LegacyGT.com

Kill - new CLS500

Disclaimer: if you like to rebuke drivers that exceed 100 mph on a public highway, please hit the BACK arrow.

Man, did I have some fun on the drive into work today. I've been trying to a "good boy" and keep my speed under 90 mph - mostly because of the outragious price of supreme gasoline. However, I couldn't resist this opportunity. Running in the fast lane but not going faster than about 85 mph when I notice some bright white HID lights approaching very fast. Decided to hold my lane since I was traveling a decent speed in the "fast lane." If the guy had just moved right and maintained his speed (probably just over 100 mph) he would have passed by so fast that I could have resisted the urge (maybe!).

But NO, this clown pulls right on my rear bumper about 1/2-car length back. Then he has the audacity to flash high bright lights like he's driving the German autobahn. From the front end view, at first, I thought it was the new SLK350 coupe. After a moment he pulled to the right (center) lane and floored it. I hesitated for just a second to get a look at his face. He didn't look back. But it put his car about 3/4-car ahead and I saw the trunk badging CLS500. Beautiful car with lovely dual exhaust. Downshift to third, boost rises fast and within 2-3 seconds it's door handle-to-door handle. Right foot planted firm, shift to 4th and keepin it floored. [Yes, the road was actually pretty wide open with maybe a half dozen cars visible ahead for a mile or so.] Past 100 mph, my LGT stage 2 pulled away slowly but steadily. By redline in 4th, traveling just over 130 mph, I had about a 3-4 car lead. Traffic approaches and we both brake down. I must say, the Benz slowed real fast. Must have gigantic brakes.

A minute or so getting thru traffic and the road opens up again. I was courteous and always left room for the Benz to hang right behind me. Nothing I dislike more than somebody trying to prove they can out-weave you in traffic. Could tell he wanted another run because he stayed right on my backside. Road opens up ahead. Already in 3rd gear so I just punch it. Exact same outcome. CLS500 hangs on my bumper for about 2-3 seconds and then the LGT starts to pull away. Again, pulled ahead a good 4 car lengths before slowing more gracefully after passing 135 mph. Pulled one lane over to "open the door." But the guy approaches mildly as we're cruisin about 90 mph. This time, he does look over and gives an appreciative head node. He had plenty of time to read my rearend so he knew that his ultra-pricey Benz was just walked by a sub-$30K Subaru (yes, with mods that make it worth about $35K). I was smiling big all the way to my desk to start writing this. That was fun!

Did a little on-line research and found this:

Automobile magazine website says, “ The U.S. model CLS500 arrives packing the 302-hp 24-valve 5.0-liter V-8. It's a fine, sonorous engine that feels as if it has more than 302 horses, probably because of its flat torque curve, which peaks with 339 lb-ft at 2700 rpm. The V-8 is hooked to the new Mercedes seven-speed automatic transmission, dubbed 7G-Tronic. The company claims this ratio-endowed box provides better acceleration (the CLS500 is said to dispatch 62 mph in less than six seconds) and better fuel economy than a five-speed automatic.”

I'm sure some will point to the hefty mass of big Benzes. That's not really the point. The cool part is running past guys that spend well over most our annual salaries on a car.

This pic is the actual color of the car I ran with. I must say, it really is a sexy vehicle.

MBCLS500.jpg.6568508cfa92265ecde8ae40f6e34b85.jpg

yeah, a good friend of ours has the CL500 .. I got to drive it, I wasn't exactly impressed ... the car was hella smooth, but ... I haven't driven it since he took it to Renntek and had a supercharger put on it :) I am pretty sure it isn't so "slow" anymore :) heh.

nice kill.

Personally, I think the car, like all benz's seem to be very well built (although they haven't benefited from their relationship to chrysler, in terms of initial quality, I've heard.)

I think an E55 AMG would be the one I would choose from MB. I think the CLS is kinda ugly. The arched window line on the top AND bottom makes the side profile look "squinty" and the body height over the rear wheels, accentuated by that curving window line looks bulky, and then tapers down to a "pinched" rear end treatment. not their best effort, IMHO.

The whole billing and advertizing the car as a 4-door coupe bothers me. So I looked it up. Here's the definition from Miriam Webster Online.

