel and the screen but it needs to be there, if it's touching the screen at all.. bad news!

Ordered the leptronix aux-in yesterday, installed retail Win 7 and setting everything up again.. except I already activated my garmin nav on the win 7 RC so now its telling me invalid code! I have to call them and see if they can unlock it, i've read that it's one time use only so if that's the case they better send me a new one.. Complete BS you can't reinstall your own software!

Trip computer is going to be a hell of a task if I decide to take it on.. looking at it again last night made me seriously consider the info panel relocate kit!

The website is poocrap, I login but I can't get to my acct to download or anything else..

yeah they were having problems with it earlier. seems to be fixed now.

i'm not very impressed with CF3. it's pretty much CF2 but re-skinned. it's got a COUPLE new features that are welcome, but overall, i'm not sure if i'm gonna switch right away.

gonna wait for most of the plugins to be ported.

What are you doing with the gap below the screen?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived