LegacyGT.com

Grimlin's '09 SpecB

grimlin

My end goal for 2014 is to run a 10.9 in the 1/4 mile. *fingers crossed*

Even though it's still your daily how much weight reduction are you doing? I never did any 1/4 mile stuff but I did a lot of auto/rally-x and road courses when I had my turbo RS. The biggest differences in performance came with big weight reductions. I had removed the stereo and its speakers, the door panels, glove compartment door, rear seat, and everything in the trunk. I put everything, except the stereo and glove box, back together after events as it was also my daily driver.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even though it's still your daily how much weight reduction are you doing? I never did any 1/4 mile stuff but I did a lot of auto/rally-x and road courses when I had my turbo RS. The biggest differences in performance came with big weight reductions. I had removed the stereo and its speakers, the door panels, glove compartment door, rear seat, and everything in the trunk. I put everything, except the stereo and glove box, back together after events as it was also my daily driver.

At this moment I don't have plans to do much weight reduction since it's still my daily.

But that may change as I cont to explore cage options.

We weighed in the Legacy a few weeks ago while we were at the track and it weighed 3650-ish with a 200lb driver (not me) in it (IIRC). I'll weight it again in February when we go back.

• 3 months later...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/01/u6e3eret.jpg

So while I was in Houston for IFO a few weeks ago my GTX3582 took a dump. I've been looking around at different turbo options and decided on a Borg Warner.

I've also decided to upgrade my cams while I wait on my new turbo. Not sure yet which ones I'm going with because the Kelfords that I want are on back order.

We got my whole fuel system done a few weeks ago (now running ID2000's, dual Bosch 044's in a surge tank and a hardwired Walbro 400 in tank). My new goal is 600whp.

So far my best track time is a 11.9 in the 1/4 mile but it was the first pass down the track at low boost and we found an issue with the AP (which has since been fixed with the amazing help of Cobb)

I've also purchased a Cosworth intake manifold that I will be putting on later this year. I plan to powdercoat it first ( unsure of the color yet ). I want to set it up to be able to do a back to back comparison vs the stock manifold and see what the difference really is.

• 4 weeks later...
Got my new BorgWarner turbo and my new GSC cams in a few weeks back. Not sure when we are going to have time to mess with my car but I am registered to run the 1/2 mile event near Austin on July 12th.

• 2 months later...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/07/a5yzaheq.jpg

Not sure if the Borg Warner is going to fit yet (I have a GTX3582 as a back up turbo in case it doesn't) but we are trying to make it work

• 3 months later...

So I guess its been a while since I updated this thread.

I've done a few upgrades this year. I currently make 620whp at 34psi on E85.

Here is my current mod list.

AWDTuning Sleeved Stage4 engine

-Darton Sleeves

-JE Forged Pistons w/HD pins

-Pauter X-beam connecting rods

-ACL bearings

-Nitrated coated STi crank

-GSC S3 Cams

-Supertech +1mm Valves, GSC Springs & Retainers

Engine Mods:

-Borg Warner EFR9180 1.09AR

-Perrin FMIC (custom powdercoated)

-Injector Dynamics 2000cc Injectors

-Full Race Twin Scroll Kit

-Twin 38mm Tial Wastegates

-Grimmspeed Ported Intake Manifold (powdercoated)

-AWDTuning TGV Deletes (powdercoated)

-IAG -8AN fuel rails

-Custom AWD fuel system

-Grimmspeed 3-port BCS

-Crawford Air Oil Separator

-Kartboy oil cap

-Full Race Downpipe

-Perrin Exhaust

-Exedy Twin Disk Clutch

Suspension/ Wheels:

-Rays g-games 18' Wheels (street wheels)

-Eneki RPF1 17x8 Wheels w/M&H Drag Radials (drag racing wheels)

-Brembo Front and Rear Brakes

-Stoptech slotted Front Rotors

-DBA slotted Rear Rotors

-Hawk HP+ brake pads

-Stainless Steal brake lines

-Perrin 25mm Front Sway Bars

-Perrin 22mm Rear Sway Bar

-Whiteline Front Endlinks

-Whiteline Rear Endlinks

-Rear Stabilizer Support Brackets

-Cusco Front Cross Member Power Brace

-Cusco Rear Side Power Braces

-Cusco Rear Lower Power Brace

-AVO LCA Front Control Arm Bushings

-AVO Caster Bushing System

-Whiteline Front Roll Center/Bump Steer Correction Kit

-Whiteline Adjustable Rear Control Arm Kit

-Whiteline Rear Toe Lock Bolt Kit

-Whiteline Front Diff Bushing Kit

-KW V3 coilovers

-Driveshaft Shop 1000hp axles and upgraded hubs

15653547896_c67d5dc749_c.jpg

15510558847_f73d012650_c.jpg

Not that 620whp is anything to scoff at... but it seems a little low for your engine specs, on corn. Are you guys holding back for safety reasons?

Car is beautiful by the way! Wish I could keep my PA car that clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought 620whp is pretty high on the EJ....factor in trans (Except it's built...soooo, wcf?)???

I got no room to talk lol, 230whp over here....I can beat Civics and keep up with S197 Stangs lol. Realistically, I'd be happy with 350whp. 300whp would be ok.

So yes, the turbo, fuel system and engine are capable of more than 620hp but I have two factors working against me.

First, it's an 1100SE Mustang dyno. On average it reads 8-10% lower than most 500SE Mustang dynos. We have tested it back to back with almost all the 500SE Mustang dynos in our area and found that these results are very consistent.

Secondly my wastegates are routed back into my downpipe and I'm on the stock STi intake manifold. Due to these two reasons the back pressure I'm experiencing is crazy.

In fact, when I made 620whp I had my Magnaflow exhaust on my car. We believed it was one of the things holding me back. Well, I changed out the exhaust to a slightly larger one, the Perrin one I have now, and we put it back on the dyno and it made 651whp/578wtq at 34psi (lll post the graph when I get near a computer)

After the tracks close I'll be fixing my wastegates and installing my process west intake manifold and hopefully fixing the back pressure issue.

But honestly I'm not in a hurry because I have yet to go down the track or drive on the street at anything over 580whp.

My goal in this car is a 10.9 and I feel I can do that very well with the current power I have as long as I improve my driver mod.

Oh yeah and BTW my transmission is still stock as well. ;)

And the reason the graph crosses at 6000 is because I took a picture of the graph during the tuning session before he was done. I'm sure I have the 5500cross graph somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

So ran another 11.3 in the 1/4 mile at IFO Ennis last weekend. But sadly my new Exedy twin disk clutch proved to be a waste of money as it slipped in almost ever my gear going down the track. I honestly felt like I could have pulled a 11 or 10.9 off if it wasn't for the slipping clutch.

I had to turn it down and race at 550whp all day because anything more caused it to slip worse.

Bought a new Quarter Master twin disk that I will be installing next week. Headed back to the track in December for one last try at a 10.9 for the year.

Archived