LegacyGT.com

mazdaspeed 6 for $28,000

holly flying bible salesman!

mazdaspeed 6 is finally out!!! just got pricing info on the sport and grand touring models: $28k and $30k. navigation optional ($2k), moonroof otpional ($.7k)... and that is pretty much it when it comes to options.

what do you guys think? has anyone seen/drove one yet? and yes, i am pretty excited :D

my mother has the 6 wagon and i like it a lot. just needs more power ;)

Honestly, I think the MS 6 has better features - Bose, navigation, and a few other things - but it somehow looks cheap. The Legacy, even with it's somewhat lacking higher end features, the design is executed far better and has a cleaner more luxurious look to it - plus the Legacy is quicker.

- Mike

Honestly, I think the MS 6 has better features - Bose, navigation, and a few other things - but it somehow looks cheap. The Legacy, even with it's somewhat lacking higher end features, the design is executed far better and has a cleaner more luxurious look to it - plus the Legacy is quicker.

- Mike

If the Bose is anything like the one in my RX-8, it's not that impressive. The legacy stereo without the sub sounded better and is louder, with the sub there is no comparison. Maybe the system in the MS6 will be better as there is more room to work with. The only things I am somewhat envious about is the Nav, steering wheel controls and DSC. I would have said the 6-speed, but for the most part 5 gears are enough, I'm rarely on the highway and do mostly city driving and country back roads. My co-worker may get one and I'm sure we will do a little "comparison".

Wasn't it quoted as being high 6 sec, low 7 sec 0-60 times? Not impressive, and the interior looks cheap, and the navi screen reminds me of those ancient laptop screens from years ago. Plus, wtf is up with the intercooler, how is cool air supposed to get to it if it doesn't have a scoop of vent to get to it? I see a lot of things I don't care about it. Shall I keep going on finding things that don't go together with it - like the stereo that stands out altogether looking like it's a mismatched aftermarket unit, blood red guages, rims that look kinda like they came from a saturn, the hood has such a big bulge makes you wonder if it's happy to see you, and the completely coffin black interior (they could've used some contrast).

- Mike

To heavy

To slow.

Hey, like an Audi, but I have to add over priced and to much maintenance for that German car feel.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Give the MazdaSpeed a chance. Recall how vigorously many people slagged the Legacy when its stats were first made public. I can recall things such as "Not enough horsepower for the weight, it's going to be a dog," or "$30k for a Subaru? No way," etc, etc.

I had occasion to drive a Mazda 6 for a weekend, and it was an excellent car, even with the 4-cylinder motor. The handling was fine, and it had many nice interior touches, particularly the louvered HVAC vents which click shut. I'm sure the MazdaSpeed 6 will be a very nice product. If there's a wagon version, I might even test-drive one, for curiosity's sake.

Kevin

Well handling issues are still up in the air, RE92s or not! :D Depends on what Haldex system is used, and how aggressively it is tuned. First tests mentioned it was easy to get the tail out to balance things out, later tests mentioned how it was understeering its way around the track. At the very least, some aftermarket tuning should get it to be decent.

-B

Give the MazdaSpeed a chance. Recall how vigorously many people slagged the Legacy when its stats were first made public. I can recall things such as "Not enough horsepower for the weight, it's going to be a dog," or "$30k for a Subaru? No way," etc, etc.

Exactly. And if people are willing to pay $28k+ for a Subaru they'll pay $28k+ for a Mazda if its a good car.

As for the intercooler, air gets ducted through the front grill opening along the hood and then through the IC.

There is only one thing that people can factually say about why the this car won't be good. And thats the fact that they're not making a wagon version :p

- Mike

most of these features are available on the Japanese version of the legacy. the nav system is available and some people have added it to their US version.

Bose isn't all that great in my opinion. and a stereo can easily be upgraded, not a transmision, balance, or engine.

perhaps that's why subaru is announcing a rumoured hp increase for 2006 LGTs.

i emailed SOA several times about the hp for 06. they aren't talking. when do you think we'll know? should we be able to find out somewhere vs. word of mouth from this salesman or that???

I read 7+ reviews of the MS6. All but one quoted 0-60 in the 6 second range. 6.2 to 6.8. There was one review that put it at 5.5 and I think it was probably a misprint. I think it will be competition for the Legacy but it is limited production, quite heavy and expensive. I don't think there will be much of a tuner following. Also with the WRX getting the 2.5 turbo engine will open up an even greater tuner market for the GT. Before I recently purchased my GT and the MS6 was on the list. I decided against it because I wanted a simple car that had proven reliability and a proven engine. I was in a buddy's 2 year old mazda 6 and it felt a little tired.

I've been very happy with my fiance's Mazda6, but have no desire to look at the Mazdaspeed6. I'm sure it will be a fine car, but it will sell for a lot more money to the end consumer than the LGT, irrespective of the listed MSRP's. I think that it will be every bit as quick as the LGT though. The 6.2 0-60 times seem very conservative given the nature of the car.

I will say that aside from a couple little rattles, our early 2003 Mazda6 is still tight and strong with 45K miles on it. I really don't think that there will be any real reliabilty issues with the Mazdaspeed6 motor as it is based on the Duratec 2.3 which has been in production in several forms for a couple years already. It's a well designed, light and versatile motor.

I think everyone should be happy the Legacy GT has competition. Will make Subaru keep improving the Legacy GT like they have to keep improving the STi to battle the EVO.[/quote I agree competition is a great motiviator to improve you product.

i haven't driven the Mazdaspeed 6 yet -- but before my previuos car was totalled and i was forced to buy a new car ahead of schedule - i was holding out until this summer for the MS6.

It looks like it will be a really nice car - i dont think i'll go running off to trade the legacy for it though.

Archived