Main Entry: cou·pé

Variant(s): or coupe /kü-'pA, 2 often 'küp/

Function: noun

Etymology: French coupé, from past participle of couper to cut, strike

1 : a four-wheeled closed horse-drawn carriage for two persons inside with an outside seat for the driver in front

2 usually coupe : a 2-door automobile often seating only two persons; also : one with a tight-spaced rear seat -- compare SEDAN

A four door car can't be a coupé, by definition #2. The word "often" comes after 2-door. 2 doors is non-variable, but seating only two people is not mandatory. (which is how a "2+2" can still be a coupe, due to having 2 doors.)

The CLS is a Sport Sedan, not a 4 door coupe. A 4 door coupe is like a 4-legged bi-ped. A contradiction in terms.

Anyway, the point is, the car has a v8, more than 300hp and lb-Ft. of torque, and is german. It is a nice kill, LandShark, even if I don't like the other car so much...

Lesser weight, same horsepower and torque, makes good sense, but still feels good to take someone, but dude, 130 in traffic, weaving. Braver than me!

No, no......not in traffic. Between traffic "herds". The I-15 fwy in my neck of the hills (there are no woods in So.Cal) actually runs light traffic by California standards. When we were running over 100 mph there was maybe 1 car for every 100 yds.

i can't remember what the original title was -- obviously wasn't bad enough to stick in my mind.. oh well.

anyhow, nice kill :)

I'm not a fan of the styling of the CLS, but i can't deny that it is a pretty nice car otherwise.

I think Dan loves his job of Moderating the forum...

I am hoping that was meant as a joke. Didn't you know? I quit doing my regular job and my regular boss's job to moderate full-time. :D

o yea....another one for the LGT.

Great kill

excellent account...

mind-numbing fast speed

.....and 1 german sedan schooled

I must admit i like the style of teh CLS....definitely a looker. Too bad it didnt have CLS55 badge on the back...that would've added ..say about 20 more horses LOL :)

Landshark, Did you hit the speed limiter @135, or did you let off?

I have only a stg1, but I have run into the damn speed limiter a bunch of times! Most recently running down an EVO!

So I called Cobb about it the other day,and Trey is going to be making a map update!!! It should be available for download by this Friday afternoon!

Almost forgot, NICE KILL!!!! A friend has an E500 sedan and although not a particualry fast car off the line, catch it on a roll from 70-80 mph on up and it is a formidable competitor! Way to show him your a@@, I mean tail lights....

Nice kill! I'd have pulled over before running with him, though. No matter how fast you're going in the left lane, you should move over for someone passing. Technically, the left lane is only for passing - no one should ever pass on the right. And making someone hit the brakes because you don't move over just isn't cool. So...change lanes, then wax him :-)

Landshark, Did you hit the speed limiter @135, or did you let off?

I have only a stg1, but I have run into the damn speed limiter a bunch of times! Most recently running down an EVO!

So I called Cobb about it the other day,and Trey is going to be making a map update!!! It should be available for download by this Friday afternoon!

Almost forgot, NICE KILL!!!! A friend has an E500 sedan and although not a particualry fast car off the line, catch it on a roll from 70-80 mph on up and it is a formidable competitor! Way to show him your a@@, I mean tail lights....

No speed limiter anymore running AP stage 2. Cobb must have deleted it. I've had my LGT up to 150 mph just last week.

On a related note, I do struggle with the rev limiter and smooth gear shifting. I've got the 5MT, of course. On several occasions, I've had to "fight" the shifter to do a 4-5 shift at high speed (high rpms). Nothing like gear crunching or such, just a resistant shifter that doesn't seem to want to upshift. That's a distraction that I really don't enjoy when running well above 100 mph.

Nice kill! I'd have pulled over before running with him, though. No matter how fast you're going in the left lane, you should move over for someone passing. Technically, the left lane is only for passing - no one should ever pass on the right. And making someone hit the brakes because you don't move over just isn't cool. So...change lanes, then wax him :-)

This is actually called "lane discipline". It is a concept that most americans are completely oblivious of, and is incredibly annoying. Try doing this in Europe, and see what happens.

Nice kill.

come on guys, this "lane discipline" talks is lame in this case. I was traveling 85 mph. The posted speed limit is 70 mph. I think that most people would feel that doing 85 mph is adequate to be "worthy" of using the fast lane.

This guy was barreling along at over 100 mph. America is not Germany. We don't drive the highways with the rules of the road on the autobahn. Frankly, I wish very much that we did. I would be at home knowing that I could safely cruise the left lane at sustained speeds of +100 mph.

Archived